Soldier of Fortune aviators kit bag AN-6505-1

Discussion in 'Related Gear' started by Smithy, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Lets start a hair dressing thread !!! :D

2. stanier

stanier Well-Known Member

I’m not sure there’d be much call for it on VLJ Carl:confused:, but I’d follow it! :D

Pilot likes this.
  3. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

What the hell !!! :D If we can have WHAT SOCKS UNDERWEAR ETC ETC you wear with your jackets !!

Pilot, stanier and Cocker like this.
  4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Love it!

5. stanier

stanier Well-Known Member

And don’t forget what knife you carry! I’m still bewildered by that one, sorry!

Everytime I read that thread it made me think of Crocodile Dundee and that scene where two thugs try and rob him and at knife point he says “that’s not a knife, this is a knife” as he pulls some huge blade from his person.

Sorry must get back on topic!

6. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Cant say i was a fan on that thread !! :confused:

stanier likes this.
  7. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

The back story here is, that I had been trying to find someone to paint my bag without a long waiting time and without shipping it to another continent.After a bit of trial and error and some help from forum members, I contacted Johnny Signor known as Emblem Hunter in this forum. I explained to him what I wanted painted on my bag and sent it to him. Within about 10 days ( including the Thanksgiving Holiday when no one works) Johnny had my bag painted and shipped back to me. ( Turns out Johnny lives 2 hours away in Florida) I chose the 507 Parachute Infantry Regiment patch and jump wings to be painted on my bag in remembrance of my father who was in that unit for a period time during the war. Hope you guys like his work.
    Thanks for looking.
    F3B43AE8-4A37-47B3-87D9-B2281AEB8BD3.jpeg

Brent, Flightengineer, Grant and 6 others like this.
  8. falcon_ib

falcon_ib Well-Known Member

Burt, the bag looks fantastic. If I may ask, what did your dad do in the war?

9. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

He join the US Army in 1940 before the war started for the US. He volunteered and went to Airborne Training in 1942 or 43 at Ft Benning Ga. and was assigned to the 507th which was a newly formed airborne training unit at Benning having moved there from Camp Toccoa Ga. ,I believe, but don’t quote me on that units history . He was attached to that unit but later hurt his back on a jump, and was taken off jump status due to the injury and transferred to the 4 th Infantry Division , 122 infantry Regiment. He went into Utah Beach on the morning of June 6th , 1944, but I don’t know the time of his arrival . He told me that while he was on the beach that morning, General Roosevelt ( Teddy Roosevelt’s son) the Divsion Commander was there telling him to get off the beach and move in land ASAP. That’s about the most I ever got out of him about his service in WWII , and that was near the end of his life.
    Edit: actually there is more, as he was shot and wounded around July 30th , 1944 by a sniper in a hedge row . I have his original jump wings and 507th patch. A collector offered me $1200 for the patch about 8 years ago but I declined the offer

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  10. EmergencyIan

EmergencyIan Active Member

What a story, Burt! The bag looks awesome!

- Ian

Flightengineer, stanier and B-Man2 like this.
  11. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Glad you got sorted in the end Burt

B-Man2 likes this.
  12. EMBLEMHUNTER

EMBLEMHUNTER Well-Known Member

Hey Burt, I very much enjoyed doing the unit emblem, para wing and tabs etc on your bag in honor of your Dad's service, thanks much for the work and enjoy it :)
    Johnny Signor
    EMBLEMHUNTER

B-Man2 likes this.
  13. Flightengineer

Flightengineer Well-Known Member

Beautiful bag, good work artist. Burt, thanks for your story.

B-Man2 likes this.