• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The veg tanned conspiracy rant !

Skyhawk

What the heck? I would be surprised. Seems out of character. One of my first posts back in 2008 on the old site, was the G-1 specs. I think he would remember that if it was him.

Julius

Guys guys, nobody trolling nobody. Just asking if we say something in public to try to make sure it's correct. Skyhawk, ok about the G-1 specs, we heard you. Let's go back to topic please.

ButteMT61

I strongly urge you to understand computers/data at a minimum, and the community on a more general scale.
Your statement 100% false. Per the metadata on this file, which many have seen prior, you will see the age...
In response to post #60. For some reason, it did not quote the post properly...

G-1-Meta.png

Last edited:

33-1729

Thank you for the G-1 spec! I wasn't aware that the Navy goatskin/cowhide G-1 used thicker leather than the USAAF horsehide/goatskin/cowhide A-2 (0.79 to 1.2mm versus 0.64 to 1.1mm). The leather test method spec I can find, KK-L-311A, with the odd term "gauge ounces" applies to the force applied by the measurement gauge tool for the reading and not the leather itself (how hard you press on the leather impacts the thickness reading). Without dimensional information the term "gauge ounces" would be meaningless for leather (it's basically a roundabout density measurement). I wasn't able to find the KK-L-170 spec copy (at least not for 25$).

The A-2 horsehide/goatskin/cowhide spec'd measurement requirements are all contained within Mr. Eastman's book. That has been the most accurate reference I've found. That book and all the others I've purchased were all recommended by VLJ forum members (thank you!). Sweeting's books are very good, but information taken from the "Type Designation Sheet" are questionable given the errors found in the document. For photos, "The Art of the Flight Jacket" by Maguire & Conway is recommended. There is a highly regarded Japanese book many mention on this site, but I wasn't able to find a copy and forgot the name. Full Gear?

And now, back to the veg rant... or, at least, some other rant it seems ...

Pilot

Thank you for the G-1 spec! I wasn't aware that the Navy goatskin/cowhide G-1 used thicker leather than the USAAF horsehide/goatskin/cowhide A-2 (0.79 to 1.2mm versus 0.64 to 1.1mm). The leather test method spec I can find, KK-L-311A, with the odd term "gauge ounces" applies to the force applied by the measurement gauge tool for the reading and not the leather itself (how hard you press on the leather impacts the thickness reading). Without dimensional information the term "gauge ounces" would be meaningless for leather (it's basically a roundabout density measurement). I wasn't able to find the KK-L-170 spec copy (at least not for 25$).

The A-2 horsehide/goatskin/cowhide spec'd measurement requirements are all contained within Mr. Eastman's book. That has been the most accurate reference I've found. That book and all the others I've purchased were all recommended by VLJ forum members (thank you!). Sweeting's books are very good, but information taken from the "Type Designation Sheet" are questionable given the errors found in the document. For photos, "The Art of the Flight Jacket" by Maguire & Conway is recommended. There is a highly regarded Japanese book many mention on this site, but I wasn't able to find a copy and forgot the name. Full Gear?

And now, back to the veg rant... or, at least, some other rant it seems ...
The “ full gear” book is quite often available here....

Julius

Butte, that's the info from when the document was created by its creator.
The date that it was downloaded by Skyhawk on his computer is embedded as a watermark on every page of the document and it is this

downloaded.jpg

I have this document and several others before they started watermarking them 4 years ago.
So let's leave it alone please and let's go back to the topic.

ButteMT61

Butte, that's the info from when the document was created by its creator.
The date that it was downloaded by Skyhawk on his computer is embedded as a watermark on every page of the document and it is this

downloaded.jpg

I have this document and several others before they started watermarking them 4 years ago.
So let's leave it alone please and let's go back to the topic.
Yeah, I know that. The doc/info is old. That's the point, so why not stop with the jabs at Jay (and others) already. I don't know who you are but this is just stupid.

Julius

33-1729, I can give you a copy of the KK-L-170

Do you have the KK-L-311A ?
it was canceled in 1953 and I cannot find it.
I have the FED-STD-311 that supersedes it.

This is from a little book I have that lists some of the specs they used.

specs.jpg

Last edited:

Changeling

I don`t think many people will ever get too obsessed with the exact thickness of leather used on a jacket. If it looks great, it fits, and you can afford it, then you will get much enjoyment from your jacket for many years and that is all that matters to the vast majority of buyers.

stanier

I seem to recall reading somewhere (I think in the forum) that chrome tanning today is different to chrome tanning in the 1940’s, but how different. Looking at a description of the chrome tanning process on Wikipedia it’s difficult to understand it could be a process that’s changed that much.

Does a leather exist that is a chrome tanned near as practically possible perfect copy of the leather A-2’s were made from originally? If yes, which repro makers use it?