• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ja Dubow 27798 (Platon) A-2 jacket review and pics

London Cabbie

I posted this the other day, but will repost it here.
Really enjoying the breaking in...just feels better every time I wear it.
8EFB38CB-F6EA-454C-81B4-C191BEFC35A3.jpeg

Technonut2112

Hmmmm. Just a thought, but how far-fetched would it be for a single machine-operator being responsible for that collar type during the contract run? Come to think of it, I can only recall seeing original 27798's in russet with collar tips like this, not seal, and Platon's original patterned from is indeed russet.... Perhaps a single machine-operator is responsible for all of these collar abnormalities, and only during a particular run of 27798's in russet.

Damn! I'm going to be looking hard for a similar original 27798 collar in seal now... LOL! o_O :D

mulceber

Seems very possible to me. Would this be the person cutting the leather, or the person constructing the jacket? My only problem with all this is why would that single machine operator only be working on russet leather?

Technonut2112

Seems very possible to me. Would this be the person cutting the leather, or the person constructing the jacket? My only problem with all this is why would that single machine operator only be working on russet leather?

One would need to know the factory schedule, shift / worker's, and hide colors being used during a particular time-span... Perhaps the machine-operator was temporary, or came-down ill, OR was fired for not getting the damn collar points 'right'. Seems kind of far-fetched at that, but I'm still going to have my eyes-peeled for that collar type in seal, and try to finally get my $$ together for a russet... :p

mulceber

Aesthetic, I'm sure. Although really, there are a LOT of variations in collar shapes across A-2 contracts, many of them as "out there" as the Dubow, or more. Check out the Doniger, for example. The Perry contracts, meanwhile, always have an uneven collar. There were a lot of variations.

Brettafett

Each maker had their own 'take' on their patterns. Basic guidelines and requirements were given, there was a war on and 1000s of new pilots being brought into the system. "We need jackets! And now!"
Interesting, as far as Dubow is concerned, they had an earlier contract with a collar stand (20960), as did many other pre and early war A-2 makers, this was one of the design details most makers dropped as the war drew on. Likely to save material, money and time.
These are what makes this all so interesting. Different contracts, different makers, different approaches to the same basic requirement.

ausreenactor

Always thought Doniger collars were too far from the 'standard'; however, they grow on you.

Interesting to read that particular machinists could have introduced their own variations to the 'patterns'. Makes sense.

Skip

A lot of it has to do with the neck hole as well, but I do love a Dubow swoop in a collar.

Interestingly though, when the collars up it doesn’t appear (feel) to sit as high as a Werber, which has a smaller neck hole and thereby hugs your neck a little more closely

Greg Gale

I got my Dubow, wore it for 1 hour on and off to try it on. Here's what I think:

The leather is supple, more supple than my ELC Star, but also thicker a bit. The color is lighter, more matte and less saturated with less red hue than my old jacket. It looks more authentic, more like what I've seen on photos.

The knits are thicker, much sturdier, better quality. I didn't like how red they were on some photos, but in real life they are not red at all, ony very slightly reddish.

The fit: it's a 42, and I'm a tall 40. Surprisingly it fits more like a larger size 40. I couldn't have gone with a 44 for sure. It's already quite a roomy fit, but still period correct based on photos. Doesn't feel like a bag at all. More comfy than the Star, more room in the torso and the sleeves, also the shoulders are a bit wider, fits me spot on. The collar looks even more stylish than the Star. The sleeve length is spot on, maybe slightly even longer than my Star, right where I want it to be. Curious how much it will shorten with time and whether it will become too short eventually. The narrower back panel feels a bit restrictive, but I guess it will stretch in no time.

The olny downside is that it's a bit short in the torso. Nothing dramatic, I've only tried it with low pants and haven't worn anything like this for a year, so it may be that too. I don't have my Star here to compare.

I still haven't decided which one will be the keeper, but right now I think the shortness of the torso is still better than the Star being snug overall especially in the sleeves. I'll wear it for a while and see how it develops.

I'll try to take some proper fit pics.

Flightengineer

I got my Dubow, wore it for 1 hour on and off to try it on. Here's what I think:

The leather is supple, more supple than my ELC Star, but also thicker a bit. The color is lighter, more matte and less saturated with less red hue than my old jacket. It looks more authentic, more like what I've seen on photos.

The knits are thicker, much sturdier, better quality. I didn't like how red they were on some photos, but in real life they are not red at all, ony very slightly reddish.

The fit: it's a 42, and I'm a tall 40. Surprisingly it fits more like a larger size 40. I couldn't have gone with a 44 for sure. It's already quite a roomy fit, but still period correct based on photos. Doesn't feel like a bag at all. More comfy than the Star, more room in the torso and the sleeves, also the shoulders are a bit wider, fits me spot on. The collar looks even more stylish than the Star. The sleeve length is spot on, maybe slightly even longer than my Star, right where I want it to be. Curious how much it will shorten with time and whether it will become too short eventually. The narrower back panel feels a bit restrictive, but I guess it will stretch in no time.

The olny downside is that it's a bit short in the torso. Nothing dramatic, I've only tried it with low pants and haven't worn anything like this for a year, so it may be that too. I don't have my Star here to compare.

I still haven't decided which one will be the keeper, but right now I think the shortness of the torso is still better than the Star being snug overall especially in the sleeves. I'll wear it for a while and see how it develops.

I'll try to take some proper fit pics.

Platon made very nice jacket for sure.
About Star...Greg, last October I wore my Star several times with a thick sweater and after that the leather little stretched here and there and now there is not the slightest discomfort, this jacket fits just perfect, I can wear it all day zipped and not feel that it uncomfortable in shoulders or somwere else. Now it fits not like 40, but rather like 41 :) and more and more looks like original.After that, I stopped thinking about searching another A2s and if I buy another one sometime it will be the original only.
All this I wrote only to the fact that if you do the same thing with your Star, then it will also fit you no worse than this beautiful Dubow.
And you will have 2 comfortable jackets;)

Greg Gale

A last walk before the lockdown in my new Dubow. Slightly large in the torso but still period correct and quite comfy. Ahoulders and sleeve length are perfect. It’s just a bit on the short side for my 6 foot height and regular pants. A 44 would have been 1/2 inch longer and much baggier. I’m gonna wear it a bit and see if I can get used to the length or it will bother me.

5A4F6CE6-D1EF-4E48-8C39-881E36161338.jpeg