• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My last A-2 (hopefully) - Good Wear

Smithy

It's all Poughkeepsie for me now. If John A-OKs it re my body shape it's a done deal.

Been looking at loads of photos of them and love the pattern, some of the best looking pocket flaps too (IMHO). There's also a pic in Bianchi's book of an original which is just jaw-droppingly beautiful.

Plus let's face it, it must be the coolest named A-2 contract. Aero? Roughwear? Star? Etc, etc...Blah.

"Poughkeepsie", now that's got a ring to it ;)

mulceber

For anyone here planning on a Rough Wear, you might want to consider the leather John used on this jacket. It's not horsehide, but it's pretty hard to distinguish cowhide from horsehide anyway, and cowhide frequently was used by Rough Wear.

John’s description of it:
We found an amazing cowhide, which is extremely similar to what Rough Wear generally used in their A-2 jackets. ELC tested an original Rough Wear 23380 and it had bovine DNA, so this is an excellent contract to use have cowhide today.

Compare photos of this jacket to an original RW 1401-P John sold recently:
front_view3.jpg

front_view3.jpg

Last edited:

P-47 thunderbolt

I personally think cowhide/steerhide is the way to go. It seems to drape better than the veg tanned horsehide out there. I think it has a more 40s accurate feel to it and can have heaps of character. This is my poughkeepsie in cowhide. A little thicker than average but still drapes as it should. Whereas a thick horsehide can be like armour
front_view2.jpg

P-47 thunderbolt

I don't think cowhide gets the credit it's due. There is cowhide that is chrome tanned and semi analine dyed which is far more ww2 accurate than a veg tanned horsehide. I'm unsure if there is chrome tanned horsehide on the market??
Myself included has put horsehide on a pedestal, but if I was ordering a goodwear (wish i could) I would 100 percent go for chrome tanned cowhide

mulceber

I'm unsure if there is chrome tanned horsehide on the market??

Maybe Shawn's. John's had some on occasion as well. Chromium tanning is virtually a dead industry in the US, Europe, Japan and Korea, because it's SO toxic for the environment. The EPA basically killed the industry in the '70s. And most of the tanneries that are still doing it (largely located in China and Pakistan) aren't interested in tanning hides that are as hard to acquire as horse.

Last edited:

mulceber

Agreed. Anyone living downstream of one of those tanneries...probably would not want to drink their tap water...or shower in it...or go swimming in any natural water sources. :oops: Those tanneries sure made some leather that draped beautifully, but modern veg-tanned stuff will probably last longer anyway.

Smithy

I personally think cowhide/steerhide is the way to go. It seems to drape better than the veg tanned horsehide out there. I think it has a more 40s accurate feel to it and can have heaps of character. This is my poughkeepsie in cowhide. A little thicker than average but still drapes as it should. Whereas a thick horsehide can be like armourView attachment 75592

Now that's nice.

I'm sold on the Poughkeepsie now. The more I read about it, it seems to be a brilliant combination of a sharp profile and yet easy to wear.

Kermit3D

I don't think cowhide gets the credit it's due. There is cowhide that is chrome tanned and semi analine dyed which is far more ww2 accurate than a veg tanned horsehide. I'm unsure if there is chrome tanned horsehide on the market??
Myself included has put horsehide on a pedestal, but if I was ordering a goodwear (wish i could) I would 100 percent go for chrome tanned cowhide

I absolutely agree with this!
I've said it many times before, but in my opinion, if you look closely at period videos, you can see the incredible flow and drape of the original A-2 jackets. They mold to the body in an incredible way, almost like a silk shirt. This is especially noticeable in the collar, which is often very stiff in modern reproductions.

I think the original jackets have become much stiffer over time, which is misleading.

The chrome tanning is extremely polluting and I still have a problem with my conscience... but I think it's an essential element to get a jacket really close to an original.

If I were to buy a new A-2 (and put my ecological sensibilities aside), then I would definitely ask John for chrome tanned leather, ideally horsehide, but cowhide sounds great.