• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is Capeskin? It's not Lamb, Goat, or common Sheep Skin.

Julius

Why then do so many original Capeskin A-1 & 37J1 jackets not display this vital characteristic? They are generally pretty smooth.

They do have it, but the quality of the pictures is not so good to see them.

I suggest watching "Only Angels Have Wings" with Cary Grant. You will not be able to see them. But in the photo I posted earlier you can see them because it's a better resolution image.

I further suggest looking for A-1 photos in photo databases like Getty images that store high resolution photo. There you will be able to see them.

Julius

examples:

You can't see them but they are there because they are a natural characteristic of capeskin

Getty images sell large versions of these photos and others from the same film at high resolution as follows
3779 x 3023 px (12.60 x 10.08 in)
300 dpi
11.4 MP
for $475 each

Maybe they will be visible in the large images.

I am also told that capeskin is not necessarily thick.

Last edited:

Skyhawk

Oh you mean like this?
Top-model-2.jpg

I am well acquainted with all those sources.

My research has turned up different conclusions.

Why is it do you think that the super grainy Capeskin doesn't sell well in the repro market?

Could it be that it is not really representative of the type of hide used in the majority of the original jackets?

Every hide can be tanned so that more or less grain shows. In the case of the 1920's-30's military jackets, the majority appear to have been tanned in a way to have less grain pop out. Although there are some grainy examples as well.

In the images that you posted above, I have to say that they are a good match to our Capeskin. See the comparison shots a few posts up.

Julius

The bubbles are not grain. They are something different. They cannot be hidden by any tanning method. They are there.
I have seen photos of skins with many bubbles, others with less. Some with big bubbles, others with small.

We need larger and more clearer photos than the one you posted to see them.

My conclusion is: no bubbles means not capeskin.

And in the photo you posted the leather of the far left and far right guys jackets looks very much like horsehide. You see, you can't be based on these photos, when the actual capeskin is out there and it has the bubbles.

Last edited:

Skyhawk

Seriously though Julious...

I use 100% genuine Capeskin. 100% fact.

I am a trusted Manufacturer and I don't think it is honorable to suggest my Capeskin is fake and then argue about it when I take the time to prove my case. Overwhelmingly.

Of course you are entitled to you opinion and I welcome critiques, but this is going a little too far. It is an attack on my integrity and because of that, I must stand up and protest.

Please put this to rest. I am not seeing much support for these accusations.

Thank you all for the interest in this topic. I find Capeskin and the history of it fascinating!:D

Julius

Smithy, I am no expert, I just said what's my criteria to buy.

But Skyhawk is not the only one of the vendors who doesn't know what capeskin is.
Look here:

Click the photos to enlarge them. That thing is a "very special capeskin".
It doesn't look anything like Skyhawk's or the thing with the bubbles. I guess that's what makes it so special.
(again I am no expert, but it looks like deerskin).

Julius

suggest my Capeskin is fake

I did not suggest anything.
You said capeskin comes from the hairy cape sheep and that is plain wrong
and since you offer capesheep it's not capeskin. I don't like to repeat myself but like I said before capeskin is from a different animal, not capesheep.

Skyhawk

Smithy, I am no expert, I just said what's my criteria to buy.

But Skyhawk is not the only one of the vendors who doesn't know what capeskin is.
Look here:

I do know what Capeskin is, thus this OP.

Self admittedly you're no expert. I am, I sell it. Stop with the accusations already.

So there's more than one hairy sheep on the cape of good hope? That's a new one on me.

B-Man2

Seriously though Julious...

I use 100% genuine Capeskin. 100% fact.

I am a trusted Manufacturer and I don't think it is honorable to suggest my Capeskin is fake and then argue about it when I take the time to prove my case. Overwhelmingly.

Of course you are entitled to you opinion and I welcome critiques, but this is going a little too far. It is an attack on my integrity and because of that, I must stand up and protest.

Please put this to rest. I am not seeing much support for these accusations.

Thank you all for the interest in this topic. I find Capeskin and the history of it fascinating!:D
Jay
You don’t need to say anything further to prove your point or to defend your integrity. Many of us have dealt with you and know that you’re one of the good guys here and we respect your knowledge, artistry, and integrity. The fact that you proved that your products are made from genuine Capeskin was unnecessary because most of us would have taken you at your word. This thread reminds me once again of my favorite quote by Einstein “ The difference between genius and stupidity is........that genius has it limits”!
Cheers

Skyhawk

Thanks Burt and I have always loved that quote!

I won't drag this out but something needed to be said, I felt. That's all.

I appreciate all of you guys out there! Some of us have made fantastic jackets together and I am always excited to create new jackets for people.

I am probably as excited as them when I see a finished jacket for the first time
:)

Julius

This thread reminds me once again of my favorite quote by Einstein “ The difference between genius and stupidity is........that genius has it limits”!

B-Man 2, you go ahead and buy your merino from that guy. Or even better buy one from Himel.

And I will buy whatever I like to buy.
Skyhawk, your leather is not capeskin and I bet you anything you want. It's a pity trying to fool these people. Pity to try to take advantage of their unlimited stupidity (right B-Man2?)

Skyhawk or Jay or whatever your name is, who is your tanner? So I can ask him if what he sells is capeskin. Let's see what he will say.

Edward

B-Man 2, you go ahead and buy your merino from that guy. Or even better buy one from Himel.

And I will buy whatever I like to buy.
Skyhawk, your leather is not capeskin and I bet you anything you want. It's a pity trying to fool these people. Pity to try to take advantage of their unlimited stupidity (right B-Man2?)

Skyhawk or Jay or whatever your name is, who is your tanner? So I can ask him if what he sells is capeskin. Let's see what he will say.
its moments like this where I'm reminded of the quote that I like... "Get a life!"