• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new ELC roughwear 27752!

nogbat

it will be interesting to see one... it had better be something really special, my own hunch is it would resemble a good wear..if it is just a done up 50 cal, i dont think it will do elc any favours :? i :? :? i hope ime wrong but lets see....

havocpaul

John Lever said:
I think ELC has economies of scale that JC doesn't, being largely a single man operation. His jackets are all made to order whereas ELC has them on the rack. That makes his jackets cheaper in comparison, but obviously there is a lead time of several weeks.
If they can sell them good luck to them. Maybe they might start to make some Navy shearlings with some of the profits ?

By that 'rule' The Few should be cheaper then as should other Jap makers like BR and Toys etc. ELC can make to order as can be seen at Duxford where theirtape measures are working overtime!

John Lever

Not sure about Toys McCoys and BR, but The Few will customise at no extra cost. Their prices are intergalactic any way though so who knows ?
Like I said previously, if they can sell them at the price then good luck to them. The point I was trying to make about JC was that as a sole trader it is very difficult to increase out put to mass produced levels. I assume ELC have a type of production line at their Devon works.
It's good to see them introducing new products and at least we don't get stung with duty when we buy from them.

John Lever

From Gary -
Yes, we're extremely pleased with it. Believe me they are even better in the 'flesh', and every hide is as good as that one looks in the pictures. We've been working on this for a long time - it's very very hard to get Horse made in this traditional way, and needless to say very expensive. In my opion it's the best of any of the Horsehides that are available from other manufacturers currently. I know the price is a fair bit more, but in consideration of what I've just mentioned, they are good value I can assure you.

There's a cutting on its way to you.

Best regards,
Gary

That seems a fair answer to me.

Grant

The horsehide on the new 27752 looks like that Vermont Espresso leather John Chapman used when he first started making A-2's.

Andrew

Grant said:
The horsehide on the new 27752 looks like that Vermont Espresso leather John Chapman used when he first started making A-2's.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Looks great but a crazy price. The original 27752 sz48 I just bought cost me less.

Roughwear

Swing said:
John Lever said:
I think ELC has economies of scale that JC doesn't, being largely a single man operation. His jackets are all made to order whereas ELC has them on the rack. That makes his jackets cheaper in comparison,

Being a one man operation should make him more expensive than ELC since he isn't buying in the bulk they should be.

$1000+ for the new ELC 27752.... not impressed with the jacket or the price.

~Swing

Swing, I would be interested to hear why you are not impressed with the RW. I know the price is high, but it does appear to be a distinct improvement of their previous offering.

Swing

Roughwear said:
Swing said:
John Lever said:
I think ELC has economies of scale that JC doesn't, being largely a single man operation. His jackets are all made to order whereas ELC has them on the rack. That makes his jackets cheaper in comparison,

Being a one man operation should make him more expensive than ELC since he isn't buying in the bulk they should be.

$1000+ for the new ELC 27752.... not impressed with the jacket or the price.

~Swing

Swing, I would be interested to hear why you are not impressed with the RW. I know the price is high, but it does appear to be a distinct improvement of their previous offering.

Might be better in person, but I'm not liking the leather.

~Swing

Swing

Roughwear said:
Apart from the cost why are you not liking the leather Swing?

Don't like the grain. Reminds me of the Pearl Harbor jackets, and doesn't look vintage to me, it looks cheap. I want some grain on my jackets as much as the next guy, but I don't like what I'm seeing on that jacket.

~Swing

Roughwear

Swing said:
Roughwear said:
Apart from the cost why are you not liking the leather Swing?

Don't like the grain. Reminds me of the Pearl Harbor jackets, and doesn't look vintage to me, it looks cheap. I want some grain on my jackets as much as the next guy, but I don't like what I'm seeing on that jacket.

~Swing

This is sad Swing. The hh looks very close to the originals I have owned from this contract. Of course many wartime originals did not necessarily have large areas of pronounced grain.

Grant

Couldn't agree with Swing more. Doesn't look anything like original Rough Wears let alone the 27752 contract. The grain on Carlo's repro A-2 looks much more like the part.

Roughwear

Grant said:
Couldn't agree with Swing more. Doesn't look anything like original Rough Wears let alone the 27752 contract. The grain on Carlo's repro A-2 looks much more like the part.

Grant, it's not 100% accurate as a repro but its better than the previous offering. Please explain why you consider it doesn't look anything like an original RW. I feel the jacket is overpriced and I prefer JC's current repros of this contract, but I have not seen this one in the flesh.

havocpaul

Carlo's is a different contract and I don't see it's particularly fair to compare with a jacket that is seen being worn and has had 6 months wear, I reserve unbiased judgement until I see one for real in the flesh and as I've said previously, the price is the same as a GW anyhow and I've not heard too many complaints that they are overpriced before.

269sqnhudson

I very nearly bought one that first morning but 2 things made me go with the Cable:
Firstly the price and secondly the 27752 leather somehow looks a bit 'commercial' to me. By that I mean it looks like the kind of 'vintage' leather you might get on a high street brand jacket, Firetrap, Urban Outfitters, G-Star or whatever. It might be pricey but it looks too obviously 'vintagey'.

Grant/Swing: Is this along the lines of what you were thinking?

IN FACT I know what it reminds me of, it looks like an Aero steer A-2 I bought in 2002, the Aero was a slightly different shade but looked aniline and vintagey, a damn good jacket though, wore it for 4-5 years.

Tom

John Lever

The samples just came in the post. Remember I'm not an A-2 buff, but I do work with colour and texture professionally as an antique restorer/artist.
IMO the leather is very very good. It has some shine, but perhaps would look better with a little more. The creases are quite subtle, and the feel is very antique, being slightly dry to the touch. It does buff up when rubbed hard so it will probably develop some interesting areas of contrasting sheen. There doesn't appear to be an aniline type translucency to the finish which could be casein based, not sure. The leather is pretty thick and quite tough so should last for ages.

rich

~Swing

Maybe not - very few overheads as a one man band, and employing a workforce is costly in it's own right.