• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some of my flight helmets and oxygen mask set ups

Carl

Thankyou B-MAN2 , its gettimg a bit of OCD having to have the best example of any item to put in the collection ! :)

Edward

you may like this vintage photo of the various oxygen masks.
Type A-7, Type A-8, Type A-8B, Type A-10 Revised, Type A-14.
TypeA-7TypeA8typeA8BTypeA10RevisedTypeA14.jpg

Edward

I just acquired another headset only this time I got really lucky because its with the rare larger Brown Sponge Rubber Earcups like you have. they are in decent shape (for now) and I know this particular type degrades quickly. any advice on preservation? it will be kept away from sunlight of course.

also this is my temporary display for the authentic A-8B (with turret shields). I need to get a taller display box to get the bag tube off the bottom....should I not have the mask touching the styrofoam directly and cover it with cloth like you did? I guess I should read up about the styrofoam and its acidity level.

IMG_1495.JPG

Carl

I use wool stockings to cover the styrofoam Edward . nice to see the turret shields. You do know what they were actually used for i take it ?
i dont allow any sunlight into my room whatsoever !! Im a vampire really !!:D

Edward

I use wool stockings to cover the styrofoam Edward . nice to see the turret shields. You do know what they were actually used for i take it ?
i dont allow any sunlight into my room whatsoever !! Im a vampire really !!:D
I'll do that then.
from what I understand they were to help keep the moisture on the turret sponges from freezing up? sadly I have found no photo evidence of them actually being used other than this photo which I believe is just a vintage publicity shot for a magazine.
s-l1600-2.jpg

Edward

I feel like I paid too much for the turret shields. I got them for $99 but I have since only seen one other set (at Bells) and they want $200! YIKES!

Carl

Ahh you thought they were for what a lot of people thought as well !!.
Actually they were used to convert the A8bmask from a constant flow mask to a demand type mask .
99 was a fair price !
C

Edward

Ahh you thought they were for what a lot of people thought as well !!.
Actually they were used to convert the A8bmask from a constant flow mask to a demand type mask .
99 was a fair price !
C
AH ha! man that is valuable info !!! the person I purchased them from told me about the anti freeze purpose... I should have known as I was reading about the option to change over the A-8B from constant to demand! makes so much sense and now I am really glad I got them! thanks!