• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My last A-2 (hopefully) - Good Wear

Brettafett

Btw Wei, I feel similarly regs my Dubows... Love the fit. Im contemplating a seal 20960 from John, similar enough, but different enough... Also the Bronco.

MaydayWei

higher arm holes and an overall trimmer fit on the Star. I like both of them a lot, but they’re very different fits. If that sounds like what you’re looking for, have at it! :)

Higher armholes and a trimmer fit? Sounds like the fit of an original G-1. The Star may be the right one after all!
Thanks for your insight, Jan; I really appreciate it! :)
Damn, I'm really falling down the rabbit hole now.

MaydayWei

Btw Wei, I feel similarly regs my Dubows... Love the fit. Im contemplating a seal 20960 from John, similar enough, but different enough... Also the Bronco.

I had thought about that; on point of fit, that sounds like a great idea.
Though, and I'm sure you already considered this, would the 20960's less strikingly 'sharp' collar bother you?
Plus, the 20960 used a Crown zipper; which I don't think JC has any more of. Even if he did, it would cost a bomb wouldn't it? I know BK charges 350 quid for that. Madness. o_O

Brettafett

I've been eyeing these puppies out for comparison...
Good Wear J.A. Dubow 20960 Type A-2 Jacket
Good Wear Bronco Mfg. Corp. A-2 Jacket
(not a fan of this leather)

Good Wear Star Sportswear A-2 Jacket

MaydayWei

Brett! Thank you so much for those links, mate!
I feel bad. You did all the research and I'm just piggybacking.
After all, we have similar physiques, though on opposite ends of the height spectrum!
Now, you've gone and done it, mate. If JC has Crown repros.... Dubow 20960 or Star...
Dubow has the better epaulets, Star has nicer pocket scalloping... :p

MaydayWei

MaydayWei

Now, apart from thread and knit color, you just need to decide leather. Seal, yes, but Horween, Shinki or Italian HH?

I might be in the minority here but... I'm thinking of going with the exact specs on the site in a unmodified size 36.
I just want a plain jane jacket that is as close to an original as possible on all those fronts.
So, besides it being in Seal with Reddish Thread, I'd like to leave all the specifics up to JC to decide.
Would that be unadvisable?

MaydayWei

Brett, I think I've got it.
Dubow 1755.
Identical fit to the 27798; dull purple knits; seal brown; thin Horween horsehide.

Smithy

Over 2 months since I started this thread and after the initial faffing around for a few days I'm still on the 27752. Can't see that changing unless John reckons it won't fit my build but I'm pretty sure he'll say it's one of the best contracts for my body shape.

Nice to see more people jumping onboard the GW wagon. Though it's a no brainer really because if you really like A-2s and want a repro - eventually after all the years of having other repros you'll almost certainly eventually want one from the master of making them.

ausreenactor

Over 2 months since I started this thread and after the initial faffing around for a few days I'm still on the 27752. Can't see that changing unless John reckons it won't fit my build but I'm pretty sure he'll say it's one of the best contracts for my body shape.

Nice to see more people jumping onboard the GW wagon. Though it's a no brainer really because if you really like A-2s and want a repro - eventually after all the years of having other repros you'll almost certainly eventually want one from the master of making them.

I still go with what I see. Have GWs here... but I saw them before I laid down the cash. Need to see that hide and colour!

Brettafett

Dubow 1755. EPIC choice Wei.

Its great throwing ideas around and seeing other's thought processes.

Im pretty set on the RW 1401 in russet, but after my last one, I will definitely only make the call once Ive seen the available leather and bits.
It makes a big difference having some actual samples in hand.