• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN M-421A Jacket

CombatWombat

I think I might have had a version of this when I was a younger teen
Mine was in a jungle green "Oxford cloth" (kind of like HBT) and the cuffs were more like a double button cuff shirt.
I always thought it was something that the Brits/Aussies made rather than Yanks since it resembles the "bush jackets" of the time

Wedge417

Just received mine! It's definitely well made and the shipping was very quick. I had them tailor it to shorten it to better fit my height and the cut is right on! Great job from 5*.
The only issue I have is the fabric color seems a bit too dark. It's more of a dark Havana color than the kaki US ARMY chino fabric.
The picture below is the jacket over my Buzz chinos. The contrast in is really striking
How did you guys lighten it? did you use bleach? Thanks for any advice.

I'll post a full picture when I've applied the name tag.
tempImagebFkVmY.jpg

mulceber

Just speculating, but maybe wash it and mix a bit of detergent for whites in with the regular detergent? I haven't tried this myself though, so I have no idea if that would work, leave it too light, leave it splotchy, etc.

Wedge417

Thanks for the advice. I guerre I'll have to experiment a bit.
Also I may be under the wrong impression. Maybe the jacket is supposed to be darker than chinos ? Looking on the internet some period jackets that survived seem a bit darker.
If anyone who owns an original can confirm...

ZuZu

Just received mine! It's definitely well made and the shipping was very quick. I had them tailor it to shorten it to better fit my height and the cut is right on! Great job from 5*.
The only issue I have is the fabric color seems a bit too dark. It's more of a dark Havana color than the kaki US ARMY chino fabric.
The picture below is the jacket over my Buzz chinos. The contrast in is really striking

View attachment 109485
My advice is don't fuck with it. To me the Buzz chinos look too light- the jacket is a bit dark but within range. Every time I've messed with stuff which involves a whole color change no good has come of it.

Thomas Koehle

View attachment 109485
I gave mines 2 tours in the washer - I used the detergent my wife usually uses for white clothes so I think there is some mild bleaching in there anyway …

2 full runs mean washing - lowest thumbling rpm - hang dry and check for the condition - then the 2nd run …

If you still don’t like it you can give her another tour or try bleaching

Cocker

Received mine last week, and I absolutely love it! Only I ordered my "regular" sleeve length (28 inches), but this is somehow too long for the M-421A. Not a problem, I've cuffed them for now and will have them altered by my local tailor. The rest of the fit is really great, and this jacket is a blast to have around for current weather.

I also received the absolutely fabulous patch @ties70 did for me. This depicts a patch from VMF-222 and is based on an original printed design held by Gregory Pons, the author of the USMC Aviators gear book. So yeah, this one holds a special place for me. The name tape is made by MASH and is looking really great, as with all their products.

I'll try to have some better pictures once the mods are done and the patches sewn on, but so far:

1684831547842.png

Wedge417

Received mine last week, and I absolutely love it! Only I ordered my "regular" sleeve length (28 inches), but this is somehow too long for the M-421A. Not a problem, I've cuffed them for now and will have them altered by my local tailor. The rest of the fit is really great, and this jacket is a blast to have around for current weather.

I also received the absolutely fabulous patch @ties70 did for me. This depicts a patch from VMF-222 and is based on an original printed design held by Gregory Pons, the author of the USMC Aviators gear book. So yeah, this one holds a special place for me. The name tape is made by MASH and is looking really great, as with all their products.

I'll try to have some better pictures once the mods are done and the patches sewn on, but so far:

View attachment 110407
Is it a 5 star? if so it looks way lighter than mine!??!!!

FlakMagnet

View attachment 110407
where did you get the nametag/wings from?

Geeboo

View attachment 110407
is it a 5-star ? has they change the material from twill to poplin cotton as seen from photo ?