• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wanting an A1

jacketimp

1911A1US said:
Now that the jacket season here in the northeast is slowly ending,I have the urge to buy an A1,I see ELC`s A1 nice,Johns A1 at Goodwear nice,anyone own both,any opinions before I make that high dollar plunge.Brian

keep us updated when you take the plunge....with pix, of course!

A

Anonymous

John Lever said:
1911A1US said:
John: All of your A1s look great,right now it boils down to an A1 or the muffler on my Land Rover.

A-1
What's a ' muffler '?
John a muffler is a car exhaust ,Americans say muffler because it muffles the engine noise !.
All the best Jeff

Vcruiser

DUBOWA2 said:
John Lever said:
1911A1US said:
John: All of your A1s look great,right now it boils down to an A1 or the muffler on my Land Rover.

A-1
What's a ' muffler '?
John a muffler is a car exhaust ,Americans say muffler because it muffles the engine noise !.
All the best Jeff

I beg to slightly differ..
A muffler is a sort of silencer attached to a car or MC exhaust..that lessens the sound. :)
What do they call it in Britain...?
Van

bseal

jacketimp said:
1911A1US said:
Now that the jacket season here in the northeast is slowly ending,I have the urge to buy an A1,I see ELC`s A1 nice,Johns A1 at Goodwear nice,anyone own both,any opinions before I make that high dollar plunge.Brian

keep us updated when you take the plunge....with pix, of course!

Jacketimp, how about you keep us updated with pics of your purchases too? :lol:

airfrogusmc

jacketimp said:
greyhound52 said:
jacketimp said:
thanks, john!

i believe the ELC is based on a factual donor?

Yes based on ELC web site they had an original A-1 to use as a model. I have had both the GW and ELC. Like both of them. One could not go wrong with either model.

interesting......other than ELC where did the other repro makers of their A1 source their inspirations...........

Didn't Ken (Aero) have an original? Also Aero makes a sweet A-1 too. Great cape.

A

Anonymous

A muffler is a sort of silencer attached to a car or MC exhaust..that lessens the sound. :)
Van[/quote]

If you were English you would of explained it the same way as I did

Jeff

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
1911A1US said:

A-1
What's a ' muffler '?

John, you need to come back, and explain ... that whilst usually you know what a muffler is, if faced with the choice of buying one, or a new jacket .... temporary amnesia is likely to kick in.

John Lever

deeb7 said:
John Lever said:
1911A1US said:

A-1
What's a ' muffler '?

John, you need to come back, and explain ... that whilst usually you know what a muffler is, if faced with the choice of buying one, or a new jacket .... temporary amnesia is likely to kick in.
OK, I do know what a muffler is but I cheekily pretended not to to provoke discussion !
We call a ' muffler ' a ' silencer '.
Regarding the choice, then that would be very difficult but I think the silencer might be more of an evil necessity.
Jacketimp, we never see any of your jackets as Steve pointed out.

A

Anonymous

[.
Jacketimp, we never see any of your jackets as Steve pointed out.[/quote]

That because he does not have any to show ?

All the best Jeff

A

Anonymous

Van[/quote]

Well I lived in England for 30+ years and we always called it an exhaust pipe ,a silencer was on a motorcycle

But then what do i know John calls it a silencer !

All the best Jeff

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Here you go ...

diagram.jpg

Vcruiser

DUBOWA2 said:
Van

Well I lived in England for 30+ years and we always called it an exhaust pipe ,a silencer was on a motorcycle

But then what do i know John calls it a silencer !

All the best Jeff[/quote]

Well..here in the states...an "exhaust pipe" is a pipe or tubing that runs from the engine out the back of a car. The muffler is a seperate unit installed to quiet noise. Seems like there would be another name for a muffler than exhaust pipe...especially if you go to buy that unit(but then what do I know). I've lived in the US all my life. A motorcycle(here in the states) usually comes stock with muffers attached to the exhaust pipes...often changed to removable baffled type mufflers...or no mufflers at all...just exhaust pipes. Just an exhaust pipe doesn't seem to quiet much of anything(here in the States).
Van

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
Here you go ...

diagram.jpg

From what I reacll in England they don't really use the word "tailpipe" and exhaust pipe is used for what sticks out the back of the car. A muffler is a scarf! :)

A

Anonymous

Some descriptions I know do not make sense but I was around cars all my life and thats what everybody called it an exhaust or exhaust system.There are some things in this country that I do not understand Football for instance ,nobody kicks the ball except one person .Then there is world series and the only country involved is America?and world champions that just stupid .Then here you drive on the parkway and park on the driveway ?. It just general term of the area I guess regional wise .To me a silencer is something that is fitted to the end of a gun .A torch in England is a flashlight here and you need an early morning call in a hotel in England you asked to be knocked up .A toilet in England is a bathroom or a rest room here but there is no bath or bed , a flight jacket here is a flying jacket in England , and I can go on and on .I had to adjust to the American way of speaking other wise no one would under stand me .Just like the guy said an A1 or a muffler ,re deebs drawn picture if he said that to me I would think he would be changing everything up to the manifold not just that last section called muffler.Are we getting off topic somewhat .
Rgds Jeff

hacker

Could be in the middle of the car, could be at the back, but it always been called a muffler around here. Trust me on that...my shop has literally installed thousands of 'em in the past 25 years.....it's been exhausting work :p

Hacker

bfrench

Administrator
DUBOWA2 said:
Some descritions I know do not make sense but I was around cars all my life and thats what everybody called it an exhaust .SNIP
Rgds Jeff

How about calling it what it really is in both countries - an automotive exhaust system which incorporates all the same parts which have different nicknames in different parts of the world.

Bill French

A

Anonymous

Thanks Bill ,I think I will leave it at that and move on because I have exhausted this subject .I wil keep my mouth shut in future .

All the Best Jeff

A

Anonymous

Hi Van I got those northern pike pictures posted finally .Rgds Jeff

Vcruiser

bfrench said:
DUBOWA2 said:
Some descritions I know do not make sense but I was around cars all my life and thats what everybody called it an exhaust .SNIP
Rgds Jeff

How about calling it what it really is in both countries - an automotive exhaust system which incorporates all the same parts which have different nicknames in different parts of the world.

Bill French

OK,Snowman
If you car starts getting noisy....then eventually real loud out of the "exhaust pipe"....and you go into an Auto shop..or professional garage...What the hell would you ask for?? If that "quieting box shaped unit" inserted in the exhaust pipe had rusted out...and you needed a new one...just WHAT do you need?? You don't need a whole new exhaust pipe or exhaust system...you only need a..a..a..(jeeze..there's just no word for it!!)..especially in British speak. :?:
anonymous

jacketimp

bseal said:
[quote="jacketimpJacketimp, how about you keep us updated with pics of your purchases too? :lol:
[/quote][/quote]

no can do, steve........the last time i had to do i had to ask andrew swatland's help.... how's california?