• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Eastman Leather M422A "Elite Unit"

Kermit3D

Standing in line?
Cartes de rationements à nouveau dans le Micron-Paradis:) ?
Apologies, I am mean… but happy I am out:) also out of all lines :cool:
Maybe I didn't use the right words... I don't know how to say it well in English : "je faisais la queue chez le boucher". :D
Anyway, my wife and I made a great boeuf bourguigon (cooked for three times two hours... it was tender :p) !

Smithy

Isn't it obvious....?

The entire purpose of this jacket is a simulation, collar included.

The problem is that it (the collar) is not a "simulation" of a worn mouton collar. It's a straight up sheepskin collar. Therein lies the problem.

My ATF B-10s have sheepskin collars. They look vaguely like a nice approximation of old, used mouton but not really. Doesn't bother me as they didn't cost too much and they're not high-priced, high end repros.

But this ELC is an enormous chunk of change and for that I'd be wanting a real mouton collar rather than the not very mouton looking furry bathroom rug look.

It's like if they made an Irvin with mouton, it'd be just wrong.

But with that said and you like it then buy one. At the end of the day it's always going to be a repro and the level of realism of what repro you buy is up to you.

ZuZu

The problem is that it (the collar) is not a "simulation" of a worn mouton collar. It's a straight up sheepskin collar. Therein lies the problem.

My ATF B-10s have sheepskin collars. They look vaguely like a nice approximation of old, used mouton but not really. Doesn't bother me as they didn't cost too much and they're not high-priced, high end repros.

But this ELC is an enormous chunk of change and for that I'd be wanting a real mouton collar rather than the not very mouton looking furry bathroom rug look.

But with that said and you like it then buy one. At the end of the day it's always going to be a repro and the level of realism of what repro you buy is up to you.
I was going to pipe in but again you've expressed it perfectly!

Smithy

Yeah, it's a sign of the times, I guess....

Much more could be added about that specific reproduction... But I'll pass.

D

No point going off with your knickers in a knot.

It was you who was adamant that this new offering had a mouton collar. Some of us have just been trying to clarify what mouton actually is as it seems (as you've demonstrated) there's been confusion over it.

A high end repro of this flying jacket should have a mouton collar for accuracy. Members are merely pointing this fact out.

It's for those buying this jacket to care about this fact or not, and if it affects the decision to purchase it.

Smithy

Shit you really are priggish with this...
Eh?

Slightly aggressive aren't you?

I thought we'd all been having an interesting (and polite) discussion about mouton and this jacket. Brice had posted some wonderful period pics and lots of members were discussing this.

I have absolutely no idea why you're in a snot about this thread and me in particular.

Apologies if I've offended you in some way but TBH I'm buggered to know why on earth you're packing a sad and seem to be offended.

Spitfireace

Bathroom rug look... nice lol.

ZuZu

Whatever the color (and it's usually darkish) mouton was meant to be a simulation of mink or beaver fur- plush straight hairs. It's also supposedly more waterproof I've heard somewhere. As it ages I guess it can start reverting back to sheepskin looking but it's still distinctive.

Last edited:

Smithy

Whatever the color (and it's usually darkish) mouton was meant to be a simulation of mink or beaver fur- plush straight hairs. It's also supposedly more waterproof I've heard somewhere.

I've heard the waterproof thing before as well Jeff. Apparently it was to make the fleece denser to repel moisture.

ZuZu

I was to by a Higher Authority that it's OK to wear in the rain- probably not a driving soaking rain but it's OK to get it wet.

Spitfireace

Bill Kelso is on board:

I would not wear that. Nice as it is.