• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Platon Dubow seal?

Smithy

It's a tricky one Brett because you probably have the perfect physique for Broncos so you'll probably always use that pattern as the benchmark.

Looking forward to the pics when you get the chance.

Brettafett

Gosh, I don't recall. I did begin correspondence with him right at the beginning when I first heard about this jacket.
The actual order was only placed once some details were confirmed, jacket took a few months.

timmbo

What I recon my issue is going to be is the Dubow pattern.
I am a V-frame type... Broader shoulders, narrow waist, trim torso (Roughwears and Broncos seem to fit well)....
This pattern, like the Monarch seems to me to be slightly more A-shaped... Slightly narrower shoulders, slightly wider waist, torso not as trim...
This is a personal thing...

Interested to hear your thoughts Brett. We sound similar in build - I’m a 41” chest, 34” waist and 49” shoulders going by Platon’s measurement guide, 6’ tall. I’ve ordered a 42.

Has anyone ordered recently and have a sense of current lead time?

Brettafett

Hi guys, yes, I have... some terrible phone pics. Will consolidate and post this evening.
A few things. This jacket is fantastic. For what is is and what its going for, its a no brainer.
I've worn it into work and even though the fit (for me) is not 100% perfect in the torso, and this is likely due to the Dubow pattern, I am very happy with it.
The leather is great, its a mid-brown seal (NOT dark) colour, with varying grain and hue... Left sleeve for example, has a slightly more pebbly grain appearance (subtle) and the right sleeve is a bit smoother in comparison.
Fit-wise, a 42 was the right choice. There is a bit of room for a sweater, which I wore in today, so Timmbo, a 42 should be good. Lengths would be the big ??? But for the price, its well-worth the try.
So far, one of the better A-2 buys imo...

Brettafett

OK, some real quick pics.
This one is the best representative of colour.
Dubow27798 3.jpg

This ones a bit dark, late night... But shows fit.
Dubow27798 1.jpg

Better for colour and detail...
Dubow27798 2.jpg

timmbo

Personally, I'd want the waist ribbing to sit at least one , maybe two, inches higher; hopefully with my height, the 42 would work well.

I'd be keen to see a picture with the collar snaps fastened, when you next take some. From pictures I have seen, how the Dubow collar sits "upright" and tight against the neck is part of the appeal.

Lebowski

You might not want to sell to this guy.
OK, some real quick pics.
This one is the best representative of colour.
View attachment 14011
This ones a bit dark, late night... But shows fit.
View attachment 14009
Better for colour and detail...
View attachment 14010
Brett, the jacket looks nice. Leather, pattern - everything looks tempting to me.
I suppose it might feel a bit roomy 'cause it's size 42 instead of your usual size 40.
If you'd like to get more trim fitted Dubow, it seems you may consider to try next Dubow in size 40.
P.S. No worries, 'cause if you change your mind - I might buy it from you, I like it)

Last edited:

Brettafett

I recently tried on a BK Dubow 1755 in a 40 and it was too small (an incredible jacket btw! Heck... one of the best repro A-2s I have ever seen). Too tight and too short though.
These patterns are almost identical, so doubt I could go smaller.
Its just this particular pattern and the way these Dubows are built. Narrower shoulders with an easy torso. Smaller back panel, balanced out with larger (by comparison) front panel... this makes for a potentially tricky pattern for a guy with broad shoulders and a trim waist.
I will post a review with measurements and better pics soon... Hopefully.

Lebowski

I recently tried on a BK Dubow 1755 in a 40 and it was too small (an incredible jacket btw! Heck... one of the best repro A-2s I have ever seen). Too tight and too short though.
These patterns are almost identical, so doubt I could go smaller.
Its just this particular pattern and the way these Dubows are built. Narrower shoulders with an easy torso. Smaller back panel, balanced out with larger (by comparison) front panel... this makes for a potentially tricky pattern for a guy with broad shoulders and a trim waist.
I will post a review with measurements and better pics soon... Hopefully.
It seems it has some extra room not only in torso, but also a bit in shoulders and biceps.
That's why I've thought about trying size 40 in it.
Btw how this leather smells? BK's leather usually has very nice pleasant scent.

Last edited:

Brettafett

Yeah, its one of those funny things... The BK 1755 40 looked classically trim and neat in photos, but I could barely lift my arms.
If I stood on a street corner with arms at my side not moving for pennies, people might pass by and say, "cool, sharp looking A-2"... Hell no could I actually wear it.
Theres a bit of room for me in this jacket... But I can tell already, that wearing it in, it will crease up, soften and conform... Yeah, its growing on me.
Its the pattern... Roughwears (at least ELC's 1401) and Broncos work well for me, being trimmer in the torso with slightly broader shoulders, the pattern allowing decent arm motion.
I struggled with ELC's Star and Monarch for the same reason. The body of this jacket compares Aero's patterns (i.e. a touch roomier per size).
All personal preferences I guess.

jeremiah

Yeah. I am really glad for my size in my 38 arco. I can wear it with comfort. I guess I’d rather lean in the little bigger than the little smaller fit.

Love that color Brett. Looks amazing.

Flightengineer

Hi Brett, beautiful jacket, thanks for the pics. In my opinion, it would be better if it will be a bit shorter. Maybe it looks like this because of the phone photos. I didn't clear understand - do you feel that you have finally found what you wanted or this Dubow awaits the fate of your previous jackets?

Lebowski

Very like this A-2, it looks so authentic. I'd even say, as much authentic as original Dubow, in its every detail. Superb!

Brettafett

Hi Dmitry,
Well, no… its not the perfect fit, and Im not sure if I will keep it. Its a fantastic jacket mind you and for the price, totally worth it.
I still have my BK on the way, and am eagerly awaiting AVI’s new Broncos… so who knows ;)