• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Nickb123

Talk about graining …. That’s got it.
Cowhide seems to Grain up better than horse in a shorter amount of time .
100%! It just comes that way!
2C67A62E-C5E8-4C0C-A4A1-EB0485C480D7.jpeg

B-Man2

100%! It just comes that way!
View attachment 102855
And now that it’s been published by Gary Eastman that a lot of the contracts we always thought were Horsehide , we’re actually made from cowhide , I think that accounts for a lot of the graining and draping you see in WWII photos . I know that my cowhide jacket also drapes differently than my Horsehide one.

John Luder

My last post of the original WW2 jackets that I bought in the mid-'70s. Attached is the M-41 I got from Eddie and the boys at the Uniform Exchange. Well, I do have a couple Ike jackets, wool trousers and shirts that I got from them. I remember buying a brand-new G1 for about $200 in March, 1976, on my mother's birthday. When I showed it to her, she said thanks for the present, but it wasn't her style.
I had an M-38, with flapped pockets, but traded it for something I can't even remember.
I have reviewed the Army regs from August, 1941, and have copies of the Officer's Guide books for '43 and '44. For field use, they're simply referred to as "Jacket, Field". They didn't concern themselves with names and such. Fellas wore what they were issued. The regs also stated that existing stock could be depleted, and personal equipment could be used until worn out, thus, it was kosher for guys in '42 to still have and wear black neck ties.
Back inna day, when shelves were lousy with this "junk", collectors didn't use the term "Parson" jacket. They were simply M-38, and it had flapped pockets, and the M-41, no flaps. Real simple stuff.
It was obviously "used" when I got it. The man's laundry number is still somewhat visible. I can't find any tags anywhere and it looks like some honyocker painted the pull. Maybe the dude in combat. It looks like oil-based paint, but that's hardly dispositive.
Close-ups of the flag and patches in a following post.
I'll tell a little story in a following post about a reaction I once got when I wore this in public. Our French and/or German members may be amused, as might the Cousins.

IMG_8543.jpg
IMG_8544.jpg
IMG_8546.jpg
IMG_8545.jpg

John Luder

I attached the Airborne tab and chicken, and the flag, decades ago. Given the year, I've no doubt the flag is original. I was told by one whose opinion I trusted that the separate airborne tab was the older style of use.
On a mid-week June 6th evening, in the early '80s, my wife and I were strolling down Montana Avenue in Santa Monica. It was like a promenade for the locals to see and be seen on a balmy early-summer's eve. Very fancy people and locations. Saw that midget Schwarzenegger there once, he lived nearby. He was only about 5'10" at the most. Could he kick my ass? Sure. You bet, but at that age, I could outrun him with his muscle-bound steroidalized oxen legs. A tosser as governor. 'Zup with california, anyway?
As it was D-Day, I wore the jacket. As we walked west on the north side, I heard someone clear his (her?) throat, as if to hock up a gob of spit (not to be confused with the Italian delicacy, gabagool). It was a derisive hocking, no doubt about it.
Down around 10th Street, we crossed to the other side and headed back home. It happened again. I never saw who it was. Given the day and the jacket, I always figured it was Frenchman or a German who didn't dig the Yankees/Amerikanische schweinhunde.
As I was going through this story in my head a few weeks ago, it finally dawned on me that it was just a likely a jumper from the 82nd Airborne. Not a fast thinker, I.
My wife and I are going on a D-Day tour next year. England and the continent.
Questions for the Cousins, do you think anyone there on the Sceptered Isle would be offended by my B-10 with its War Lover nose-art and 703d patches, plus a flag (I have another one) worn on the right sleeve? Sure, there's no one still alive who flew in the 8th or RAF, but I want to be considerate of their progeny. The old French are also gone, and I know the young French will not be thrilled with the kit. And a Japanese in Germany will offer to buy it even if it doesn't fit.

Cheers, Mon Ami
Borgne Jacques
IMG_8736.jpg
IMG_8735.jpg

John Luder

I'm getting a 422 from 5 star in a few days' time. I'll show you the final cut when it arrives.
In the mean time, I'm still looking at 422s from various makers/sellers.
I've seen this headless photo used by a few disreputable sellers online.
I know I've seen him on this forum as one of our favorite makers modeling his jackets, I think Good Wear?
Can you imagine liars and cheats flogging fake goods in 'tinernet?

Oh, the humanity.
Jack
Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 11.40.31 PM.png

Harris_HTM

I'm getting a 422 from 5 star in a few days' time. I'll show you the final cut when it arrives.
In the mean time, I'm still looking at 422s from various makers/sellers.
I've seen this headless photo used by a few disreputable sellers online.
I know I've seen him on this forum as one of our favorite makers modeling his jackets, I think Good Wear?
Can you imagine liars and cheats flogging fake goods in 'tinernet?

