• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ja Dubow 27798 (Platon) A-2 jacket review and pics

CBI

Well, I emailed to ask about wait times just so I have an idea. These jackets seem like the best buy for the $ for a rather fine quality and look. I just had an offer to buy a new never worn Eastman at a great price but its still more than I want to spend, the Eastman hide is beautiful!!!!! ......... but really doesn't look like any WW2 hide I have seen, just too pretty so it got me wondering about one of these Dubows. The only issue for me is that they are a bit pouchy. I wish they were trimmer in the waist but that IS a Dubow trait.

Brettafett

Here with one of Sean Collin's 'printed' squadron patches. Pretty snazzy!
P1260025.JPG

And a little wear developing on the sleeve (not orange in real light)... Can easily see the variation in grain also.
P1260030.JPG

Last edited:

B-Man2

They look pretty nice and really good for the money , damned if I can figure out why he dumped the size 48s, other than the larger sizes require too much horsehide and he’s loosing money on them.

Brettafett

Yeah, I saw that pic when I uploaded and thought, "hell, that looks orange! Why..."
I plan on taking some better pics sometime and updating my original post. There are not many spots wearing the top layer off, but those that are, is a mid russet brown colour.

Pilot

Yeah, I saw that pic when I uploaded and thought, "hell, that looks orange! Why..."
I plan on taking some better pics sometime and updating my original post. There are not many spots wearing the top layer off, but those that are, is a mid russet brown colour.
Thats the way it should be...
Nice aging ... impressive.

saucerfiend

They look pretty nice and really good for the money , damned if I can figure out why he dumped the size 48s, other than the larger sizes require too much horsehide and he’s loosing money on them.

The scale he's using was surely formulated about the time of WW2. These would certainly fit most flyers then. But, as he says, there were exceptions. They didn't account for wider shoulders or wider upper backs, which is just as important as you know. Check out the link to GW site and look at the guys in the top row. That scale sure didn't account for them. Click on the picture to supersize it. Then scan the top row from right to left. It's clear that contract design limited comfort. Remember what JC says and we all know, that certain contracts don't fit some body types as shown in the top row of this pic. The guy handing out the A-2's sure didn't think about contract design... just the size. At least we have the knowledge to choose wisely when ordering a high end A-2 from a premium seller like Good Wear and others.
This is why Platon needs to include size 48.
http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/vintage_photos/Victorville_1943_AClass.jpg

Brian

Last edited:

blackrat2

Not sure it’s just back row but check out the front, as discussed here before sizing was all over the place
Just a thought, I assume the new crew got what was handed to them, would there have been a way of returning and exchanging kit, possibly when there wasn’t a whole gaggle of crew at the stores??,anyone here offer any thoughts on this?

Brettafett

I recall reading in one of my books (I think I mentioned this previously), about a pilot who loved his leather A-2 flight jacket. At some point, possibly before transferring overseas, he had to go to the Quartermaster and hand it in for another one. He said he loved his jacket, it was so comfortable and soft, but he hated the new one which felt stiff and hard to wear, but what could he do. Something to that effect. I always remembered this insight, because it shows that these guys clearly had thoughts and feelings about their gear, maybe not as much as we do now.
* I doubt they had much say though, unless they were very high up the pecking order.

KariJ

I recall reading in one of my books (I think I mentioned this previously), about a pilot who loved his leather A-2 flight jacket. At some point, possibly before transferring overseas, he had to go to the Quartermaster and hand it in for another one. He said he loved his jacket, it was so comfortable and soft, but he hated the new one which felt stiff and hard to wear, but what could he do. Something to that effect. I always remembered this insight, because it shows that these guys clearly had thoughts and feelings about their gear, maybe not as much as we do now.
* I doubt they had much say though, unless they were very high up the pecking order.
I have avoided this situation when I seldom have found that some issue item is a keeper like just filling a testimony "issue item nro xxx.xxx.xxx" was stolen or destroyed. We arranged measures to find it without no help to solve the case".

Then 2x names of your friends "who have been takin parth the best they can in searching process" After 2 weeks the decision on GWT DPT: "Concidering the price of a garnment and effort used to find stolen property it would be unbearable for an individual to bear a refund price of a new issue item price of xxx euros" :)

Maybe nowadays in SAP world this would not be so easy .

Smithy

He's probably the exception rather than the rule. I think for the most part whilst there was a pride in wearing these things, for most airmen this seems to have come not from the objects themselves but rather the pride of the service attachment it showed, probably in much the same way as divisional and regimental flashes for infantry, artillery, armoured, etc. Your A-2 showed you were an airmen, and that was the big thing. I'd wager that most of them at the time couldn't tell you without looking and reading the label who made their A-2 and none of them gave a flying firetruck what colour it was, if one of the pockets was wonky, if it had a coffee stain down the front, etc, etc. All the airmen I have known and have spoken to about their flying kit didn't really think much more of it than it was working gear - tools to get the job done. However unsurprisingly every single one had held onto his dress uniform and that is where the real sense of pride was manifested. To be expected really, it showed his service, his formation attachment, his rank, his awards and campaign medals - this is the manifestation of his military career.

We love these jackets but I think that because of this we bestow an importance on them that goes far beyond what the men who actually wore them felt.