• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Irvins.

dbtk44

I can understand the wallet aspect..hard for me to justify putting down that kind of coin for an original jacket! Or even the higher end repros.

Griffon_301

I politely disagree with you CBI :)
I love both my Irvins and I am so happy that the time has finally come to be able to wear them again more often.
The fact that I can wear it with just a thin shirt underneath and still stay comfortably warm just makes it a great jacket for the current season and of course for winter to come as well.
also, I like the fact that it is short, which makes it quite comfortable for driving around, compared to longer jackets.
granted, all of the other cold weather jackets, be it deck jackets, B-15s, B-6s or even the A-2s and M-422/G-1s keep me properly warm in the temperatures we face nowadays in spring, autumn and winter, but then again, I just love the style of the Irvin.
the only point that goes a bit against the Irvin is that it is rather bulky, compared to my deck jackets or the various B-15s.

for me, its a love affair with the Irvins and if I would have to choose between them and any other sheepskin, I would always go for an Irvin.
In fact, I love them so much that I will not buy an AVI M-445 as I originally intended. I am happy with my Irvins so there is simply no need for me to get one more sheepskin, at least not now.
Instead, I have set my eyes on another great cold weather Navy jacket of younger times...

Griffon_301

I have to admit that I have virtually no experience how a ANJ-4/M-445 fits and sits so I cannot comment on how it feels wearing one.
what I like way more on the Irvin's, compared to a B-3 though for example is the zips on the sleeves and it's body construction.
from a practical point of view, of course B-1x jackets are way more comfortable and offer more pockets and therefor more space to carry stuff around, but Irvins have way more style IMHO, and besides a mobile phone and a small pouch for carrying around some plastic one needs in everyday life I usually dont carry around much stuff anyhow

Kermit3D

No pockets on Irvin jackets ? I've got the solution :cool: :

fluo-banane-annees-80.jpg

John Lever

You know...I llve these early elc Irvins, but compared to originals they are much too thick and bulky

Last edited:

Kermit3D

Thankyou G.
Its the very best I have seen and handled in years.
Its one of the very first one made by Gary and is a masterpiece.. The fleece is the finest and very best ever procured by ELC.
Again thanks G.
I tend to think that, somehow, modern Irvin ELCs are too bulky.
Maybe, in fact, it's due to too-thick fleece? hard to say. Maybe they just take a long time to break in.
That's why I prefer the "flyweight" version which, IMHO, looks more like a "tired" original.

Of course that's just a feeling I get from looking at photos, as I don't have an Irvin myself.

Yours has very nice wear and could be mistaken for an original.