• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Irvins.

B-Man2

So it’s been a while since I posted anything that was even remotely interesting, so I thought I’d go back to a jacket that has held my interest for several years, the RAF Irvin. I’ve always been fascinated with this jacket and more so it’s history. It was developed in the 1930s for open cockpit flying and throughout the WWII years it was the mainstay of cold weather kit for RAF Bomber crews.It was closely associated with the Battle of Britain pilots but in reality the bomber crews wore Irvin jackets more often than RAF fighter pilots, and were photographed wearing them in various theaters of operation and different climates. On at least one occasion I remember seeing an RAF pilot of a bomber somewhere in a jungle environment wearing an Irvin with shorts and a pair of 1936 Pattern Flight boots. I think my interest in Irvins is due to the fact that while B-3s , B-6s and D-1 jackets were plentiful here in the US during the years following the war and could be purchased very cheaply on the military surplus market, Irvin’s were not really seen here that often.
Occasionally, back in the 1960s I would see photos of a member of a British rock group wearing one, while on tour here in the US, and I’d think “Damn that’s a cool looking sheepskin”
IMG_0590.jpeg

To my mind the Irvin looks cooler than any sheepskin jacket that was in the US inventory during the war. I guess I just like the cut of the jacket compared to say a B-3 or a B-6.
The jacket is known by a couple of different manufacturers names ; The Warings , the Links and the Irvin are some of them . I’m fortunate to have an original 1939 Warings jacket that is in great condition in a larger size that actually fits me .
IMG_0591.jpeg

IMG_0592.jpeg

In 1984 Eastman Leather Company was founded and from that time forward the flight jacket reproduction business was changed forever. Eastman incorporated quality and authenticity in their reproductions. Their Battle of Britain reproduction Irvin was so well made, that it was the top of the line repro of the original WWII Irvin at that time. Today early production ELC Irvin’s are highly sought after and can bring as much as newer ELC Irvin repros . The photo below is an early ELC repro Irvin formerly owned by John Lever. The jacket is representative of the authenticity and quality of the early ELC Irvin’s of that period .
IMG_0594.jpeg

Most recently both ELC and Aero of Scotland have manufactured a light weight Irvin that has gotten high reviews. Both the Aero and the ELC light weight versions look exceptional for their authenticity and are wearable in a wider variety of temperatures and climates.
ELC LIGHTWEIGHT
IMG_0599.jpeg
IMG_0597.png

IMG_0595.jpeg

AERO LIGHTWEIGHT
IMG_0600.png
IMG_0598.png
IMG_0596.jpeg

In my opinion Irvin’s have always been an iconic jacket and as I said, they just look cool. Today there are a variety of makers producing repro Irvin’s . Several of us are anxiously waiting for the arrival of the 5 Star Irvin which should be out soon.
So these are my thoughts on the classic RAF Irvin Flight Jacket. What are yours ?
Now for those of you who think that this post is over, well O Contraire Mon Ami ;)
This post has just begun, because I know that there are several of you out there who have some beautiful Irvin’s. Guys like Chris 55, who has an Aces High Irvin that is a killer repro. Also guys like Grant who has an early ELC Irvin that also looks awesome, not to mention Steve (Micawber) who has the only Aero black sheep Irvin repro I’ve seen. Let’s not forget Nick D7X *** who has a couple of early repro Irvin’s. Also don’t forget Phil and his new Irvin. Phil is the guy who motivated me to post this piece . So ok guys … let’s post all them and tell a little bit about them . How old, how much , where, when etc, etc. So it’s your turn now….. let’s see them! :)

Last edited:

Lord Flashheart

Thank you for kicking this off Burt. :) The Irvin design really is iconic and in my experience can be a very versatile jacket across varied weather conditions, whether you're a rock star or not, if you get your layers right.

And Jan that Aero Merino does have great potential with a bit of wear.

D97x7

Great thread idea, not that I need an excuse to don an Irvin but it helps, lol.
First up, my Eastman, nothing special really, just their standard 1940 version, I love wearing it though. :)
DSC_086701.JPG

Second, my Aero pre-war version in russet with a bit of extra length in body and arms, don't know how much as I literally just asked for a bit. I also love wearing this one but usually seem to reach for the Eastman due to sleeve zips, sort of add to the authenticity feel though in my opinion.
DSC_086801.JPG

I would have loved an Aces High one but I was too late to the party, still hope to see an improvement in the Five Star offerings so I'm not totally out of the market, although I'm more than happy with just, lol, these two really.

