• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Goldsmith A-2 By Headwind Mfg Co

Geeboo

very nice, much better than the other one. The only thing I would comment other than those you have mentioned is the flap may be a tiny bit longer, only a very tiny bit & that the pockets spaced a bit wider apart. overall excellent, well done in the sense that you have almost captured the overall shape of this jacket :)
P.S. I noted the epps stitching around the shoulder edge is handled a bit different than the other maker.

Last edited:

2BM2K

We can put the strips on the zipper. They are not visible on the Goldsmith original so we can't be 100% sure. If the consensus is that they were on there, we will put them on.

The zipper box is too narrow, there is more width in the leather that can be seen in a photo, probably corresponds to the leather strip running up the zipper.

There is a reason for the strip.

Can only see one stitch seam running around the collar.

zoomer

Re epps: one would think they were double-stitched, because the pockets are. But is there enough detail in the pix to tell?

If double-stitched, they would predate the first known double-sewn epps by several years! (HLB, 1937, double-sewn only at each end.)

Skyhawk

We will be putting a double stitch line on the collar. That was overlooked by production.

The epaulet is a mystery. The jacket has single top stitching on the waist and wrists, but double lines on the pockets and collar. All the other early A-2's we have seen had the single stitch line on the Epaulets so that is why we went with it.

We will be installing the leather attachment strips on the zipper.

I am attempting to identify if the right pocket with the pencil slot is wider than the other pocket. It appears to be, but it may just be the angle of the photo. This is another possible change.

Goldsmith-L-R-Sides-2.jpg

Regards,
Jay

zoomer

Another thought about the collar closure. A-2 collars after this were never meant to close except at the neck. Is it possible the Goldy collar was cut to lie fuller and/or closer together, like a Navy jacket collar?

Here's my Cockpit "gummint horse" - the only A-2 whose neck latch I can close. There's no way you could get a tab/button across. Maybe if the wearer had less jowls. But I submit this FWIW.
IMG_3126.jpg

Juanito

We will be putting a double stitch line on the collar. That was overlooked by production.

Did you mean a single stitch? I am just not seeing the double on what we suspect to be the Goldsmith of Hap's. Or am I misinterpreting a double stitch as being a single top stitch?

Skyhawk

Did you mean a single stitch? I am just not seeing the double on what we suspect to be the Goldsmith of Hap's. Or am I misinterpreting a double stitch as being a single top stitch?

Yes the double stitch line will be changed to single stich line on the collar. It was an error made during production.

Ken at Aero Leather

Ken, your Goldy collar is exactly as I suggested it should work.

That still doesn't mean I like the design :(
We've always intended to make the "perfect" house A-2, trouble is it'll get mistaken for a 1756, so what's the point? We would flip the direction of the top stitch on the side seams so they'd would be less likely to snag moving forward in the confines of an aircraft and fit a hookless zipper

Skyhawk

Another thought about the collar closure. A-2 collars after this were never meant to close except at the neck. Is it possible the Goldy collar was cut to lie fuller and/or closer together, like a Navy jacket collar?

Here's my Cockpit "gummint horse" - the only A-2 whose neck latch I can close. There's no way you could get a tab/button across. Maybe if the wearer had less jowls. But I submit this FWIW. View attachment 10730

Here is our design. The hook will be moved over to the edge and the windflap is going to be a bit more narrow:
Collar-Up-1.jpg

Collar-Up-2.jpg

B-Man2

Pretty functional design, having a closed collar in the upright position similar to an A1.
A necessity in an open cockpit.

Skyhawk

Pretty functional design, having a closed collar in the upright position similar to an A1.
A necessity in an open cockpit.

Yes and with the supple Horsehide it's not uncomfortable worn up. I think it is not a terrible idea. Incorporating another feature from the A-1.

This feature also explains the large collar size. Oversized to meet in the middle when worn up.

Skyhawk

Ok guys, this collar stitching interpretation by my guys has got me re examining the photos. I see what they saw with a double stitch line. What is going on here?
Play of light and shadow? Is there 2 stitch lines on the collar or Am I seeing double:
Collar-Stitch-2.jpg

Collar-Stitch-3a.jpg

Collar-Stitch-1.jpg

Juanito

Man, I just don't know. I think it is a single stitch with a shadow and what we are seeing as a double stitch is the thickness of the leather folded underneath. I think this is most evident near the collar point and where the collar attaches to the jacket near the collar clip on Hap's left side. In other words the light area is the valley where the seam is. Jaybus, this jacket is a tantalizing mystery!

Skyhawk

Yeah we'll chock it up to photographic artifacts and go with the single stitch line.

Also the pockets are staying the same size. Given the different angles of the photos of the different sides of the jacket, and no single photo of the pockets together, a size difference is possible but the evidence is inconclusive.

2BM2K

pocketsbig.jpg

Here is another composite view of the pockets. The camera is almost directly facing the pockets and so should give a better perspective; (not same scale)