• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Weird Thing about Lost World's Dubows

Flightengineer

Probably the larger the size, the farther from the center they could look visually.

On my both Platon's they are also off-center, although the distance from the edge of the zipper is 3 inches or may be bit more depend of jacket.
But compared to Dubow, my Star has pockets in general "on the stomach" as my wife said about this jacket ha ha

Pa12

Probably the larger the size, the farther from the center they could look visually.

On my both Platon's they are also off-center, although the distance from the edge of the zipper is 3 inches or may be bit more depend of jacket.
But compared to Dubow, my Star has pockets in general "on the stomach" as my wife said about this jacket ha ha
That looks fairly wide. Maybe slightly more then my Platon.

Juanito

many, many years ago, I purchased a dubow from stu that he said was his personal jacket. I asked him to sign the inside pocket flap. I just couldn't get my head around the over weight hides, and the fact that tanning of the hides went so deep that it never looked right. I gave the jacket to Jerome [remember him?] for art work that he did for me. somehow stu heard about me giving it away, and went ballistic with a nasty email, that read in part, "how the hell could ya give away MY jacket?" my answer further infuriated him. I replied that he sold it, thus it was no longer his, and what I do or did with it was none of his fuckn business. strange man, that stu.
That reminds me of the 2nd part of the story of the eBay jacket I bought from Stuart in 2002 or so...

As mentioned above, I bought "defective" jacket from Stuart on eBay back around 2002. It was a solid jacket and if anything, Stuart was exaggerative in how "bad" the defect of the thin sleeve panel was. You could hardly tell the difference. I have to give him props for that, for sure. I suspect though, his description was why I got the jacket for all of $202.

The jacket was a 44 and a little large, so I did the natural thing and flipped it on eBay. I disclosed that I got it from LW, and literally quoted word for word Stuart's description of the thin panel.

As is the wonder that is eBay, the jacket sold for something like $460.

Stuart contacted me immediately with not only the same, "How dare you sell a jacket I sold you, and for more than you paid for it?" with the bonus accusation that I was implying in my description that I was Lost Worlds when the description and quote of Stuart from his listing was trying to do the exact opposite.

I never talked to him after that and it killed any and all desire to order a Trojan jacket from him.

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

That reminds me of the 2nd part of the story of the eBay jacket I bought from Stuart in 2002 or so...

As mentioned above, I bought "defective" jacket from Stuart on eBay back around 2002. It was a solid jacket and if anything, Stuart was exaggerative in how "bad" the defect of the thin sleeve panel was. You could hardly tell the difference. I have to give him props for that, for sure. I suspect though, his description was why I got the jacket for all of $202.

The jacket was a 44 and a little large, so I did the natural thing and flipped it on eBay. I disclosed that I got it from LW, and literally quoted word for word Stuart's description of the thin panel.

As is the wonder that is eBay, the jacket sold for something like $460.

Stuart contacted me immediately with not only the same, "How dare you sell a jacket I sold you, and for more than you paid for it?" with the bonus accusation that I was implying in my description that I was Lost Worlds when my description and quote of Stuart was trying to do the exact opposite.

I never talked to him after that and it killed any desire to order a Trojan jacket from him.
yep, dats da guy

Juanito

Maybe we need a "Tales of Stewie" thread. ;)

Isn't he supposed to have been a part of the Willis & Geiger vintage clothing reboot back in the 90s?
I doubt he and Burt Avedon would have ever had any business dealings together. As far as I know, the W&G acquisition and reboot was all Avedon, a naval aviator and Harvard MBA.

Chandler

I just wandered over to the LW website -- looks like the only thing updated in 20 years is the pricing.

The A-2 section still touts horse & goat being the only hides used for originals.

Oh, and beware of internet forums -- we're all shills! ;)

Chandler

I doubt he and Burt Avedon would have ever had any business dealings together. As far as I know, the W&G acquisition and reboot was all Avedon, a naval aviator and Harvard MBA.
I must have old memories crossed up somewhere.

B-Man2

This guy sounds like a real character..........Im assuming that his shitty attitude and personality is why LWs are not a big seller of A2 jackets these days. I remeber his early website posts where he made it clear that his A2 jackets were the most accurately made A2's you could find and that no one could match the accuracy and quality of the workmanship of his jackets. It really sounded like good advertizing...... until I started to here about his antics.

