• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Masters of the Air Jackets to be sold

Micawber

I vowed I would not comment on the production in the other dedicated thread until I had seen all the episodes but as this is a separate thread I feel unburdened by my vow. Having watched episode 6 I admit the overly stereotypical depiction of my fellow country persons increasingly irksome. Caricatures that will do nothing to educate the uneducated or enlighten those with preconceived ideas.

MauldinFan

I've confirmed that the production boxed up all the screen used jackets and other gear and props.
I'd bet a lot that they'll go to an auction. These days, producers know there's a bundle to make off auctioning such things. The days of getting such things cheaply ended once the stuff from "Titanic" went for bundles. "Saving Private Ryan" was probably the last war movie that sold off props and uniforms by bulk.

John Lever

I vowed I would not comment on the production in the other dedicated thread until I had seen all the episodes but as this is a separate thread I feel unburdened by my vow. Having watched episode 6 I admit the overly stereotypical depiction of my fellow country persons increasingly irksome. Caricatures that will do nothing to educate the uneducated or enlighten those with preconceived ideas.
Straight out of Enid Blyton

Pa12

I think that’s to be expected from a Hollywood production. People too young to really know and going on stereotypical pre conceived notions. This is why I would love to see a similar effort put into a production about bomber command.

MikeyB-17

Not the first time it’s happened in a Spielberg/Hanks production. There were uncomplimentary remarks about the British in Saving Ryan’s Privates as well. To be fair though, the conversation depicted in MOTA appears to be fairly accurate-I’ve just re-read Harry Crosby’s ‘A Wing and a Prayer’ (far closer to MOTA than the book it’s supposedly based on), and that’s pretty much how it was, according to him.

John Lever

Typical Holywood anti British but particularly anti English hate. The series lapsed into cliche so quickly, the writing is terrible. Why are we portrayed as stupid ?

Micawber

It's funny, those that know a bit about my previous life will know that I mixed and mingled with a lot of WW2 veterans, 8th & 9th USAAF, RAF, commonwealth etc. The social interaction side has always been of interest so I would invariable talk to them about how they got on together, the locals and other services and the vast majority were adamant that they managed to rub along together as they were generally engaged in a common cause. Granted there were fisticuffs and inter service rivalry on occasions but on the whole it was just young alcohol fuelled guys letting off steam and stress. So many RAF & Commonwealth airmen were not officers that it is pathetic to portray them as all ex private schoolboys with plummy accents. As to the jibes about the RAF ops - it's just plain ignorance.

Granted it is not a documentary but the production has lapsed into cliche reference the above and subsequently dropped down a few notches in my books.

Pa12

It's funny, those that know a bit about my previous life will know that I mixed and mingled with a lot of WW2 veterans, 8th & 9th USAAF, RAF, commonwealth etc. The social interaction side has always been of interest so I would invariable talk to them about how they got on together, the locals and other services and the vast majority were adamant that they managed to rub along together as they were generally engaged in a common cause. Granted there were fisticuffs and inter service rivalry on occasions but on the whole it was just young alcohol fuelled guys letting off steam and stress. So many RAF & Commonwealth airmen were not officers that it is pathetic to portray them as all ex private schoolboys with plummy accents. As to the jibes about the RAF ops - it's just plain ignorance.

Granted it is not a documentary but the production has lapsed into cliche reference the above and subsequently dropped down a few notches in my books.
My father spent 4 years in England with bomber command and said everyone he knew of got along fine. But he did say during training here in Canada in the commonwealth training program there was a fair share of “arseholes”from one nation who shall remain nameless ;)

leper-colony

My father spent 4 years in England with bomber command and said everyone he knew of got along fine. But he did say during training here in Canada in the commonwealth training program there was a fair share of “arseholes”from one nation who shall remain nameless ;)
Howdareyousir.