• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN M-421A Jacket

Sideslip

Somehow, this thread led me to the 5 Star website... I am slightly confused by their sizing and my own. If my chest is 42 inches and I am 6 foot/183 cm, do I look to their Small (42-43) or their Medium (43-45)? I usually buy 44" jackets which are either M or L depending on the brand. Also, is it worth shooting Shawn a message with the rest of my measurements? What do you all recommend as this is my first time looking into 5 Star?

Back into the rabbit hole I go.

Thomas Koehle

Somehow, this thread led me to the 5 Star website... I am slightly confused by their sizing and my own. If my chest is 42 inches and I am 6 foot/183 cm, do I look to their Small (42-43) or their Medium (43-45)? I usually buy 44" jackets which are either M or L depending on the brand. Also, is it worth shooting Shawn a message with the rest of my measurements? What do you all recommend as this is my first time looking into 5 Star?

Back into the rabbit hole I go.

Take your most loved and best fitting trucker jeans jacket - not a leather jacket - take the shoulder and chest dimension and compare with the sizechart on 5* homepage.

Go from there to find your correct size. I for example use the same size I have in G1 jackets. Don’t let yourself get irritated by numbers or size descriptions but go for the actual dimensions. The sizechart is pretty true.

Depending on your shape I’d recommend a light taper. I needed slightly longer sleeves for using the jacket on my scooter.

If you’re still uncertain about what to do or to determine your size get in touch with Shawn.

Any more questions shoot me a pm

Wedge417

A bit late but here's some follow up on the 5* jacket I received. I'm quite satisfied with how it turned out for the money. I've never had nor seen an original so I can't compare but as far as a summer work jacket goes it's well crafted. Well enough that you can actually do some chores and the jacket is still in one piece at the end. The color is fading nicely.
As for the fit I don't know if I mentioned it but I had to ask for alterations from 5* as the orignal fit was too contemporary. I wanted a short waist, boxy short sleeve jacket like in most pictures I've seen and I think I got it close enough.

tempImagegEGOHi.jpg
tempImage5gW4UI.jpg

Thomas Koehle

A bit late but here's some follow up on the 5* jacket I received. I'm quite satisfied with how it turned out for the money. I've never had nor seen an original so I can't compare but as far as a summer work jacket goes it's well crafted. Well enough that you can actually do some chores and the jacket is still in one piece at the end. The color is fading nicely.
As for the fit I don't know if I mentioned it but I had to ask for alterations from 5* as the orignal fit was too contemporary. I wanted a short waist, boxy short sleeve jacket like in most pictures I've seen and I think I got it close enough.

View attachment 116575View attachment 116577
Looks convincing on both pics.

Like that fit

Enigma1938

View attachment 116575

What about the stencil? What does it mean?

Sideslip

Loving all the patches and fit picks of this jacket. As everyone seems to have done some customisation on the tailoring, I thought I would share the stock size I received from 5*.

@Thomas Koehle gave some very helpful advice on fit but I am doing major building works at home and a lot of my stuff is boxed up in storage so I could not compare measurements to my jean jacket.

IMG_1035.jpeg

It has not been washed, just worn (including a couple of flights) and really is practical and comfortable. I think it could be tapered a little more, but if I wear over looser trousers vs jeans, the fit is right. My wife and kids say not to taper it and seem to like it a lot. I am working on my JC pose.

For reference: size S, no alterations. I am 6 foot (183 cm), 43 inch (109 cm) chest, 83 kg.

Thinking of patches, I would actually like to get one made up with my 1946 aircraft registration; given the year it was built, I think it could work, but will perhaps need some artistic input and craftsmanship from some of the forum patch makers! No guns or bombs on my Luscombe 8E though :).

Enigma1938

Loving all the patches and fit picks of this jacket. As everyone seems to have done some customisation on the tailoring, I thought I would share the stock size I received from 5*.

@Thomas Koehle gave some very helpful advice on fit but I am doing major building works at home and a lot of my stuff is boxed up in storage so I could not compare measurements to my jean jacket.

View attachment 116705

It has not been washed, just worn (including a couple of flights) and really is practical and comfortable. I think it could be tapered a little more, but if I wear over looser trousers vs jeans, the fit is right. My wife and kids say not to taper it and seem to like it a lot. I am working on my JC pose.

For reference: size S, no alterations. I am 6 foot (183 cm), 43 inch (109 cm) chest, 83 kg.

Thinking of patches, I would actually like to get one made up with my 1946 aircraft registration; given the year it was built, I think it could work, but will perhaps need some artistic input and craftsmanship from some of the forum patch makers! No guns or bombs on my Luscombe 8E though :).

Fit seems just period correct ;)

Hazayad

also got some more original-photos off the net

zA2KZoH.jpg

Bmz9Tsp.jpg

Kr3LZTt.jpg

E0klxSh.jpg

BLKSBRT.jpg

ABzmkzg.jpg

hLZbe6S.jpg

Hv34CHr.jpg

Question: The leather nametags are sewn onto the jackets and always have been. What happens in the wash? I am asking as I just washed my 5* M-421a with patch attached and the writing and wings went walkabout... Arrrggghhh Just a bad patch?
What do you guys do if and when a cycle of soap and water is desperately needed on a cloth jacket with nametag sewn on?

Shanghai-Mayne

Question: The leather nametags are sewn onto the jackets and always have been. What happens in the wash? I am asking as I just washed my 5* M-421a with patch attached and the writing and wings went walkabout... Arrrggghhh Just a bad patch?
What do you guys do if and when a cycle of soap and water is desperately needed on a cloth jacket with nametag sewn on?
Perhaps, didn’t do the work process right. I own a jacket with leather tag, the tag withstand at least 8 washes by now.