• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Typical jacket buyer profile

Atticus

hacker said:
Atticus said:
I'm male.
I'm caucasian.
I'm of average means.
I've never been in the military.
I'm between the ages of 30 and 60.
I'm conservative, but definitely not in the way that most people here would employ that term.

AF

WTF?.......Are you posting on Find a Date. Com? :lol: :lol: :lol: ........and with that said....."I'm conservative, but definitely not in the way that most people here would employ that term.".....we really don't want to go there.... :eek:

Hack

Nah. I've had some dry spells in my life, but nothing that would make me go fishing in this pond.

AF

zoomer

Let me add to the typical profile:
-Is a dog person, not a cat person
-Favorite music: classic rock
-Is a jeans & khakis wearer, not into fine tailoring except that of leather jackets

John Lever

zoomer said:
-Is a jeans & khakis wearer, not into fine tailoring except that of leather jackets
I'm a cat and dog person and love Classical music. Have never been in the military.
What about the profile of buyers who collect ' enemy ' jackets ?
Both Germany and Japan are huge markets for repro's. I think it has more to do with a sentimental sense of style or the obsession with all things ' retro '.

bazelot

I really think there is no profile for this kind of enthusiast. It depends a lot on what you are interested in as a kid and then you start focusing on a particular area of your interest.
Take me for example:
-Always been interested in American memorabilia and pop culture (especially the golden decades 50-60s)
-liberal (may be conservative on some issues)
-Did a stint in the military (not by choice but because of mandatory service so was more a drag than anything else)
-French/American
-Love aviation in general (though I do not have a license myself (would be a bitch to sell the idea to the wife :)))
-Cat lover
-not an aficionado of fine tailoring (aka dress like shit)
-caucasian

zoomer

Yes, really, there is no "typical" - just a trend, a group of traits more common than others. But it doesn't represent a majority - except perhaps male and over 30.

(I'm a 41yo white middle-class non-veteran liberal cat person who listens to jazz and is into, basically, vintage everything, including aviation, tho I have never flown, even a sim game).

handworn

Well, I believe most collectors are men. Being obsessive is a defining characteristic both of collectors and of men, though of course what about varies as widely as the world. That's why action heroes are overwhelmingly men; establishing the motivation of obsessive people is much less work.

"Mostly caucasian" is not a surprise. Four out of every five people in the United States are Caucasian, so you're up to 80% right out of the starting gate, and black people mostly don't want to hearken back to a past in which their situation wasn't so good, Tuskegee Airmen or no. Those who might, just haven't happened across this place yet.

Between 30 and 60 is most of active, adult life. It doesn't narrow it down much. I don't believe those under 30 have no feeling for WWII, any more than those under 80 have no feeling for the Civil War. They simply lead less-settled lives; they're out there exploring, adventuring, building their lives. I bet they watched Band of Brothers right like everyone else. The seed has been planted.

Conservative? I don't know. I'm not. Moderate, is what I am. Nor am I particularly financially well off, and I never served in the military. What I would bet is that most people here are middle-class, regardless of income.

Curahee said:
- Male 99%
- Mostly caucasian
- Between 30 and 60 years of age
- Conservative
- Financially well of
- American 60%, Japanese 30%, European 10% (no Arabs I quess)
this group is slowly shrinking every year because
everybody younger than 30 has no feeling with WW2 era.

handworn

And I might add that these don't apply to me, either. Cat person, and I like both classic rock and fine tailoring but wouldn't call either my favorite.

zoomer said:

handworn

taikonaut said:
Peter Graham said:
taikonaut said:
I think there are lot more than 5,000.
50 million world wide would be a more believable figure and number growing every year.
50 million worldwide ! That's as bad as 5000. Where did you get that figure !

OK 500 million then!

Gotcha. One-sixth of all the men in the world. (Yeah, I know you were kidding.)