Pa12

This guy sounds like a real character..........Im assuming that his shitty attitude and personality is why LWs are not a big seller of A2 jackets these days. I remeber his early website posts where he made it clear that his A2 jackets were the most accurately made A2's you could find and that no one could match the accuracy and quality of the workmanship of his jackets. It really sounded like good advertizing...... until I started to here about his antics.
I think Avirex said that at one point too;)

Grant

I remember the Lost Worlds shop on the lower east side. It was fun to check out the few originals he had laying around and just shoot the shit.

Chandler

I remeber his early website posts where he made it clear that his A2 jackets were the most accurately made A2's you could find and that no one could match the accuracy and quality of the workmanship of his jackets.
It's all still there. Tells us all to do our research and we'd see how accurate his jackets are.

If we're lucky, he'll get wind of this thread and honor us with a rant. :D

I better move out of my mother's basement so he doesn't embarrass me. ;)

B-Man2

It's all still there. Tells us all to do our research and we'd see how accurate his jackets are.

If we're lucky, he'll get wind of this thread and honor us with a rant. :D

I better move out of my mother's basement so he doesn't embarrass me. ;)
I don’t remember anyone here buying a new LW’S jacket off him in several years. Not just an A2 but any type of jacket . If anyone has , please correct me .

Pa12

Never had a LW. I remember seeing them advertised for astronomical prices. Like all of them, they’re the best and most accurate. I was already into Elc and thought they were a safer bet.

Rutger

The width between the pocket vertical edge and the zipper, not the vertical width of the pocket.
No, I know what you were pointing out. I am pointing out something else.
Check the difference between the two heights. Either the pocket flap on the right is set way too high or the entire pocket has a larger height. It's not a couple mm, it's at least half an inch, if not more.

ZuZu

Check the difference between the two heights. Either the pocket flap on the right is set way too high or the entire pocket has a larger height. It's not a couple mm, it's at least half an inch, if not more.

Wow- sorry for misunderstanding what you meant! I do see what you're pointing out. That is definitely a mistake but I personally wouldn't mind it and in fact would like it if more repros had that offhand industrial sewing look. But for Lost Worlds definitely a mistake. Sorry I misunderstood...

Smithy

Wow- sorry for misunderstanding what you meant! I do see what you're pointing out. That is definitely a mistake but I personally wouldn't mind it and in fact would like it if more repros had that offhand industrial sewing look. But for Lost Worlds definitely a mistake. Sorry I misunderstood...

I've blithered on ad nauseum about this but it bears repeating in relation to this.

I worked in an aviation museum and we had 3 original combat used A-2s, every single one had one pocket that was between 1cm to 2cm higher than the other side.

Most wouldn't ask for it on a high price repro, but asymmetric pockets and pocket flaps (lots of originals have one flap different from the other side in terms of shape and/or size and/or placement) are something originals often (maybe even usually had). So you could argue wonky pockets actually are closer for a real stitch for stitch as close to the real deal repro.

ZuZu

I've blithered on ad nauseum about this but it bears repeating in relation to this.

I worked in an aviation museum and we had 3 original combat used A-2s, every single one had one pocket that was between 1cm to 2cm higher than the other side.

Most wouldn't ask for it on a high price repro, but asymmetric pockets and pocket flaps (lots of originals have one flap different from the other side in terms of shape and/or size and/or placement) are something originals often (maybe even usually had). So you could argue wonky pockets actually are closer to a real stitch for stitch repro.

I've seen this exact same thing crazily poring over hundreds of photos of original A-2s. In fact with some makers it seems an almost inevitable- usually the windflap side pocket is higher- but as usual with these jackets there's no rule. One pocket's higher 1/8" to 1/4". The pocket flaps for sure on Rough Wears (my area of expertise) are often different most of the time. I've tried to get my favorite repro maker to replicate this and he will on a Combat Clone but not too radically. I definitely ask for this for my repros- in fact my goal is to someday have an exact copy made- mistakes and all- of an individual jacket. It would be very difficult...