• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Masters of the Air Jackets to be sold

Pa12

You seen what they've done to Base 31 in Picton in Prince Edward County? It's been rotting into the ground since the war, and fallen down and basically a ghetto scrap pile...Now it's being turned into a huge gentrified development 10 year project almost overnight. It's a national disgrace IMHO. My grandfather met Billy Bishop at Mountainview as an Air cadet during wartime. I should find those photos for you.
Camp Borden isn’t much better.
Yes my father met billy bishop at a wings parade during training. At the London base I believe.

Dumpster D

Camp Borden isn’t much better.
Yes my father met billy bishop at a wings parade during training. At the London base I believe.

Would rather meet Billy Bishop than James Cagney. ;)

If these bases had been located in the US instead of Canada? They'd have been historified with a bronze plaque, and been looked after respectfully. Most poor little old original and vintage small towns in Ontario are like that, just waiting to be torn down now and replaced by subdivisions and Wal-mart plaza's. Ugh.

Pa12

If these bases had been located in the US instead of Canada? They'd have been historified with a bronze plaque, and been looked after respectfully. Most poor little old original and vintage small towns in Ontario are like that, just waiting to be torn down now and replaced by subdivisions and Wal-mart plaza's. Ugh.
I know. And the records are disgraceful. The only information I could find on my father was his joining up papers and discharge papers. There was more information on my grandfather from ww1.

Pa12

By the way, that movie was filmed in north bay and Ottawa. Their idea of the far north ;)

Dumpster D

By the way, that movie was filmed in north bay and Ottawa. Their idea of the far north ;)

As opposed to Wawa, or Kapuskasing?

Watch this film, highly recommend, clips of flying in firefighting equipment to the Gogama docks.

My grandfather worked for Imperial Oil, they flew him out to Tuktoyaktuk on a job once in the 60's on a twin otter, and he brought back some Seal skin mukluks for my mom and her brother, they thought those were the coolest things!!

Pa12

As opposed to Wawa, or Kapuskasing?

Watch this film, highly recommend, clips of flying in firefighting equipment to the Gogama docks.

My grandfather worked for Imperial Oil, they flew him out to Tuktoyaktuk on a job once in the 60's on a twin otter, and he brought back some Seal skin mukluks for my mom and her brother, they thought those were the coolest things!!

Tuk. THATS up north.

Dumpster D

I know. And the records are disgraceful. The only information I could find on my father was his joining up papers and discharge papers. There was more information on my grandfather from ww1.
Was talking with a friend the other day, who mentioned in the 1980's a lot of the original flight log books were destroyed, the ones that were not claimed, or kept by the men after the war that had been put in storage. What a waste.

Pa12

Was talking with a friend the other day, who mentioned in the 1980's a lot of the original flight log books were destroyed, the ones that were not claimed, or kept by the men after the war that had been put in storage. What a waste.
My dad had his logbooks and original pilots license up until a year before he died. Not sure what was going on in his head at the time but he burned them and wouldn’t say why. I remember looking at them in his den all my life. The license was a hardcover with a lace in the spine. Said “license to operate flying machine”. 1940

Pa12

It must have been kinda thrilling going up in a Twin Otter. I think there's still only one Road north of Sudbury. :oops: (I think there's two, but..) There's nothin' up there but muskeg and Caribou.

Viking aircraft bought the type certificate for the twotter from dehavilland and are building new ones.