• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the limit on the price of a repro ?

FtrPlt

I'm intrigued by the perceived relationship between prices for repro jackets and prices for original jackets. From a price perspective, they are completely unrelated.

An original jacket is a historical item/collectible and its present-day 'price' is completely unrelated to its original cost.

A repro jacket, on the other hand, is entirely driven by current costs for materials, labor, desired margins, etc.

As to the original question of price? I stopped looking at new repro jackets when the prices went north of $700-800.

John Lever

I wonder where these are made ? The jacket looks passable and the same seller offers some nice m/c gloves. What catches my eye though is the leather scabbard for a Thomson SMG for Harley's...must put that on my Xmas list

John Lever

Please let's keep to the thread and stop any promotion or perceived promotions. Any slagging off in posts will be deleted.
Thanks

JDAM

FtrPlt said:
I'm intrigued by the perceived relationship between prices for repro jackets and prices for original jackets. From a price perspective, they are completely unrelated.

Strange thing, perception. I see them as the same thing - leather jackets, of pretty much identical construction and design. One new and the other old. If I can buy a decent original for the price of a repro then it's a no brainer to me. I do understand there's a market out there for folk who have neither the time or patience to find an original, or who prefer a mint unworn copy. That's fine. On the flip side, I don't have the time or patience to break-in a new jacket. Nor do I wear A-2 to social occasions where a worn one might get me strange looks or a raised eyebrow from the maitre d. My preference has always been a well worn jacket with that classic look and character. I don't like new A-2. For the most part, it's only originals that can instantaneously offer that classic used style. Yes, one can 'water-board', 'time-wear' or 'tumble-dry' a new one but...

Pass

Fail

A2_Red_5Harrygr.jpg

Vcruiser

I guess I shouldn't be so concerned with fitting my long torso and arms. That's been my main reason for going repro in an A2. I do have a nice original Aero that almost fits..but still shorter in the sleeve than I prefer. Before A2s..I became quite aggravated over the years searching for vintage civi leather jackets that fit well (it was a rarity)..so Repos in that arena seemed God sent to eliminate that hassle.
Van

FtrPlt

To go back to the original question -- limit on price of a repro -- I think the answer is that there is no limit. There will always be someone willing to pay, regardless of the cost.

Members online

Latest posts