• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My last A-2 (hopefully) - Good Wear

Dany McDonald

Dany

Pics etc on his site are great, but wait til you get one in hand...awesome

I do have one (RW 1401) at hand, hence the stay reasonable!

See I have a NOS Crown M42 and would like to built a jacket around it (I know I am toasted) and I love GW Aero's leather (see Micawber one's)... lost cause...

GW-42-1401-P.jpg

Dany McDonald

Dany, that GW RW1401 looks so much like mine from back in 2015

Brett you are right, they could be twins! I acquired mine thru the for sale here on VLJ and I don't have a lot info about it. It seems to have passed in many hands, I know it was once in Victor Kerpel was one of the owners. I didn't bother to write to John to ask for what type of leather, with him being so occupied to reply. Let's say I just enjoy it!

What is your's made of, it could be a start?

Dany

Brettafett

I no longer have it. It fit beautifully, but when I lifted my arms the sleeves pulled way up and I hated that.
It was the dull russet Shinki, mid brown knits and thread. If I recall it a 40 with a touch added to length (fit more like a 42)

Dany McDonald

"dull russet Shinki" That sounds about right for mine too. Did yours have a repro Crown chain with original puller?

When I got it last year, it was a tiny bit duller than it should be, not dry, just thirsty. I coated it with very thin layers of vaseline, 3 actually, and it started to show some patina after wearing it over a period of 2-3 weeks.

With GW it only gets better!

D

Brettafett

I don't recall about the zipper... mmm
I do recall John mentioning about using vaseline though. Does anyone else use it I wonder?
Would vaseline do a leather jacket any damage, in any way? I know that may come across as ignorant after being on this forum for so long... Ive never treated any jacket, except an ELC a decade ago with their hide food, which was not ideal...

Dany McDonald

Don't wanna hijack Tim's discussion with the perennial question about leather treatment, but vaseline is as good as any other expensive products out there for maintaining.
I personally like to work on leather and have tried a lot of tricks and recipes and have noticed that there is a difference in the approach and depending on the type of work needed; ie, maintaining or restoring.
I have a custom motorcycle leather seat that I do experiment on and vaseline is equal to many other stuff I've tried.

On a side note: Wish we could ask Suzie of the "Repair Shop" to share her secrets!

D

Brettafett

What is it with GW jackets that always look better than just about anything else? And almost every picture that I see of a GW seems to reinforce that impression, those jackets look like originals. That's why I've decided to go for one...
Although I agree, I have to add that GWs have been around for a while. Give Platon's Dubows and BKs jackets some time (Ive seen a couple that look insane), and you'll see the same thing.
All depends how you treat and wear them in.