• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ride 'em Cowboy! Headwind Mfg Co's Bronco A-2 Has Arrived

Thomas Koehle

Loved those shots, Boyo. I have the same t-shirt, but nobody has ever realized what it is when I've even worn it to military collector shows.
Just placed an order for one of these A2s, for what my wife said is my joint birthday (at the end of this month) and Christmas present.
Can't wait to try it on, the photos look great!

Same here - even in the cinemas nobody recognises

Skyhawk

We are down to 1 size 38 remaining. We are getting a lot of positive feedback on these! I have been beta testing mine and I love it. Restock is coming in a few weeks and we will have all the sizes available again.

I beta test my jackets extensively when we get new types of hides to see how they hold up. This new Med Russet horse is tough. I snagged the arm on a sharp metal part on a cart. I felt the jacket get caught on it. It left just a tiny mark. Once I dabbed a little conditioned on it, it blended right in. The top coat has a nice gloss to it and provides a little extra durability. The topcoat is a lot more authentic looking than some of the dull fashion leathers you see these days in the economy jacket category. I am really loving this hide.
IMG_20231109_084412547_HDR (1).jpg

IMG_20231109_084742923 (1).jpg

MauldinFan

Just got mine and even though it's a birthday present for the 30th, of course I had to try it on.
20231120_120547-01.jpeg
20231120_120609-01.jpeg

I feels great. Just the right fit in the shoulders. I can reach out without seeing halfway up my forearms!
It's a 46 and I'm 6 feet tall and around 210-ish to give you an idea of size vs fit. I normally wear 44 for oversized style/field jackets but wear a 46 in a suit jacket due to my shoulders.
The lining looks like my originals and feels just right. Great tag and the leather is a perfect texture and thickness.
The knits look and feel exactly as I remember from the original Bronco I owned.
It gives up a light 'new leather' smell but that's all.
20231120_120812-01.jpeg

Several people here have derisively called this an "entry level jacket" which I feel is completely unfair and inaccurate. I've handled and worn several originals since the 80s and this is a really good and accurate jacket!
I only just tried it on and took some photos before I had to get back to work but so far, I really like it!
Jay was very nice to deal with and thats always a bonus to deal with folks who appreciate their customers.

Last edited:

Skyhawk

Any future plans to offer an in-stock A1 or 37J1 like the Arlo and Bronco Jay?
The 37J1 for sure. Maybe the A-1.
The 37J1 will be an in stock jacket, but not part of the economy line. It will be 100% compliant with the military specifications of 1927. Also it will have brown casein (1920's milk plastic) buttons inside and out! I scored a big lot recently of USA made NOS vintage casein buttons. The price will be reasonable, just not the insane bargain that the Supply Depot jackets are.

Juanito

Good info, trying to decide on an a2 in this range myself and reading as much as I can find.
I picked up a second Arlo jacket from Jay a few weeks ago, and I will buy a Bronco when they are restocked and have olive thread.

I'll post a separate review on the Arlo when I have a little time. Those who claim "it looks like the knits are loose," the "liner is like burlap," or the leather is plasticlike," obviously have never seen or handled one. Funny thing--those that actually own them don't state any of this...

The knits are far tighter than on my Kelso Rough Wear I just sold or my Platon Dubow. The liner, while somewhat abrasive when new is now smooth (pulling over a heavily starched dress shirt). No, it isn't tight as an original liner but it isn't even close to "burlap." A Kona cloth would be a better cloth, but we are talking about miniscule differences. If we are talking about liners, the only liner I have seen wear like an original is the Lost Worlds Dubow, but I digress.

The leather is slowly developing some grain. There is no edge wear yet, but I am certain it won't be orange underneath like a Platon Dubow (both russet and seal) nor will it be nearly white like a veg tanned jacket.

Last edited:

Jtrob

I picked up a second Arlo jacket from Jay a few weeks ago, and I will buy a Bronco when they are restocked and have olive thread.

I'll post a separate review on the Arlo when I have a little time. Those who claim "it looks like the knits are loose," the "liner is like burlap," or the leather is plasticlike," obviously have never seen or handled one. Funny thing--those that actually own them don't state any of this...

The knits are far tighter than on my Kelso Rough Wear I just sold or my Platon Dubow. The liner, while somewhat abrasive when new is now smooth (pulling over a heavily starched dress shirt). No, it isn't tight as an original liner but it isn't even close to "burlap." A Kona cloth would be a better cloth, but we are talking about miniscule differences. If we are talking about liners, the only liner I have seen wear like an original is the Lost Worlds Dubow, but I digress.

The leather is slowly developing some grain. There is no edge wear yet, but I am certain it won't be orange underneath like a Platon Dubow (both russet and seal) nor will it be nearly white like a veg tanned jacket.
This is really good feedback, thanks so much. Looking forward to you Arlo review coming soon!

Socalal

Quick update then I gotta run...
Compared to what I currently have (nothing like what you guys have!), Aero, Kelso, Avi Leather, Five Star, this is equal to or better in materials, construction and most important to me- fit.
My Norshor Aero does beat this in some ways but at more then double the cost (new).
The Aero (Horween) is comparable in build and materials, not in fit. Again way more $$$ then the Headwind.
Lots of character to the hides, breaking in fast.
Very, very comfortable.
Impressive.
Jay's service has been impeccable.
Gotta go.

Jtrob

Quick update then I gotta run...
Compared to what I currently have (nothing like what you guys have!), Aero, Kelso, Avi Leather, Five Star, this is equal to or better in materials, construction and most important to me- fit.
My Norshor Aero does beat this in some ways but at more then double the cost (new).
The Aero (Horween) is comparable in build and materials, not in fit. Again way more $$$ then the Headwind.
Lots of character to the hides, breaking in fast.
Very, very comfortable.
Impressive.
Jay's service has been impeccable.
Gotta go.
Thanks for taking the time to make the post, really good Info, I’m in the middle of decision making myself!

MauldinFan

Finally some satisfied customers and a few nice words about Jay and his offerings after a long time bashing...
I had no idea there was any bashing until I'd already made my order.
As I haven't been on this forum for very long, the history wasn't known to me.
That said, my experience with Jay was a very good one. He even inspected the A2 that was going to go to me, found something wrong and communicated everything about that (to include sending a photo of what was wrong with the first jacket he was going to box up for me).
I've recommended Jay and his products to several friends in the living history hobby since I got my A2. The fact that he's "across the river" in Oregon is a bonus to me as I like dealing as locally as I can.
If he had issues in the past, my experience had none.
I'm the first one to hoist the "BS flag" when a deal goes sideways, but I also will do the opposite when a deal goes well. I feel small businesses like this deserve that when it's merited as I assume it doesn't happen enough...
Thanks for taking the time to make the post, really good Info, I’m in the middle of decision making myself!
I can't of course promise you'll like the jacket as much as I (and apparently 'Socalal') have, but had I seen the posts we each have made, I'd be tempted to pull the trigger as well. My photos speak for themselves, I think.
For what you pay for one, I think the Headwind Bronco is an excellent jacket and I'm very happy with mine.

Last edited: