• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jacket Fade…Will it Work? ….

B-Man2

I think the answer to that will be complicated, Burt, since that's the RW I sold Vic, and it was already pretty well worn when I bought it back in 2019. I think it's faded a bit since I sold it though.
Thanks Jan … I guess there are a number of factors that come into play. I’ll keep up with the “experiment” and continue to give you guys updates.

mulceber

Thanks Jan … I guess there are a number of factors that come into play. I’ll keep up with the “experiment” and continue to give you guys updates.
It might be worth wearing it for a walk the next time you get a real downpour (just don't dry it in the sun afterward, or who knows what would happen). Alternating between sun and rain seems like it would fade that jacket quickly.

Silver Surfer

yes, as jan wrote when i received the jacket from him, the fading had already begun. my leaving it out doors has hastened the process quite a bit. my guess is that within a year or so the fade will begin to be noticeable. my elc Werber is even more dramatic in terms of fading, and like the rw, it was purchased used, and had the beginnings of fading. in the years of ownership, the werber has taken on the look and characteristics of an original. its possible that both jackets were veg-aniline tanned and dyed [as per the elc claim], and thus react to the suns rays more than chrome dying. that said, I have and have had originals that were chrome dyed, and they have faded as well.

B-Man2

UPDATE
Time for another update on this thread.
So the jacket has been sitting out in the sun for about 4 hours a day since this effort started. The rest of the day is disrupted by intermittent rains as this is our rainy season down here. I just had to rescue the jacket from an intense afternoon rain storm, so I thought I post a few photos so you could see how this experiment is progressing. Any and all comments are welcome.
B6B76E0C-51AC-4BB7-9253-55C4C278E108.jpeg
5AF8F787-F56F-4B4A-B6D5-8E2CA2804685.jpeg
A3A25B6F-C867-42CE-A34D-28BAC7F1C3CB.jpeg

Chandler

Yikes! Until I enlarged the pic and saw it was beaded rain drops, I thought the hide suffered some sort of pitting!

The jacket seems to be developing some real character.

Silver Surfer

kinda reminds of the "time worn" aero that I got from elc last season. these are elc's version of a later aero contract. I was able to ask to not have the time worn treatment, since the seal colored hides wear down easily just by wearing. the hides on my jacket are all over the place from smoother to crinkly grainy, and the colors of the panels go from a mid lighter seal to a very dark seal. if it were not for the fact that I have seen and have had original aeros that looked like this, I would have had a cow when I received the jacket. though different, it is very similar to the way that Burt's aero looks. inspires me to wear it for the mut walk tonight.