• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Collar/Windflap/Zipper intersection- various repros compared to original Aeros- 21996,18775 and 15142

ZuZu

ZUZU
At this point I'm completely confused and let me explain why, for about six pages of text both you and DD went after Aero pretty hard over some epaulet stitching, that didn't conform exactly to an original WWII issued Aero A2. Now you guys went after him on some other issues as well, but lets just focus on the epaulet stitching. The focus of the criticism was basically that that the jacket should be made to more exacting standards of the WWII contract it represented, and the fact that the end of the epaulet at the shoulder was stitch with a X in the center of the box, where as authentic original Aero A2s had the stitching crossing lower in the box. Now here's where I've become confused. Because War time production was rushed to get jackets made and into the system many jackets do not fully conform to exacting standards set forth in their contracts and as such have noticeable flaws. So now here's my question: Are you now saying that repro makers should attempt to make their reproes more authentic by including those flaws?? I think that's what you just said. Because if that's the case, isn't that what Aero did, all be it unknowingly but the jacket you posted with the mis stitching was pretty much what you would expect to find in a War time flawed jacket. Do you see why I'm confused? I mean I was with you right up until this point, so did I miss something?
You ARE confused! Aero of Scotland NEVER did it right! Originals had foibles which many of you guys on the forum call "flaws" but I'm saying they weren't flaws! The non-centered "X" box at the end of the epaulet is simply a byproduct of how the original Aero of Beacon sewed their jackets! Not a flaw! Aero of Scotland does not replicate this. Aero of Scotland does not replicate mistitching- they use an ugly modern method of sewing seen on ugly modern jackets! They proudly proclaim they don't use cotton thread- my guess is that it would break under the brutal stitching method they use! So what I'm saying is: replicate WW2 factory flaws caused by wartime efficiency- DON"T create new ugly modern flaws...

ZuZu

I'm confused to !

I am saying replicate "flaws" seen on original jackets- carefully and with artistry. Uneven pockets, uneven pocket flap shapes (seen on many original Rough Wears) uneven collars (which isn't really a flaw but a CHARACTERISTIC of Rough Wear jackets), areas of wide, obvious fast stitching seen on some Aero epaulets, combined with close stitching elsewhere etc. etc. Some repro makers now will give you such a jacket if you work with them. The point is to copy an original wartime A-2 jacket.