Last edited:

Lord Flashheart

A couple of good looking repro's there @D97x7 and an Aero Paratrooper pullover if I'm not mistaken. I've one and I do like it. It's a good balance between weight and warmth :)

Fresh enough round here for my Aero Late War version. I need to put more wear into it but I think my chances are diminishing til the Autumn. With ELC's A-10 gloves.
IMG_2963.jpeg

blackrat2

Burt as usual the makings of another great thread, thanks for all the pics and info..I have to say I prefer the look of the Aeros over certainly some of the Eastman jackets

I think the sheepskin on Jan’s is a great looking sheepskin , not to shiny or overdone and dry looking and certainly a very good price
Be cool to see what Shawn and the boys at 5* come up with

Micawber

Trying to get some continuity of lighting outside today has proved tricky as one minute it's overcast and dark and the next bright sunshine.
So to start off with here's the black Aero that I bought new. When it arrived I was not taken with the pale finish of the hide so carried out a full re-dye and mild weathering. So this is not how the jacket looked out of the box, I will have to look for the photos of first try on.

IMG_20230424_114900_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230424_114807_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20230424_114736_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230424_115145_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230424_111833_HDR~3.jpg

I keep saying that I shall have to dig through my old photo prints which includes some of the stuff I once collected, including original Irvin's, but every time I start going through the boxes containing hundreds of prints I tend to get sidetracked so hours pass and nothing constructive gets done and the job gets left to Ron... better known as Later Ron...

Last edited:

Pilot

This one is just perfect.
Steve, greetings from this part of the world! ( right now Seoul South Korea ).
You look great and with great spirits…. plus all your environment… wow wow wow.
My daughter and granddaughter live in London since several months… I would be so happy and “re” assured if they would live in your neighborhood… and knowing you’re arround….
… yup!
Stay the way you are…
Steve you’re one of our “ scouts “ here…by all possible positive meaning!
Kindest to you and yours Steve!

B-Man2

Trying to get some continuity of lighting outside today has proved tricky as one minute it's overcast and dark and the next bright sunshine.
So to start off with here's the black Aero that I bought new. When it arrived I was not taken with the pale finish of the hide so carried out a full re-dye and mild weathering. So this is not how the jacket looked out of the box, I will have to look for the photos of first try on.

View attachment 107463
View attachment 107465View attachment 107469
View attachment 107471
View attachment 107473

I keep saying that I shall have to dig through my old photo prints which includes some of the stuff I once collected, including original Irvin's, but every time I start going through the boxes containing hundreds of prints I tend to get sidetracked so hours pass and nothing constructive gets done and the job gets left to Ron... better known as Later Ron...
Steve
I love what you did with this one, someone definitely needs to start making dark fleece Irvin’s . I don’t think Aero makes them anymore . Sweet !

B-Man2

Great thread idea, not that I need an excuse to don an Irvin but it helps, lol.
First up, my Eastman, nothing special really, just their standard 1940 version, I love wearing it though. :)
View attachment 107455

Second, my Aero pre-war version in russet with a bit of extra length in body and arms, don't know how much as I literally just asked for a bit. I also love wearing this one but usually seem to reach for the Eastman due to sleeve zips, sort of add to the authenticity feel though in my opinion.
View attachment 107457

I would have loved an Aces High one but I was too late to the party, still hope to see an improvement in the Five Star offerings so I'm not totally out of the market, although I'm more than happy with just, lol, these two really.
A couple of great looking Irvin’s Nick!
If you hadn’t told us, they look like two originals .

B-Man2

5* Irvin with some improvements made by myself (as usual :rolleyes:).View attachment 107461
Can take some detail pictures if needed later...
Please do take a few close ups . That’s the first 5 Star I’ve seen . If you haven’t already done so please let us know the details of what you like and don’t like about the jacket . If you already did that please post the link … Thanks for posting in this thread . :)