Peter Graham

Cat person
Punk rock
Poor
Slightly left of Fidel Castro
Never been in the military (early mornings do not agree with me)
Caucisian
trampish dress sense
Motorcycles & hotrods
43 years old
Big interest in WW2 history due to family influence.

hacker

johnny english said:
Is that an Iraqi Mig 29 ?

what about the Iranian Tomcat pilots , they love those Tom Cruise G1's

That was part of Jimmy Carter's legacy to middle east politics!.....When I was flight instructing back in Long Island, N.Y. in the 1970's Grumman was busy building and testing those F-14's for the Iranian Air Force. I would watch them take off on their initial shakedown flights. They were impressive!.....As there was on doubt that was the Navy's top fighter at that time, many felt it was foolish to send them to a questionable regime in the mid-east. Oh well!!!....

Hacker

Curahee

Peter Graham said:
Cat person
Punk rock
Poor
Slightly left of Fidel Castro
Never been in the military (early mornings do not agree with me)
Caucisian
trampish dress sense
Motorcycles & hotrods
43 years old
Big interest in WW2 history due to family influence.

First of all didn't want to offend anybody, just trying to start a conversation. I came up with this idea 'cause it seems to me
that you see the same people on all the other forums too (i.e. Fedora lounge and even the more obscure like the Original
Flying Tigers forum). The well of part I came up with because some have so many jackets repro and vintage that even
given the fact that most of you sell them after a period you still have to have some $$$$ lying around you can miss.
Besides I get some more info from my fellow jacketeers other than the standard info on the members section ;)

Peter, amazing you perfectly fit the profile of that 80's series "The Young Ones" (..and none taken btw) were you Neil ?

Oh, and I hate cats and love dogs, I'm 37, I always was a student of history and also WWII after the stories of my grand-
father who was taken by the Germans for the "Arbeiteinzats" (= forced laborer during the war) I love Eric Clapton & Gary Moore as well as Diana Krall & Duke Ellington, I've seen Top Gun at least 20 x, I'm no conservative, love my dockers and
sometimes wear a pair of jeans and fine tailoring I wear at funerals only. And I'm middle class with a working class background.

A

Anonymous

hacker said:
johnny english said:
Is that an Iraqi Mig 29 ?

what about the Iranian Tomcat pilots , they love those Tom Cruise G1's

That was part of Jimmy Carter's legacy to middle east politics!.....When I was flight instructing back in Long Island, N.Y. in the 1970's Grumman was busy building and testing those F-14's for the Iranian Air Force. I would watch them take off on their initial shakedown flights. They were impressive!.....As there was on doubt that was the Navy's top fighter at that time, many felt it was foolish to send them to a questionable regime in the mid-east. Oh well!!!....

Hacker
745_bin_laden_fighting_2050081722-9.jpg

Early 1980: Osama Bin Laden, with Saudi Backing, Supports Afghan Rebels

Bin Laden, dressed in combat fatigues, in Afghanistan during the 1980’s. (Note the image has been digitally altered the brighten the shadow on his face.) [Source: CNN]
Osama bin Laden begins providing financial, organizational, and engineering aid for the mujaheddin in Afghanistan, with the advice and support of the Saudi royal family. [NEW YORKER, 11/5/2001] Some, including Richard Clarke, counterterrorism “tsar” during the Clinton and George W. Bush administrations, believe he was handpicked for the job by Prince Turki al-Faisal, head of Saudi intelligence (see Early 1980 and After). [NEW YORKER, 11/5/2001; SUNDAY TIMES (LONDON), 8/25/2002] The Pakistani ISI want a Saudi prince as a public demonstration of the commitment of the Saudi royal family and as a way to ensure royal funds for the anti-Soviet forces. The agency fails to get royalty, but bin Laden, with his family’s influential ties, is good enough for the ISI. [MIAMI HERALD, 9/24/2001] (Clarke will argue later that the Saudis and other Muslim governments used the Afghan war in an attempt to get rid of their own misfits and troublemakers.) This multinational force later coalesces into al-Qaeda.
_42293264_saddam_getty.jpg

Yeah- It's all Jimmy Carter's fault... :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

A

Anonymous

IS USAFWSO OUT THERE TAKING NOTES, ARE WE GOING TO POST OUR PICTURES.