• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice period photos of A-2's

Smithy

Great photos. What I find interesting is the RAF officer in the first photo wearing an A-2 and the 3 RAF officers wearing A-2s in the second photo.

I know that several RAF types were attached to Greenville as instructors during the war so there's a good chance that these men are just that.

Smithy

The only RAF guys I know who got US flight jackets were those on exchange with US squadrons for flying experience, were instructors (like these chaps) or had bartered them from a US servicemen (this is pretty rare but I have an occasion in some of my things regarding an A-2 in this manner).

The only RAF administered units flying off British soil to wear A-2s were the Norwegian ones and especially 331 and 332 Sqns. They were issued them at Little Norway in Canada during flight training via a procurement deal for flying clothing and kit brokered by the Norwegian government in exile, and flew with them operationally during the war. It's the only use of A-2s at a unit level within the RAF during the war.

B-Man2

God 3 of the RAF guys look so young. I think Smithy is spot on. The US and UK had for lack of a better description, what is known in the military as “ cross pollination” or exchange programs. This seems to be the case in this photo. They would have been fitted with US jackets and kit the same as many US pilots were in the UK with British Kit.
I’m not talking about the Eagle Squadron Pilots but rather the US pilots we look at everyday who happen to be wearing UK helmets, mosquito boots , British life jackets and easy escape parachute harnesses with the twist and click release feature etc.

Last edited:

Officer Dibley

Not an A-2 ..... i’m sure there’s a story of how this guy got an Irvin. Eagle guy Smithy ?

A55F916E-C77A-4D77-9F28-C80193250492.jpeg
6F8C7811-0CDF-4BBB-BE0A-E1D5EF0A1A3E.jpeg

Smithy

Don't know the fellow nor the pic sorry. In terms of the 4th FG there's quite a few photos from their early days of them wearing Irvins which they had been issued whilst member of the RAF as Eagles.

That jacket looks to be a later war example due to the panel configuration - the Irvins you tend to see former Eagles wearing in the 4th are the 2 or 4 panel examples - so perhaps this one in the photo was obtained through cross service experience later in the war.

Edward

media-39662.jpeg

381st Bomber Group Ridgewell England WW2
- Front Row : L to R
1. Pilot Leonard E. Zapenski -Chicago Il POW
2. 2nd Pilot 2nd Lt Othmer G Widash - Los Angeles Ca
3. Nav . Me --Dave POW
4. Bomb. 2nd Lt Robert Van Buskirk - San Diego Calif. POW
Standing L to R
1. Eng. Sgt William E. Webb W. Palm Beach Fla
2. A. Eng Sgt Hamilton B. Harper Winston- Salem NC
3. Radio O. Sgt George J Pastre Pasadena Ca POW
4. Sgt Peter Kudviavitz Jr Springfield Vt ENG
5 A. Arm Sgt James E. Wilson Hillsboro Oregon POW
6 (Not Shown) Cpl Donald a Harness St Louis Mo POW

Brettafett

Standing
2. A. Eng Sgt Hamilton B. Harper Winston- Salem NC
Looks like he's wearing an Eastman House Catch-22 jacket. Look at that collar!

Edward

Lucky Graki serial # 41-34854 coded RJ-N had one of the most distinguished careers of all the Marauders in the 323rd Bomb Group, 454th Bomb Squadron. Having survived the war, it completed 197 combat missions at wars Its first mission was on July 16, 1943 against the Abbeville Marshaling Yards, France. It participated both in the D-Day bombing and the very last mission of WWII the 454th flew to the Erding Airdrome in Germany on April 25th, 1945 to take out the airport and the Me262’s based there.
LuckyGraki.jpg