• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Weird Thing about Lost World's Dubows

ZuZu

Lost World's Dubow copy has the strange characteristic that inadvertently Stewie makes almost accurate Dubow copy in the tiny sizes or back in time. This is a size 34:
s-l1600 - 2023-01-02T222659.407.jpg

It's not that bad! Pockets look a bit large but that's accurate as original jackets used the same pocket size for all sizes. (I think). The scalloping on the pockets is quite nice and the pockets are a bit different from each other- one smooth the other grained- like an original! The pockets on this small jacket are the correct spacing for a Dubow- not a weiird half mile between them. Stewie does pretty much get the collar shape right- but on his new jackets he uses thick leather which looks wrong- not like an original. The epaulets are also too narrow- Dubow would have use the same width for a 34 or a 44- these eps are too slimmed down.

Unfortunately a 44 jacket like I would need looks awful- its main and fatal flaw is that the pockets are waaaaay too far apart which doesn't look good worn. In my experience (in the 90s) the leather wore off to a darker tone which is just weird.

lost-worlds-a2-sz44-1.jpg

This guy suffers from the thin eps, probably that weird dark undercoated leather and the collar will never look right because the leather won't let it. So long story short- if you want a more accurate Dubow copy from Lost Worlds shrink yoursell to wear a 34 or 36... weird!

Last edited:

ZuZu

And if you didn't think Stewie Clurman couldn't make a nice jacket you're wrong! The early LW jackets were really cool- thinnish leather with character and funky takes on the epaulets and other things which looked really cool IMO. Here's an example of an early LW- notice the pocket spacing is good (it's a 44) and the collar looks great!

$saa.JPG

ZuZu

Brett had a collection of photos of the original Dubow and pocket spacing was all over the place.

That may be true but all over the place does NOT include the bizarre wide spacing of Lost Worlds. I too have a large collection of original Dubow photos and there is NOT ONE that has Lost Worlds spacing and the norm is pockets relatively close to the zipper. I had a LW Dubow which I took to Zoltan in Berkeley to have fixed. @ inches worth of fixing to get the pockets to look right.

ZuZu

yes, probably 4+ is really a lot, but for example, the pockets that are quite spacing from the zipper on the original, which belonged to Andrew and now in the collection of WZ1999

1bb69453-e8c5-4275-8bc2-14bfe9fcfbc6-jpeg.81168

It's about 1 inch off- and we all know what a difference 1 inch can make! The original examples you show are not too wide comparitavely- you're eye doesn't tell you- "Too Wide!"

With these Lost Worlds jackets that width between pockets becomes noticeable:

50518E2D-90B1-402B-B4F1-B0159D9B253C.jpg

lw_front.jpg

When I had a Lost worlds 44 this drove me nuts- I could see it every time I did the Jacket Gaze in the mitrror or a shop window... "TOO WIDE...TOO WIDE..."

johnwayne

Ironically Flightengineer posted Andrew/Roughwear’s Dubow and from
whom I got mine, as shown earlier!!

Chandler

When I had a Lost worlds 44 this drove me nuts- I could see it every time I did the Jacket Gaze in the mitrror or a shop window... "TOO WIDE...TOO WIDE..."
And the opposite is what bugged me about my FAI and Avirex A-2s.

Oh yeah... first world problems. :rolleyes:;)

Last edited: