• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The veg tanned conspiracy rant !

Skyhawk

Officer Dibley

I like this thread, I will participate.

Of course the 2mm horsehide that Skyhawk wrote is completely non sense, but then again the guy doesn't know which animal produces capeskin :)

Never said 2mm. I said under 2mm. Our horse we use for A2's is 1.2mm max.

You just don't quit!

Capeskin is made from the hairy sheep from South Africa. We use genuine Capeskin period.

Thanks for the laughs!

Skyhawk

Officer Dibley

I like this thread, I will participate.

Of course the 2mm horsehide that Skyhawk wrote is completely non sense, but then again the guy doesn't know which animal produces capeskin :)

Never said 2mm. I said under 2mm. Our horse we use for A2's is 1.2mm max.

You just don't quit!

Capeskin is made from the hairy sheep from South Africa. We use genuine Capeskin period.

Thanks for the laughs!

Skyhawk

No debate, just being specific
A simple mis type. I meant 1.2 mm. Obviously I know the weight thus my announcement many months ago of the nice 1.2 mm horsehide that I found for the Goldsmith A2.

I bet you were salivating though Julius when you thought you caught me

BTW, since most people know I know what I'm talking about here. You won't get much traction with your baseless accusations.

It's sort of entertaining though.

Edward

can't say I'm not learning stuffs!

raw.png

33-1729

33-1729 other than ELC's book, where do you get your info?

The 7823 specification for the G-1 jacket states that the goatskin should be 2/64 to 3/64 inch thick. I have not seen the spec for M422 and other wartime Navy jackets but I don't think the thickness was ever changed.

The WWII spec for horsehide states 2 1/2 to 3 gauge ounces (1 to 1.2mm). This is not converted by me it's their words.

And FYI I have handled 1 or 2 Navy goatskin jackets thicker than any horsehide of modern repro makers.

I think it is really important to give credit where credit is due. I’ve learned a lot from the people on this forum and various other sources and want the complement front and center. Mr. Eastman’s book is extremely well known, so if I can use it as a reference so others many investigate it's simply my first choice.

I’m only considering the half dozen A-2 leather specifications I know, but have not seen any weight or density specification requirements in those (elongation and tensile strength were the pertinent requirements – a heavy porous leather isn’t very helpful, yes?). I’m not familiar with post-WWII jacket specs, such as the G-1, but am curious. Where may I find a copy of the 7823 spec to read?

Julius

33-1729 I like it that you and I are talking specifics.
I asked if you have any other sources than ELC book so I can add them to my collection.

You can download the 7823 spec to read from here: https://docdro.id/Jl2K9w9

The other specs that specifically mention weight I will give you in private because the ungrateful lads here have more interest in insulting me rather than learn something.

As for you Skyhawk, the thickness of leather for A-1 jackets should be 0.8mm not 1.5mm that you think.
There is no way that the tannery sold you 1.5mm thickness leather and told you it's for garments.

Officer Dibley

I’m ignoring Julius because he’s a twat who likes to argue, spread division and contribute nothing. So i can’t see what he writes. He has never been polite or made an interesting thread of his own or contributed in any way. However, it is easy to see from others comments that he is still all the above . If everyone ignores him, he’d go away. He needs this attention desperately - which whilst sad, should not concern us overly.
Of course if the mods would like to moderate ....

Last edited:

Julius

I don't argue with 33-1729, quite the opposite, we have exchange of information in a friendly manner.
Something that you are incapable of. You are only capable of calling me names. I will not go down that road because I am polite (but you can easily imagine what is my opinion about persons like you).

I already contributed the MIL-J-7823E specification for USN G-1 jackets unlike you who have contributed nothing except trouble making. And I have tons of info to contribute for those who care and will appreciate.

I also contributed before with my knowledge about leathers and spent my time trying to protect you and others like you from buying leathers that are not genuine capeskin.

Skyhawk

I don't argue with 33-1729, quite the opposite, we have exchange of information in a friendly manner.
Something that you are incapable of. You are only capable of calling me names. I will not go down that road because I am polite (but you can easily imagine what is my opinion about persons like you).

I already contributed the MIL-J-7823E specification for USN G-1 jackets unlike you who have contributed nothing except trouble making. And I have tons of info to contribute for those who care and will appreciate.

I also contributed before with my knowledge about leathers and spent my time trying to protect you and others like you from buying leathers that are not genuine capeskin.

Thanks for "contributing" the G-1 specs that I posted up 10 years ago, and then again 5 years ago on this very forum. Nice to have all this in depth knowledge on the forums.

I hope in the future you will drop some more pearls of wisdom our way....

Attachments

• G-1 Specs.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 166

Julius

According to your file, your file is downloaded in 2015, so not 10 years ago and not 5 years ago. So again your provide false claims.

I told you I like specifics. I don't like to hear 2mm when you mean 1.2mm and I don't like to hear 10 years ago when it's 4 years ago.
Can you try to be a little more specific next time?

FYI, I have given some info to 33-1729 in private already.