• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new ELC roughwear 27752!

Cobblers161

Now that looks much better.

WTF is going on with the price though(if you'll pardon my French but I am shocked)? An extra £200, they must be nuts. At that price the choice is easy, get a Good Wear.

Roughwear

Now this is more like it! Much better colour and hide. However why can't they use nipple snaps on the pockets with the indentation? JC gets this right by using United Carr snaps, but ELC do not use them. The price is just OTT. :eek:

Hawkeye

Its nice, but how in the deepest depths of hell do they justify that price? It makes the ANJ-4 and 1940 Irvin look cheap in comparison (and they recently had a large price jump as well)

John Lever

The leather looks similar to that on GW jackets, I wonder is it Japanese ?

I can't imagine many Brits. spending that much money on a domestic jacket. Imports have that 'mystery' and 'something'. You don't expect to pay quite that much from Eastman. If they can sell them then good luck to them.
It does look very nice.
If exchange rates go the wrong way they are in trouble.

havocpaul

I agree, amazing hide (Italian it says), but that price....!?! For we Brits then it is going to be cheaper to source an original than buy this jacket or indeed similar from GW or Japan with current exchange rates, clearly the importing of materials has pushed their prices up but it is now definately a rich-man's hobby.

Chris217

I can remember paying around 425.00 USD for a new ELC 1401 in the early 90's....My how times have changed.

nogbat

some of the hides elc have used are a bit poop to say the least.. but some are great.i once had a monarch with inside pockets from elc ,,, well allthough ime an elc fan this a2 was like a plastic jacket so it went back .. but i have seen a monarch at a show made by elc and it was good..so i guess it depends on what they have.... but the price of the new jacket... i dont think so :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marv

Looks very nice, never really been a fan of the Roughwear A2 but this definately looks great(the PH A2 in walnut looks very similar to this jacket I think).....I wonder if the pics on the ELC site are of the "time worn" version as the jacket does look very grainy and broken in or for the price they are asking, all new jackets (not the time worn version) come like this.

rich

729.jpg

Persimmon

My Goodness.
So thats where the price came from.
Historical accuracy in everyway including the cost.
Glory be !!

Falcon_52

The new hide looks a lot like the one Buzz Rickson's is using for their "bronco hide" jackets, which is very nice. That new sticker price is a tough pill to swallow, though. :(

Noel

269sqnhudson

Just for info I got some news from the horse's mouth.

I ordered a Cable A2 this morning and enquired about whether other A2s like the Star are bumping up to £650 with new jazzy hide (I assumed the new Cable would stay as is because it's just been launched). Alan said that they 'can't get the colour right for the Star' in the new Italian hide and they haven't got other plans for up-pricing the rest of the range. Good to know.

I think £474 for my Cable is my absolute top whack and that's having just got a bonus at work!

Tom

CBI

People pay top dollar for BR so I guess ELC is giving it a shot. I loose interest when repros cost as much/more than decent originals. At that point, I would buy the real thing.

John Lever

269sqnhudson said:
Just for info I got some news from the horse's mouth.

I ordered a Cable A2 this morning and enquired about whether other A2s like the Star are bumping up to £650 with new jazzy hide (I assumed the new Cable would stay as is because it's just been launched). Alan said that they 'can't get the colour right for the Star' in the new Italian hide and they haven't got other plans for up-pricing the rest of the range. Good to know.

I think £474 for my Cable is my absolute top whack and that's having just got a bonus at work!

Tom
Hmmm.. they are prone to the odd factual inexactitude.

havocpaul

Price comparison for UK, a GW RW27752 with an original Talon zip is $1050.... (duty extra)

1,050.00 USD = 683.415 GBP

About the same then give or take, I know some of you will always say you would choose a GW, others do like ELC and this is one of their finest looking A-2's, I am looking forward to seeing them on the racks at Duxford in July.

CBI

about $1,120 for us in the US. True, a GW with a NOS zip is about the same price???

John Lever

I think ELC has economies of scale that JC doesn't, being largely a single man operation. His jackets are all made to order whereas ELC has them on the rack. That makes his jackets cheaper in comparison, but obviously there is a lead time of several weeks.
If they can sell them good luck to them. Maybe they might start to make some Navy shearlings with some of the profits ?

Swing

John Lever said:
I think ELC has economies of scale that JC doesn't, being largely a single man operation. His jackets are all made to order whereas ELC has them on the rack. That makes his jackets cheaper in comparison,

Being a one man operation should make him more expensive than ELC since he isn't buying in the bulk they should be.

$1000+ for the new ELC 27752.... not impressed with the jacket or the price.

~Swing