Oh, the humanity.
Jack
View attachment 102961

Yep, John from GW. it is a standard practice of many obscure sellers and manufacturers, mainly from Asia, to steal photo's from both well known manufacturers and forums as this one and TFL. What one would receive, should he ever risk his money and ordering from them, would look really really different...

John Luder

One more thing this evening before I conk out.
I saw this shot as part of a youtube video about the Gherman (Gene Hackman as Sosabowski) surrender.
In the foreground is Van Lingo Mungo, or von Humperdink (My name is Inyerface Gofukyou; You killed my father; prepare to die) and an unadorned B-10 in the camera-right background.

At least, it look like the centered zipper of a 10, but it has a single leather triangle on the right breast.
Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? They think he's a righteous dude.

Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 9.36.03 PM.png

John Luder

Yep, John from GW. it is a standard practice of many obscure sellers and manufacturers, mainly from Asia, to steal photo's from both well known manufacturers and forums as this one and TFL. What one would receive, should he ever risk his money and ordering from them, would look really really different...
I never forget a face, but in his case, I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx.
I can't imagine the p.o.s that would arrive from such a 'dealer'.

Micawber

I attached the Airborne tab and chicken, and the flag, decades ago. Given the year, I've no doubt the flag is original. I was told by one whose opinion I trusted that the separate airborne tab was the older style of use.
On a mid-week June 6th evening, in the early '80s, my wife and I were strolling down Montana Avenue in Santa Monica. It was like a promenade for the locals to see and be seen on a balmy early-summer's eve. Very fancy people and locations. Saw that midget Schwarzenegger there once, he lived nearby. He was only about 5'10" at the most. Could he kick my ass? Sure. You bet, but at that age, I could outrun him with his muscle-bound steroidalized oxen legs. A tosser as governor. 'Zup with california, anyway?
As it was D-Day, I wore the jacket. As we walked west on the north side, I heard someone clear his (her?) throat, as if to hock up a gob of spit (not to be confused with the Italian delicacy, gabagool). It was a derisive hocking, no doubt about it.
Down around 10th Street, we crossed to the other side and headed back home. It happened again. I never saw who it was. Given the day and the jacket, I always figured it was Frenchman or a German who didn't dig the Yankees/Amerikanische schweinhunde.
As I was going through this story in my head a few weeks ago, it finally dawned on me that it was just a likely a jumper from the 82nd Airborne. Not a fast thinker, I.
My wife and I are going on a D-Day tour next year. England and the continent.
Questions for the Cousins, do you think anyone there on the Sceptered Isle would be offended by my B-10 with its War Lover nose-art and 703d patches, plus a flag (I have another one) worn on the right sleeve? Sure, there's no one still alive who flew in the 8th or RAF, but I want to be considerate of their progeny. The old French are also gone, and I know the young French will not be thrilled with the kit. And a Japanese in Germany will offer to buy it even if it doesn't fit.

Cheers, Mon Ami
Borgne Jacques
View attachment 102951View attachment 102953

I doubt anyone in this sceptered isle would raise an eyebrow at you for wearing an authentic jacket as it will be interpreted as a tribute. We often had people wearing things like that when visiting our museum and as I live slap in the middle of what was 8AF country I sometimes see people dressed that way.
A lot depends on the "War Lover" aspect, I think it would be seen as a bit off if worn in churches, local or national cemeteries and the like.

BTW I am still in touch with a few 8th veterans although obviously their ranks are thinning.

Thomas Koehle

I doubt anyone in this sceptered isle would raise an eyebrow at you for wearing an authentic jacket as it will be interpreted as a tribute. We often had people wearing things like that when visiting our museum and as I live slap in the middle of what was 8AF country I sometimes see people dressed that way.
A lot depends on the "War Lover" aspect, I think it would be seen as a bit off if worn in churches, local or national cemeteries and the like.

BTW I am still in touch with a few 8th veterans although obviously their ranks are thinning.

I'd second that: noone over here in Europe would take it as an offense - even here in Germany no problem e3ven in the uncertain event you would meet a WW2 veteran ...

Besides that: i noticed in the US "stolen valour" is a big deal - in Germany you could wear even a generals ranks of the "Bundeswehr" without any hassle

And latest: i occasionall met Mr. Schwarzenegger a couple of times at work when i was "Head of Quality" for the Mercedes G-Wagon (he was "Brand Ambassador" for some time) and also private coz his familie's house was just about 10 minutes from my house when i lived in Austria - he is indeed rather short which you not expect if you saw him in all his movies