• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jacket Fade…Will it Work? ….

Chandler

There was a time (further back than 10 years) where repro flight jackets had more character to their hides.

Then people started complaining about paying a premium price for (what they perceived as) a crappy, grungy looking jacket -- so repro makers started using better-matched hides.

Then people started getting impatient trying to break in their fancy jackets and started asking for grainy, mismatched hides -- even lighter pigmented hides to have that worn look sooner than later.

My first high-end repro was my ELC RW 1401, purchased in the era of more matched hides -- I didn't ask for it that way, it's just what was being sold.

25 (+/-) years later, it's still my favorite jacket and the years have given the hide a great character -- all broken in naturally.

I have a newer ELC Star with a little more fragile finish and more original grain, but it's also starting to show some great, genuine age character.

Yeah, repro jackets have had many transitions over the decades, and probably aren't finished evolving.