• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ja Dubow 27798 (Platon) A-2 jacket review and pics

Greg Gale

I felt sad parting with this jacket but it makes me really happy seeing these pictures, knowing that it went to the right owner, someone who appreciates it. And also, it fits you much better than it fit me, it's as if it was tailor made for you. Just perfect. I'm the same weight, same chest, but 5 cm taller, so while it felt a tad short for me, it's really spot on when you're wearing it. Now enjoy, and wear the heck out of it :)

I'm really surprised that it's lighter than the Star, it felt heavier to me. Or maybe just the thickness of the leather?

Flightengineer

I felt sad parting with this jacket but it makes me really happy seeing these pictures, knowing that it went to the right owner, someone who appreciates it. And also, it fits you much better than it fit me, it's as if it was tailor made for you. Just perfect. I'm the same weight, same chest, but 5 cm taller, so while it felt a tad short for me, it's really spot on when you're wearing it. Now enjoy, and wear the heck out of it :)

I'm really surprised that it's lighter than the Star, it felt heavier to me. Or maybe just the thickness of the leather?

Greg, thanks. As I already said, it was a pleasure for me to do business with you and I was pleased to buy a jacket from you as a guy who also knows how to fly and gave this baby to fly.
No need to regret - I'm absolutely convinced that your new A2 fits you better than this Dubow cause of your height.
As for the weight - I have already tried several times with the fact that the ELC Warhorse, despite the same beautiful texture, differs in weight. For someone it is heavier (probably because of the thickness), for someone it is lighter, and someone here wrote that it was thin as paper. Probably depends on the year and the batch of leather. As Kevin from ELC told me, my jacket was made in November 2014. Maybe yours was made later.

London Cabbie

Absolutely awesome. Looks brilliant.
Really strange, both my Dubow felt REALLY flimsy when I first got them. My seal which has become shaped to my body now feels really robust...? The Russet which hasn’t been worn still feels a bit flimsy. Not a problem at all, just an observation or am I imagining it...?

Flightengineer

Absolutely awesome. Looks brilliant.
Really strange, both my Dubow felt REALLY flimsy when I first got them. My seal which has become shaped to my body now feels really robust...? The Russet which hasn’t been worn still feels a bit flimsy. Not a problem at all, just an observation or am I imagining it...?

Thank you all again.
Cabby, to be honest about toughness/robust, you know better as owner with more expiriense. The jacket that I have is soft as butter its doesn't feel flimsy for my taste and I like it.

London Cabbie

Thank you all again.
Cabby, to be honest about toughness/robust, you know better as owner with more expiriense. The jacket that I have is soft as butter its doesn't feel flimsy for my taste and I like it.
Me too.
I think what I was trying to say is before it’s conformed to my body shape it felt draped rather than fitted. Flimsy was the wrong word. The leather weight is perfect robust thickness and extremely comfortable.
just wanted to clarify...

ausreenactor

Hi, much has been written here about Platon Dubow A2, especially nice Brett's review. So it makes no sense to describe fine leather, great knitting, etc. You have seen all this many times here and the jacket needs no introduction.

Yesterday I finally joined the Dubow's Club too, so at the request of the members, I'm publishing some quick fit pics from phone.

Some impressions and pre-history.

For a long time I wanted A2 under which I could comfortably wear not only a T-shirt or shirt, but also a sweater on cool days. With my lovely Eastman Star in size 40 I can only wear one thin layer comfortably. It fits like a second skin, but if I'm wearing a sweater or turtleneck it is a little tight.
Therefore Dubow in size 42 is salvation in this situation as excellent bit larger A2.

For almost six months without flying (apparently due to the lack of not very healthy onboard catering and living at home with family) I lost a little weight and now my exact parameters are as follows: weight 76.5 kg (168,65 lb), height 180 cm (5 ′ 10") and chest 100 cm (39.4"). Slim build without a belly.

Dubow is very comfortable, everyone knows his lower armholes and it really is. I love this jacket from first try on.

Few words about comparison.

My ELC Star weighs 1540 g (I have an accurate electronic scale), and Dubow, which is in larger size but lighter - 1320 g . And it's good surprise for me too.
I also discovered an effect I called the "comfort extra 2 cm effect" :)
The Star for 3 years of active wearing took the shape of my body, stretched here and there, and when compared with the new Dubow, Dubow differs everywhere by 2 cm (3/4 inch). It is wider than my Star by 2 cm in pit to pit, wider by 2 cm at the shoulders. And 2 cm shorter at the back. So this proved to be enough to obtain ideal comfort for me.

Dubow is perhaps the most comfortable A2 of all that I have ever had. I am waiting for the warmth to start wearing it actively.

Once again, I would like to thank all the members who have published numerous photos of this jacket here. Friends, your pictures inspired me to make the right choice. I'm very happy with the purchase.

Looks impressive, as you say in your review. You know the moment you put it on...enjoy!

Brettafett

Had a few guys asking about how my jacket has been developing over the last couple of years.
So here are some pics.
I wear it often enough, but do try to cycle through my A-2s so they all get some wear... Been in a bit of rain at times, snow, but otherwise just normal wear.
The jacket is looking amazing, gorgeous grain popping out, some high point rubbing (beginning of some patina), the knits are still taught - all naturally.
I love how there are some slight mismatched panels, some smoother, others with more character.
My only regret with this jacket is that I did not grab a russet at the same time.
JaDubow 1.jpg

JaDubow 2.jpg

JaDubow 4.jpg

JaDubow 3.jpg

IMG_20210226_134505828.jpg

IMG_20210226_134645235.jpg

IMG_20210226_135000211.jpg

IMG_20210226_134747770.jpg

Flightengineer

Brett, thanks for these photos. I was "one of those guys" who asked for :) . This is a gorgeous and very beautiful jacket that develops great character. I'm kind of looking into the future of my jacket, thank you for that.
I hope that soon (well, not so soon) it will be warm here too and I can wear my Dubow outthere.

ausreenactor

Some of the pics show a 'russet' look to the hide.. Have you done anything to those wear points? Polish or conditioner?Or is that as they have worn?