• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My last A-2 (hopefully) - Good Wear

Brettafett

I seem to recall a conversation way back, it was said that many later war jackets were not constructed very well, incl some later Aeros.
I definitely recall something about Aeros and poor build on some of them.

I dont think it was ALL Aeros, could have been other contracts also ???

B-Man2

I think JCs preference , at least initially when he first got started in the industry was WWII USN jackets like the M-422 & 422As the Monarch for one. This goes back a ways but I think I remember either reading or hearing something like that .
BTW , I’m definitely not confusing this info with Dave Sheeley, who likes those types of jackets as well.

Smithy

Or should it rather be, good things happen to those who wait. Now off to pay the deposit!

That's great Lorenzo!

So there's a few of us VLJers on the waiting list.

In terms of mine, the more and more I think about it and go over John's website, the more and more it feels like it has to be a 27752 for me. Great thing is that everyone here seems to be going for different contracts which will make it far more interesting when we receive them and post them here.

Smithy

Maybe we can even do some sort of joint jacket review post. :)

That sounds like a great idea Jan, especially if we're lucky and they arrive within a few weeks of each other.

I was completely calm when I ordered and thought "yup it's a year or two, no big deal" but that's changed now that I've actually ordered and am in the queue, now I know I'm going to get a GW I can hardly wait, and yet that's exactly what I have to do. The GW Paradox!

mulceber

That sounds like a great idea Jan, especially if we're lucky and they arrive within a few weeks of each other.

We could also just use this thread and each post our review as they come in. That would be easier to coordinate. Yeah, I'm getting excited about this one. I love a good russet A-2, and hopefully this Monarch will be the one to nail the fit.

Smithy

We could also just use this thread and each post our review as they come in. That would be easier to coordinate. Yeah, I'm getting excited about this one. I love a good russet A-2, and hopefully this Monarch will be the one to nail the fit.

Great idea Jan! Let's use this thread as a catch all for everything about our GW orders.

We can use it for updates, to bounce ideas around, advice, and once they come, photos and reviews.

So how many have we coming, there's a bunch of A-2s and Kermit I think is the only one bucking the trend with a B-6?

GW VLJ Roll call, everybody sound off, what contract is top of the list - no multiple answers, just which one is heading the pack at the moment. It'll be fun to see if and how this changes over the next year or so.

I'll start it off...

Rough Wear 27752

Next!...

Lorenzo_l

Great idea Jan! Let's use this thread as a catch all for everything about our GW orders.

We can use it for updates, to bounce ideas around, advice, and once they come, photos and reviews.

So how many have we coming, there's a bunch of A-2s and Kermit I think is the only one bucking the trend with a B-6?

GW VLJ Roll call, everybody sound off, what contract is top of the list - no multiple answers, just which one is heading the pack at the moment. It'll be fun to see if and how this changes over the next year or so.

I'll start it off...

Rough Wear 27752

Next!...

Star Sportswear. Although I doubt that that's going to be what I end up settling for....

Lorenzo_l

That's great Lorenzo!

So there's a few of us VLJers on the waiting list.

In terms of mine, the more and more I think about it and go over John's website, the more and more it feels like it has to be a 27752 for me. Great thing is that everyone here seems to be going for different contracts which will make it far more interesting when we receive them and post them here.

Cheers, Tim. Though I had more or less settled on a Star Sportwear (I wanted a non-collar stand, seal brown jacket), Mr Chapman suggested that I consider other contracts based on fit and appearance. So I am having to go to GW's website and check those contracts. Also have a look at said contracts in Mr Chapman's CD as well as in onther resources. Decisions decisions.

Mr. Mike

Yeah, of the two, I'd recommend Star. You'll have a more accurate label, since John doesn't have the rights to use "Aero" anymore.

My other reason for suggesting the Star is that John's told me in the past that the companies that made the nicest A-2 jackets were the ones that specialized in garment manufacturing when they weren't supplying the military. Monarch, Fried-Ostermann, Star, and Rough Wear (all clothing manufacturers) produced beautifully constructed jackets. Dubow (baseball gloves) and Aero (flight gear, I think? Technically clothing, but pretty niche) less so. My thinking is, if you buy a Star from John, not only will the reproduction be top notch, but it'll be reproducing an original that was top notch too.

Just my thoughts on the topic. :)
Interestingly throughout the entire thread no time a Werber contract was mentioned, although these are the ones that when rarely popping up somewhere for sale immediately are gone again. Werber to my best knowledge was also starting as company for civilian clothing (and later on changed its name to Werber Sportswear even (which you see on their later contracts) I will join this bandwagon with a Werber 33-1729, one of the earlier A-2 being produced long before WWII already (1933). I particularly like this early version for the way the waist and arm stitching are made - on the outside which gives the back a bit more straightness making it less susceptible for this 'blouse'-effect I don't favor. I know that John is in possession of an original to this contract (he bought it once from Gerry as he told me) so while beyond any doubt that John would have done a perfect recreation anyway, it is good to to know for sure.

In general I like the small difference that make some of the various contracts unique while adhering to the same military specification, like for example the centered shoulder seam under the epaulet of a Monarch or a United Sheeplined. Hope you guys will be interested in the review of my placement and I hope it will result in a slim fit. Attached are some photos to give you a better glimpse of what I meant above.

Btw.: how precise have you been when submitting your personal measures to John - I know that apart from his strong dedication to details of the respective original contracts he can tweak slightly so a most convenient fit is ensured to the client?

1624003650519.png
1624003681673.png

1624003748599.png
1624003784425.png
1624003846520.png

Brettafett

Werbers a doozy. Classic profile and something special.
Personally not a fan of complicated designs though, hookless zippers and all. And thats just me.

I think the Knopf 18246 is underrated also.
But some of these jackets/patterns work better with some body types than others. John can advise.

Last edited:

blackrat2

Doh!
Reading this thread and all the jackets mentioned just makes me realise how many of johns jackets have come and gone, fair amount to folk on this forum luckily
In hindsight I don’t think I will ever stop this craziness, I think at times the jackets have been wrong for me, or I’ve changed my mind over different colours and types of leather finish BUT, some is I think the rush of a new jacket.
There are a couple in hindsight I wish I could have kept or indeed should have kept but I am sure I am not alone.
An all things GW thread would be good, something along the lines of the original Irvin thread way back when, full of pics and info to save jumping all round the forum trying to look for specific contracts, great idea Jan

B-Man2

Cheers, Tim. Though I had more or less settled on a Star Sportwear (I wanted a non-collar stand, seal brown jacket), Mr Chapman suggested that I consider other contracts based on fit and appearance. So I am having to go to GW's website and check those contracts. Also have a look at said contracts in Mr Chapman's CD as well as in onther resources. Decisions decisions.
JC makes a couple of drop dead gorgeous DuBow contracts . If you like seal the 1755 is beautiful with it’s dark seal and faded purple knits . If you like Russet he makes a beautiful 27798 .
I know ….I’ve just added to the confusion;)

Dany McDonald

Tim and all,

It's really, really hard to read all of those positive comments on such desirable jackets about distinctive contract details made by a nice guy named John and stay reasonable!!!

Especially while looking at images on the website...

Not cool guys... ;)

Dany