• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Weird Thing about Lost World's Dubows

bseal

LW’s marketing.

That’s how I would answer this thread topic.
I don’t need him playing upon my insecurities and low self esteem to make me buy something. Already have a spouse.

44157F16-1C87-402E-8DA8-2EBD8CA284A0.jpeg

Juanito

This guy suffers from the thin eps, probably that weird dark undercoated leather and the collar will never look right because the leather won't let it. So long story short- if you want a more accurate Dubow copy from Lost Worlds shrink yoursell to wear a 34 or 36... weird!

Yep, mine circa 1995, thin, one piece epaulets and widely spaced pockets. That said, there is no dark or black undecorated finish on this one:

Last edited:

ZuZu

Yep, mine circa 1995, thin, one piece epaulets and widely spaced pockets. That said, there is no dark or black undecorated finish on this one:

Actually looks pretty nice. I had a 1998 or so and by that time the leather was dark underneath.

B-Man2

I’ve been reading this thread with interest. I’ve had a few LW A2’s and all of them were made with what I felt was overly thick Horsehide. The jacket would have definitely been better with thinner hide . Not much you can do about that but, the distance between the separation of the pockets is something I would think would be correctable at the time of production . Now I realize that the guy that owns LWs is not the personable type of guy like JC, but I don’t see moving the pockets 1or 2 inches closer to the centerline of the jacket as something that would send him into orbit . If there’s anyone who’s had personal dealings with this guy feel free to comment . My other issue with all the LW jackets I had were the tube like sleeves that seems to have little or no taper. Am I the only one that had this issue or has anyone else who’s owned one noticed that as well?

Juanito

I’ve been reading this thread with interest. I’ve had a few LW A2’s and all of them were made with what I felt was overly thick Horsehide. The jacket would have definitely been better with thinner hide . Not much you can do about that but, the distance between the separation of the pockets is something I would think would be correctable at the time of production . Now I realize that the guy that owns LWs is not the personable type of guy like JC, but I don’t see moving the pockets 1or 2 inches closer to the centerline of the jacket as something that would send him into orbit . If there’s anyone who’s had personal dealings with this guy feel free to comment . My other issue with all the LW jackets I had were the tube like sleeves that seems to have little or no taper. Am I the only one that had this issue or has anyone else who’s owned one noticed that as well?
I had talked to Stuart a number of times in the early 1990s and visited with him once in person when he had a small showroom in Manhattan in 1998 or so. Take it for what it is worth, considering that I think the last time I talked to him and bought a jacket from him was probably 2002 and it was an eBay "defective" jacket (one underside sleeve panel was thinner than the rest of the jacket) he was blowing out.

I would guess the pockets, like the decades of using the 30-415 tag, or even the one piece epaulets would never change as his personality is one where he would rather be wrong and keep doing the "wrong" thing instead of ever admitting the "mistake" or that there is a better way that wasn't his way.

caddyd

I have a rare first contract Dubow that was the only one made with a collar stand and the pockets very close to the zipper flap.
Its a depot re-die with replacement knits and bar style talon. And you can clearly see the original russet color where the name plate was removed.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 105
  • s-l1600 (6).jpg
    s-l1600 (6).jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 115

Silver Surfer

many, many years ago, I purchased a dubow from stu that he said was his personal jacket. I asked him to sign the inside pocket flap. I just couldn't get my head around the over weight hides, and the fact that tanning of the hides went so deep that it never looked right. I gave the jacket to Jerome [remember him?] for art work that he did for me. somehow stu heard about me giving it away, and went ballistic with a nasty email, that read in part, "how the hell could ya give away MY jacket?" my answer further infuriated him. I replied that he sold it, thus it was no longer his, and what I do or did with it was none of his fuckn business. strange man, that stu.

Last edited:

Micawber

many, many years ago, I purchased a dubow from stu that he said was his personal jacket. I asked him to sign the inside pocket flap. I just couldn't get my head around the over weight hides, and the fact that tanning of the hides went so deep that it never looked right. I gave the jacket to Jerome [remember him?] for art work that he did for me. somehow stu heard about me giving it away, and went ballistic with a nasty email, that used; "how the hell could ya give away MY jacket?" my answer further infuriated him. I replied that he sold it, thus it was no longer his, and what I do or did with it was none of his fuckn business. strange man, that stu.

Uh oh, you've gone and done it now...!

Pa12

Well, my Platon definitely looks a bit wider then the goodwear, but I imagine it depends on what ever the one they dissected had. Hard to believe a top maker would just throw the pockets on wherever.

ZuZu

How do the Platon Dubow s measure up , as far as pocket spacing goes?

Platon is OK IMO. The spacing pretty much centers between zip edge and underarm seam. Lost Worlds maintains the 2" (or whatever) distance from the underarm seam no matter the size. So a small size looks right with the pocket basically centered but a 46 looks ridiculous with that 4.5" gap.

As has been pointed out here on this forum original spacing of pockets did vary- but I've never seen one with Stewie's gaposis!