• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ride 'em Cowboy! Headwind Mfg Co's Bronco A-2 Has Arrived

ZuZu

Sorry- I just can't get past the Pakistani sewing look- seam allowances not quite right; pocket flap just phoned in- dead looking in general.

On the positive side the overall pattern is OK but to me it still looks like what it is- a cheap copy.

There is no Great White Hope- no inexpensive South Asian solution IMO. Why anybody would buy 10 of these instead of just saving for a good one is beyond me.

IMG_20231109_084742923 (1).jpg

Socalal

Finally some satisfied customers here and a few nice words about Jay and his offerings after a long time bashing...
I'm well aware of the past "issues".
I've learned to assess others' experiences but final judgments mine alone.
These have been my first interactions with Jay and I'll echo MauldinFan-
"I'm the first one to hoist the "BS flag" when a deal goes sideways, but I also will do the opposite when a deal goes well."
Yep.

Skyhawk

Here is a comparison of the ARLO vs BRONCO pockets. We copied the original pockets. The hide is actually very nice. I think you need to have the jacket in hand to really appreciate it and get a true sense of the quality. So far, feedback has been great.
We use the proper style with all the unique characteristics found on the original pockets. The differences are easy to see between the two:
IMG_20231129_111020976.jpg

More goodies on the inside with the proper reinforcements, stitch lines, and Brass Anodized snaps in the proper size. The anodized finish, shape, and look matches the original jacket snaps. The are not painted, shiny, or nickel colored.
IMG_20231129_111151091.jpg

Skyhawk

We are down to one size 38 remaining. Consistent with the Bronco pattern it is slightly more roomy than the average WWII A-2. Restock will be sometime in the end of December to the first part of January. Right now the hides are being tanned. We use custom hides that are made to be a match for the color, grain, and topcoat sheen of the original hides. These hides are not available as an "In Stock" / "Off the Shelf" hide that can just be purchased. It takes a little time to make it. This size 38 is a stunner with no issues and would be a great jacket for someone that fits the numbers provided below.
Bronco-Size-38.jpg

Skyhawk

Actual Measurements and photos of the size 38 that is in stock. This jacket has the new Good Wear knits on it. I was short on mid brown sets and John was nice enough to stock me up for the run.

This Medium Russet Horsehide is custom made for us. It's not off the shelf or some idea of what the color should be. It's not a tobacco, whisky, or any other fancy brown color. We took the actual original A-2 jacket into the tanner and said "Copy this". They did.
They nailed it!!

Chest - 21'
Shoulders 17.5"
Arms 24.5"
Length 24.25"

IMG_20231212_100624393_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231212_101257951_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231212_100704996.jpg

IMG_20231212_101854993.jpg

IMG_20231212_101910405.jpg

Solid, strong construction:
IMG_20231212_101823044.jpg

Something for the stitch counters... 8 stitches per inch:
IMG_20231212_101658503.jpg

Skyhawk

Heads up, we just received some new Bronco's from the next run. There is only one in each size and we had pre orders for sizes 44, 46, 48. That leaves a 38, 40, and 42 in stock. This run has Olive thread and they came out very nice! We are making more soon, including more 44, 46, and 48's. We are completing a run of Aero's (ARLO) and then making more Broncos. We have the hides in stock now so it should be a short wait for the bigger sizes. I am updating the site today with the sizes that are now in stock.