• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Collar/Windflap/Zipper intersection- various repros compared to original Aeros- 21996,18775 and 15142

Ken at Aero Leather

Claimed it took you 12 hours to make an A-2, not that it took that long in WW2
How on earth can one operater take that long to make a simple jacket. Our most clueless trainee made her first A-2 in 6 hours

DiamondDave

Seems to have been a problem with the spool tension should have been spotted at QC, if this made it's way to Thurston, I'm sure Carrie sent it back to be fixed

Nope, wrong again. The jacket was listed BY Carrie on eBay and sold to a customer like this.

Also 'spool' (Bobbin) tension is not the issue here. The size and nature of the needle used is wrong for fine leather work. Just because it has "Leather" in the name, doesn't mean it is used for this type of procedure.

DD

DiamondDave

Claimed it took you 12 hours to make an A-2, not that it took that long in WW2
How on earth can one operater take that long to make a simple jacket. Our most clueless trainee made her first A-2 in 6 hours

Out of parts that were already cut and made perhaps she did. I am talking about an artisan who lays out each piece by hand on leather, on lining, then and only then cuts them for each jacket, applies all of the parts to them, THEN sews the jacket together. I do not have stacks of parts laying around you simple tit. ARTISAN MADE.

I shall attempt to speak in plainer terms going forward.

DD

2BM2K

You'd be suprised how many buyers comment on/question the offset collas of our 1938 despie the fact it's mentioned in thr webtext
It is, on the other hand, our best sellinmg A-2

The offset zipper/collar does have a function. Which works well with a collar-stand and creates a good wind barrier.

collar_stand.jpg

Most of the contracts without collar-stands are not so good as there is a gap at the base of the collar.

ZuZu

Rushed? You told us it takes you 12 hours to make one
Rushed? You told us it takes you 12 hours to make one

Well that's the whole point isn't it? I'm sure Avirex takes 2 hours to make a jacket. If you are going to make a REPRODUCTION jacket meant to look like a WW2 jacket then it's going to take time. The WW2 jackets were made in a factory a certain way- trying to replicate the way they came out looking is a lot harder than making (as you do) a lukewarm copy in 2 hours. The actual speed of the process isn't the point- it is how the final product looks! Yours for the most part look "off"- big stitch holes and funny details which aren't correct. Again- let me help you fix this!

ZuZu

Here you've managed to replicate messed up WW2 stitching but not on purpose and with a wrong detail at the top of the stitching! I actually like the messed up stitching but could definitely do without the little leather blowouts and the WRONG zipper treatment!

Ken at Aero Leather

I am talking about an artisan who lays out each piece by hand on leather, on lining, then and only then cuts them for each jacket, applies all of the parts to them, THEN sews the jacket together. I do not have stacks of parts laying around you simple tit. ARTISAN MADE.

DD

Rest assured I do get it...........He's a link to an old thread on my two hour A-2 all made exactly as you describe above......start to finish cutting included

Still going strong,

Made primarily as a challenge to myself and as an example to the students of that era of just what can be achieved merely by putting one's head down.
Same applies today, get your head down, ignore social media.......

...... but not before you demand your money back for the online charm school course you obviously signed up for

It's not working. ...................."you simple tit" just doesn't cut it in the grand scheme of abusive terms

Last edited:

DiamondDave

Ken,

Photos of a jacket prove what exactly? That you made it in two hours? Meh, not really proven by these few photos or the whole thread for that matter. It does prove that, at least once, you made the eps correctly, so good on ya, I guess?

Secondly trust me dear boy, “simple tit” is me being kind. if I wished to insult you the language would be far more impressive and saltier.

I am done with this thread, now that we are reduced to simple insults, and no longer speaking to any of the salient points.

The takeaway is “Ken, do better” your zippers are put in incorrectly, the patterns are junk and clearly a basic understanding of debate eludes you.

DD

B-Man2

Hopefully ....we can now put this thread to rest . The three of you have made some excellent points in the midsts of your verbal beat downs. Many of us, sitting on the sidelines, are great full for your attempts to help??? each other produce a better jacket, but sometimes you can win the battle but lose the war. When this confrontation started, I’m sure that a few of us sat on the sidelines silently cheering on their guy, who they felt had been wronged in this mess. But the continuous tirades filled with a myriad of picayune details eventually wore many of us down and those who may have been allies in the beginning have since become disinterested spectators sitting on the sidelines, just wishing this would all come to an end.
Moderators :
It seems that all interested parties have had their say. Please consider shutting this one down.
Cheers to all.

Last edited:

KariJ

So what is the point.
Even originals are not 100% of specs ? Would somebody think originals issued for the purposes and use for fighter pilots are 1:1 against gowt specs.

Those jackets, coveralls, nomex -gloves of today are tomorrows history.

And even today when they are issued they are not 1:1, they are "between limits of acceptance"

When somebody afterwards starts measuring measures that have been accepted in war time - in my opionion he or she does not accept the fact that the business of defence forces in its nature is not a business seen on catwalk. The business is to get stuff and garnments for fighters who will soon die, as soon as possible and as close to specs as possible. That is a real mil fact. Maybe Mr Hugo Boss et al cloud say something different.

In my opinion persons who demand 1:1,00 repretensations should consider to apply for a professors post in those Chinese universities who really teach copying as a major. Those exist (F.E Uni of Xiamen)

foster

So what is the point.

The point is, if I am spending my money for a jacket for myself (not a current government supplied and issued garment) then I can choose what options give me what I want for my money. In the case of A-2's, I want something that captures the details, minutiae, nuances, and soul of the original garment. The only other adjustment is for it to fit, since I plan to wear it.

Not everyone wants the same attention to detail in their A-2. For most, it will not matter and this just comes across as an OCD disorder. But if it makes me happy to have the X offset, or the zipper tape folded into the lining, then so be it. You buy what you want and I will buy what I want.

Sure, we may be beating a dead horse here, but I will just call it breaking in a horsehide jacket which is one of the highest virtues exalted on this forum.

KariJ

Again here is true pictures of M91: Sock Woolen Long green: Everyone who is willing and able to see - hmm both are authentic :) Sizing system by stripes is copied from Wehrmacht. Both are green

foster

In the same manner, we find different shades of leather within the same contract of A-2 jackets. Sometimes different shades of knits as well.