• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Julius

Garylafortuna

As an aside I would like to point out the important differences between slander and libel as the two are often used in the wrong context.

Libel is a written or published defamatory statement, while slander is defamation that is spoken.

Calumny sir, calumny I say.

Smithy

Whilst this might seem to be raking up muck there seems to be the odd member sticking their heads in the sand here, unwilling to face certain truths here and which belittle what has actually happened with this whole sorry saga.

But let's line all the ducks up in a row...

- Nathan's evidence (and considering he has logs from both VLJ and the Hat Place for donkey's years) points to the fact that "Julius" was either Andy from BK or at the very least somebody very close to him with all hours access to his DSL home line.

- Julius from the get-go tried to dishonestly position himself as a neutral observer with no initial statement saying he was, or was immediately aligned with, any manufacturer.

- Julius then attempted to cast serious questions about certain other companies' leathers to the point of suggesting that they were willingly and knowingly engaged in acts of unlawful subterfuge.

- This is apart from other unsavoury things which have probably not been widely reported here. For example not long after he showed up here Julius sent me a PM remonstrating me for praising GW in a thread.

This kind of crap shouldn't be accepted, fobbed off, or made excuses of in our hobby because it's underhand and is an attempt to create distrust and sow disharmony with makers and ultimately about us, the punters and enthusiasts.

I'll end on this, I'm just pleased the f#¤ker got the boot.

mulceber

Wow, I picked a bad time to check out of this thread. Last I heard, Julius was saying he was leaving. Now...well, let's just say I missed the big headlines.

I'm pretty convinced by Nathan's evidence alone. The behavior is the cherry on top. The only thing that doesn't make sense to me (and I'm not casting doubt on Julius being Andy) is why go after Headwind Mfg.? Of all the vintage repro manufacturers, they're probably the company that competes least directly with Bill Kelso: pretty much the only overlap between their catalogues is the A-1 and the G&F M422A, neither of which is a top seller for Bill Kelso. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like the more obvious people for Andy (and again, I am pretty well convinced it was Andy) to go after would be the small-operation A-2 manufacturers, like Goodwear, Five Star, and Diamond Clothing Co.

Last edited:

Officer Dibley

Wow, I picked a bad time to check out of this thread. Last I heard, Julius was saying he was leaving. Now...well, let's just say I missed the big headlines.

I'm pretty convinced by Nathan's evidence alone. The behavior is the cherry on top. The only thing that doesn't make sense to me (and I'm not casting doubt on Julius being Andy) is why go after Headwind Mfg.? Of all the vintage repro manufacturers, they're probably the company that competes least directly with Bill Kelso: pretty much the only overlap between their catalogues is the A-1 and the G&F M422A, neither of which is a top seller for Bill Kelso. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like the more obvious people for Andy (and again, I am pretty well convinced it was Andy) to go after would be the small-operation A-2 manufacturers, like Goodwear, Five Star, and Diamond Clothing Co.

You can’t apply logic to a lunatic ....

stanier

Whilst this might seem to be raking up muck there seems to be the odd member sticking their heads in the sand here, unwilling to face certain truths here and which belittle what has actually happened with this whole sorry saga.

But let's line all the ducks up in a row...

- Nathan's evidence (and considering he has logs from both VLJ and the Hat Place for donkey's years) points to the fact that "Julius" was either Andy from BK or at the very least somebody very close to him with all hours access to his DSL home line.

- Julius from the get-go tried to dishonestly position himself as a neutral observer with no initial statement saying he was, or was immediately aligned with, any manufacturer.

- Julius then attempted to cast serious questions about certain other companies' leathers to the point of suggesting that they were willingly and knowingly engaged in acts of unlawful subterfuge.

- This is apart from other unsavoury things which have probably not been widely reported here. For example not long after he showed up here Julius sent me a PM remonstrating me for praising GW in a thread.

This kind of crap shouldn't be accepted, fobbed off, or made excuses of in our hobby because it's underhand and is an attempt to create distrust and sow disharmony with makers and ultimately about us, the punters and enthusiasts.

I'll end on this, I'm just pleased the f#¤ker got the boot.

No not sticking my head in the sand, far from it, but going on the evidence in that thread which was from, my reading, cited as the trigger.

However, in that thread itself there was, and still is, nothing to my eye that warranted the banning.

As I said previously there’s history and that’s very evident now in the bits we didn’t know, but that’s separate to that thread.

All this about his username and dsl info is noise. If Julius, whether Andy or not (and I believe it is) sent unsavoury messages they should be judged unsavoury regardless and dealt with in their own right.

In that thread itself he was not rude to the point of deserving banning and we’ve gone along with worse in the past.

Now more of the detail of the history has been shared it seems to me whatever he said the pack was going to be after him. It’s just frustrating that I think there were some topics he hinted at that it would have been good to have more detail on.

Micawber

And so it continues. I really can't see continuing this discussion is serving much purpose, the deed is done and "he" is apparently gone ...for now. But I know this is just following the well worn pattern of group behaviour, a little ripple and everyone has an opinion, then those opinions are countered, then the counter opinions themselves need to be analysed and debated, little meta conversations occur, twist, turn and fade. And so it goes on like rumbles of thunder.

It's a Vic Reeves & Bob Mortimer "you wouldn't let it lie" sketch but in real life. For those not familiar with Reeves & Mortimer you are probably better off staying that way :D

Now, what about the price of spuds?