• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jacket Fade…Will it Work? ….

P-47 thunderbolt

My only concern with uv light fade is the effect on the thread stitching, the UV will also be breaking down the cotton thread I suppose. However no damage occurred on mine as of yet..... plus I prefer faded thread colours

B-Man2

Burt, the first week of the experiment is over. Is there a photo of the experimental sample? Or there are no changes yet, there is nothing to show?
Dmitry
So far there have been no changes to the color of the thread or the jacket. I’ll continue to leave it out as most days here are about 35 C or 95 F and are bright and sunny. As soon as I have something to compare to the original photos I’ll post new photos .
Thanks for asking
Cheers

bseal

Dmitry
So far there have been no changes to the color of the thread or the jacket. I’ll continue to leave it out as most days here are about 35 C or 95 F and are bright and sunny. As soon as I have something to compare to the original photos I’ll post new photos .
Thanks for asking
Cheers

Wow, that was fast Burt! Looks tremendous.

CA043FC3-C4F6-484A-8C9B-8197C1379E7A.jpeg

Last edited:

B-Man2

UPDATE :
It’s been a little over two weeks now since I started this “experiment” to see if I could slowly fade this GW Acme 21996 in an effort to make it look more like a war time Aero 21996. The jacket has been left out in the Florida sunshine most of that time, moving it around from time to time so that most of the jacket gets some UV exposure.
The days down here have been very hot in the 95F / 35C range with very intense sun shine. So while it hasn’t been very long since this “experiment” started, there have been some mild changes in the color of the hide. The photos are taken outside and the sunlight gives the jacket a reddish appearance, however if you compare the inside photo of the jacket you will see that the jacket has more of a cordovan color. So here we go.
9C7931CB-0C77-493C-8E7C-FA2C7D58CC90.jpeg

Outdoor
512CD297-6CE6-4EA6-A507-9B6166CF4F0C.jpeg

Indoor

5841756C-27B1-4D35-B243-D3E125ADEB87.jpeg

One of the first areas that I noticed a lightening of was the collar fold . It has lightened up around the neckline .
BC7793E6-6E53-4CA4-904C-8973AB282AAE.jpeg
A9B0D666-EEEB-4F33-BE0D-E686FB6CBF66.jpeg

The back panels of both sleeves have noticeable lightening in color.

3DECE66A-99DF-460E-AE78-F02A74491B72.jpeg

9184310B-E0FD-42FF-9081-86FF07ABA618.jpeg

The left chest panel has had some lightening of color as well .
So this is the result so far. I’ll continue to leave the jacket exposed to the UV rays and wear it when possible. I just returned from a trip to the mountains where the jacket got some wear during the cool evenings. It was great!
Ok that’s it for now. I’ll have another update posted in about a week.
Cheers

Last edited:

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

That is an interesting experiment Burt. However, I think the way to achieve the desired effect you would need to add some kind of oil to duplicate the body oil from wearing and handling the jacket under regular wear circumstances. I think with that you will get the results but at the same time I myself would be a bit worried to put oils on it. Normally the first place to see the changes would be the collar since it naturally gets oiled even after a couple times wearing the jacket. I guess the fact of living in FL really doesn't help.

B-Man2

That is an interesting experiment Burt. However, I think the way to achieve the desired effect you would need to add some kind of oil to duplicate the body oil from wearing and handling the jacket under regular wear circumstances. I think with that you will get the results but at the same time I myself would be a bit worried to put oils on it. Normally the first place to see the changes would be the collar since it naturally gets oiled even after a couple times wearing the jacket. I guess the fact of living in FL really doesn't help.
Thanks Jorge …. I’ll keep this in mind .

Silver Surfer

from the pix above, I don't see any diff. interesting, as I have left my elc rw in the sun since I got it from jan, and there is a decided diff in coloration between the covered areas [under pocket flap, and behind and under the back collar], and the sun exposed areas.....also, the upper back liner area that has be been exposed to the sun has lightened in color as well. there seems to be a little bit of color change in the knits, also. pix in the next few days.

B-Man2

from the pix above, I don't see any diff. interesting, as I have left my elc rw in the sun since I got it from jan, and there is a decided diff in coloration between the covered areas [under pocket flap, and behind and under the back collar], and the sun exposed areas.....also, the upper back liner area that has be been exposed to the sun has lightened in color as well. there seems to be a little bit of color change in the knits, also. pix in the next few days.
Vic
What about the photo of the back of the arm panel Vs the inside pocket flap?

mulceber

I think the answer to that will be complicated, Burt, since that's the RW I sold Vic, and it was already pretty well worn when I bought it back in 2019. I think it's faded a bit since I sold it though.