• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wanting an A1

1911A1US

Now that the jacket season here in the northeast is slowly ending,I have the urge to buy an A1,I see ELC`s A1 nice,Johns A1 at Goodwear nice,anyone own both,any opinions before I make that high dollar plunge.Brian

John Lever

I do indeed, I also own the Buzz Rickson version.
All are A-1's but they are all different in some way.
The Eastman is a very beautifully made lightweight jacket that is wearable in warm weather, it feels quite fragile particularly where the knits meet the sleeves. The fit is tight over the shoulders
The Buzz is made of thick almost front quarter hh with tremendous colour and character. It costs a fortune and is almost certainly out of stock. The fit is fairy loose over the shoulders.
John's A-1 is more of a half way house, thicker skin than the Eastman and with more character but not as stiff and heavy as the Buzz. It's more of an individual jacket as there are options on leather, pocket size, shape and position. The one I have is a copy of the one in Full Gear [I think] as it's quite patinated and worn looking, though this not to everyone's taste.
Aero also do an a-1, in fact I used to own one but sold to Potton a few years ago. It was oil pull steer and went slightly pink coloured when it began to wear. One in Vintage HH would be a killer.
If cost isn't a problem then Chapal make a Cape skin one also but it's well over £1000 !!

jacketimp

John Lever said:
I do indeed, I also own the Buzz Rickson version.
All are A-1's but they are all different in some way.
The Eastman is a very beautifully made lightweight jacket that is wearable in warm weather, it feels quite fragile particularly where the knits meet the sleeves. The fit is tight over the shoulders
The Buzz is made of thick almost front quarter hh with tremendous colour and character. It costs a fortune and is almost certainly out of stock. The fit is fairy loose over the shoulders.
John's A-1 is more of a half way house, thicker skin than the Eastman and with more character but not as stiff and heavy as the Buzz. It's more of an individual jacket as there are options on leather, pocket size, shape and position. The one I have is a copy of the one in Full Gear [I think] as it's quite patinated and worn looking, though this not to everyone's taste.
Aero also do an a-1, in fact I used to own one but sold to Potton a few years ago. It was oil pull steer and went slightly pink coloured when it began to wear. One in Vintage HH would be a killer.
If cost isn't a problem then Chapal make a Cape skin one also but it's well over £1000 !!

john, some pix?

i can't go thru 51 pages of A1 thread........half blind as i am.......

much obliged.

John Lever

Eastman -

IMGP1889.jpg

IMGP1906.jpg

IMGP1910.jpg

IMGP1912.jpg

Aero-
2006-05-05040.jpg

2006-05-05041.jpg

2006-05-05043.jpg

GW-
IMGP1762.jpg

IMGP1761.jpg

IMGP1780.jpg

IMGP1784.jpg

IMGP1788.jpg

IMGP1794.jpg

IMGP1760.jpg

Buzz Rickson -
BuzzRicksons030.jpg

BuzzRicksons031.jpg

BuzzRicksons046.jpg

BuzzRicksons032.jpg

LW Civi -
IMGP1326.jpg

IMGP1327.jpg

Chris and Bevan probably have some shots of the superb Few A-1

greyhound52

jacketimp said:
thanks, john!

i believe the ELC is based on a factual donor?

Yes based on ELC web site they had an original A-1 to use as a model. I have had both the GW and ELC. Like both of them. One could not go wrong with either model.

jacketimp

greyhound52 said:
jacketimp said:
thanks, john!

i believe the ELC is based on a factual donor?

Yes based on ELC web site they had an original A-1 to use as a model. I have had both the GW and ELC. Like both of them. One could not go wrong with either model.

interesting......other than ELC where did the other repro makers of their A1 source their inspirations...........

zoomer

jacketimp said:
interesting......other than ELC where did the other repro makers of their A1 source their inspirations...........
Photos, apparently. This can be hit and miss.

I have the ELC "outmoded" A-1 in size 46. It's steer rather than cape, a reddish russet color, with a dull yellow brushed twill liner. It's also quite full cut, especially thru the shoulders and the waist.

IIRC, John Chapman at least inspected and measured different models of A-1.

jacketimp

zoomer said:
jacketimp said:
Photos, apparently. This can be hit and miss.

I have the ELC "outmoded" A-1 in size 46. It's steer rather than cape, a reddish russet color, with a dull yellow brushed twill liner. It's also quite full cut, especially thru the shoulders and the waist.

IIRC, John Chapman at least inspected and measured different models of A-1.

.......wonder who the donors may be......

bseal

1911A1US said:
Now that the jacket season here in the northeast is slowly ending,I have the urge to buy an A1,I see ELC`s A1 nice,Johns A1 at Goodwear nice,anyone own both,any opinions before I make that high dollar plunge.Brian

What size are you?

siddhartha

Administrator
I'll try to get pics up of The Few A-1, which I purchased from Bevan, but his pics in that other thread are quite good.

The horsehide is amazing on this jacket, thin, and drapes well.

Chris

jacketimp

siddhartha said:
I'll try to get pics up of The Few A-1, which I purchased from Bevan, but his pics in that other thread are quite good.

The horsehide is amazing on this jacket, thin, and drapes well.

Chris

chris,

is that the one you won on ebay? that's a beauty!