• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price increase at Eastman Leather

Southoftheborder

Well said John, ELC do make a nice jacket for certain but like GW I have often wondered how many jackets they sell say on a weekly/monthly basis? Often wondered what profit there is on a £1k+ jacket?
Surely they are not selling loads at those prices, especially in the current economic climate, albeit I’m not so sure that’s as bad as the media would have you believe!!!
Don't they export the majority? Japan is a big market as is the US and Germany. They have thirteen stockists in China now as opposed to just two in the UK. They do sell on the website in the UK mostly of course. But still...

entertainment

What about lead times ?
Eastman can usually make something in 4 to 6 weeks.
For UK customers ELC is a good choice because there are no duties to pay. So any thing from overseas will be 30 % more expensive. Returns are easy so no big costs for couriers and yet more import costs.
Broken zip ? No problem, send it back for a replacement for about 70 pounds posted.
I have been buying jackets for decades (like everyone else) from the USA, Japan and New Zealand and have come to realise that considering all the variables Eastman or another home grown outfit gives the best out come.
Just my experience
Your argument makes a lot of sense. I would definitely be much more likely to buy an Eastman if I lived in the UK.
I have two: an Irvin and an A-1. Both purchased used.

Smithy

We've talked about this a lot over the last few years.

If you can afford them, and you really like/want an ELC jacket then go for it I say. If you can't afford one or don't think they're worth it then don't buy one. Whether they are worth what they are charging is up to the punter stumping up the cash for one.

They make great looking and beautiful jackets with short wait times. They're expensive compared to a lot of other options but once again it's up to the buyer to work out whether it's worth it for them.

John Lever

We've talked about this a lot over the last few years.

If you can afford them, and you really like/want an ELC jacket then go for it I say. If you can't afford one or don't think they're worth it then don't buy one. Whether they are worth what they are charging is up to the punter stumping up the cash for one.

They make great looking and beautiful jackets with short wait times. They're expensive compared to a lot of other options but once again it's up to the buyer to work out whether it's worth it for them.
They started out in a collection of wooden agricultural buildings and have grown to a successful business with a showroom so they must be doing something right.

bn1966

Their showroom in Ivybridge Devon is worth a visit if you ever get the opportunity, fantastic display of A-2 originals on the wall & displays from films that they supplied to. Best to ring & let them know you are coming though. I have had a couple of recent trips there, coffee machine is always on it appears and I get the run of the extensive clothing racks (very dangerous). Rob (always helpful) answers any questions and I eventually settle on that days order. As noted the smutter isn’t cheap but it is good, over the years I’ve covered all the seasons with ELC leather jacket purchases, they make up the core of my wardrobe. Buying elsewhere is too much of a gamble for the money involved, chuck in import taxes & the cost of returning non fitting items & it becomes a no brainier. With ELC being just down the road from me (120 miles) I’m pretty much guaranteed if I go and try on I’ll come away happy.

Smithy

Their showroom in Ivybridge Devon is worth a visit if you ever get the opportunity, fantastic display of A-2 originals on the wall & displays from films that they supplied to. Best to ring & let them know you are coming though. I have had a couple of recent trips there, coffee machine is always on it appears and I get the run of the extensive clothing racks (very dangerous). Rob (always helpful) answers any questions and I eventually settle on that days order. As noted the smutter isn’t cheap but it is good, over the years I’ve covered all the seasons with ELC leather jacket purchases, they make up the core of my wardrobe. Buying elsewhere is too much of a gamble for the money involved, chuck in import taxes & the cost of returning non fitting items & it becomes a no brainier. With ELC being just down the road from me (120 miles) I’m pretty much guaranteed if I go and try on I’ll come away happy.

I think that's exactly the thing. If you live in the UK then it actually makes sense to buy from ELC as no import taxes and you have the option of making the trip and trying jackets on, or even if you order online and you need to return for a different size it's not as big a faff to send it back than if you were living overseas.

All of these jackets from all the top tier makers are expensive now, so if you can save on import duties and ever better try it on before you buy it, it makes sense.

Otter

Ouch!
IIRC I paid about £175 for an Eastman B15 branded to the Brietling air races, new condition, about 6 years back which I patched to a Korean War Mosquito fac squadron.
About 4 years ago I bought a new, unworn, BOB Irvine for £350 from greed bay. Looks like prices have ballooned to crazy levels.

Griffon_301

Guess I should stay away from their showroom either, I felt like a boy in a toy store in their trade stall already, as long as they were present at Flying Legends Show at Duxford many years ago.
that was a great opportunity to meet like minded people, talk to Gary and his great guys and try on all their jackets...oh and the smell of leather, just awesome...
did I mention that they always offered a 10% airshow discount back in those days...?

luckily I have around 10 of their jackets in my collection. some of them I bought in those old days when they were still reasonably priced, and some I have added along the way second hand from various sources...

there is still one or another jacket I might want to add, chief and foremost an ANJ-4 and maybe a Luftwaffe or Hartmann jacket, but only if the price is right, which will only be via second hand.

If necessary I might sell or trade my B-15B but as Iike that jacket too very much, I might as well keep it :)

given the current climate developments and the fact that even winters here are getting warmer and warmer, additional sheepskins beyond those I own already might be hard to justify and I love both of my Irvins very much, so a ANJ-4 might be hard pressed in a fight for weartine against the RAF sheerlings...

to come back to the original topic, I can only wholeheartedly recommend their jackets, they might not me the most accurate (compared to GW) and they might not be the cheapest anymore, but my first real repro was an ELC and it was an ElC G-1 my spouse bought me as a BD day present that triggered my passion for collecting flight jackets.
so ELC jackets will always hold a special place in my collector heart...

ps.: if anyone has a ANJ-4 in size 44 or 46 and might be willing to part with it, I might be interested ;)

Griffon_301

I was eying that one for some time already, I am just not sure if it would really fit me in a size 44 as I never had the chance to try a ANJ-4 on.
the Irvin in size 44 is a tight fit due to its construction while the B-3 in 44 is ok...

Smithy

I think for a lot of us here ELC holds a lot of nostalgia value, they were the jackets we lusted after in the 90s and they were the top of the heap back in the day.

I'd wanted an ELC Irvin for 8 years before I had the opportunity to buy one back in the 00s. It was my dream jacket and I still love it.

I will always have a soft spot for ELC's jackets because they were the first I lusted over.

They are expensive and I personally wouldn't buy one new but they're great looking jackets.

Kermit3D

ELC make great jackets for sure!
I've never owned an ELC jacket, but for at least 10 years I was convinced there was no equivalent. I still think some ELC products are exceptional.

Now I think it's too expensive, especially when you live outside the UK.
But one thing is certain... if one day I visit their showroom, I can say with certainty that it will be very difficult for me to leave empty-handed.

What I don't like about ELC is that they take a few liberties (in all conscience) with some of the historical details, even though they claim everywhere that their garments are very precise... but that's another subject. ;)