• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gary Eastman's A2 Book is out

CBI

A2, its not $70, its $110 plus shipping!. Seeing as its the only comprehensive book, I can see why many would want it. I might but it...................

Roughwear

Looking at the preview pages it seems as if this book will answer some of the questions posed here, such as the exact date of contracts, the size of each contract and provide the contract and matching order number. For example Gary says that the RW 1401-P contract was awarded on 8th August 1941 for 30,000 jackets at a cost of $8.28 per jacket.

a2jacketpatches

CBI said:
A2, its not $70, its $110 plus shipping!. Seeing as its the only comprehensive book, I can see why many would want it. I might but it...................
Well since the real jackets are so rare and expensive these days that I can only collect info and pictures, still not too bad. I might wait to see a better review of the book once someone actually has one and flips through it. I'm more interested in the photos as opposed to contract details, but i'm guessing there something for everyone here.

Roughwear

I have not found any reviews of this book yet, only pre-publication advertising. Judging by the sample pages it will contain pics of every A2 contract along with all the technical/historical information. I hope there is a chapter(s) on the history of the A2, along with information on their production.

CBI

I am sure it will be good. I am just no used to paying over $100 for a book, any book. I think the sticker shock is wearing off me now.

ausreenactor

Check these prices out then! I searched for nine years to find one copy...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used

A good reference book usually is over $100 down here, due to shipping etc.. The size of this one helps with the shipping..

I paid on average $150 for the Maquire books in Australia.. I concede there are lots of pages.. I think I will grab a copy of
the Eastman book. When I head overseas I will ship it forward to someone who wants to take a look? I am sure someone
would be happy paying for the postage for a peek...

Couchy

CBI

Maquire books for me never ran over $50, even the newest one and all of my WW2 reference books have all been no higher than this. I guess I have been able to get much better deals.

Peter Graham

As I've said before, I doubt that there is much information in the book that's not available for free on this forum. I can think of better things to spend £70 on.

a2jacketpatches

Roughwear said:
I have not found any reviews of this book yet, only pre-publication advertising. Judging by the sample pages it will contain pics of every A2 contract along with all the technical/historical information. I hope there is a chapter(s) on the history of the A2, along with information on their production.
I mean that so far I'm hearing only contract info concerning dates and Qty made, that kind of thing. Interesting to a lot of you guys and even a little to me. But if someone buys it and says "lots of good patches and paint" I'm all over it. I heard Gary has a lot of jackets and a lot of them are likely decorated.

Andrew

I'm a bit like you A-2, if it's full of shots of beautiful old and rare jackets then i'll probably do it as well after seeing the early adopters reviews. I'd love to hear some never before discussed history on the design and manufacture. The nuts, bolts, stitchcounts, spec details and numbers don't really interest me but I can see that this would appeal to the diehards so I hope that it's a good balance of eye candy and detail. I'd like to think it could be a book i'd just enjoy having on the shelf like the first to Maguires. I really think he missed the mark with the third and I could easily do without that one.

I really do hope that it doesn't contain any advertising for the Company, being a well made book by Gary ought to be enough to send custom to the shop, and that it doesn't come across as one big ad like that DVD they put out a few years ago.

Marv

I think I will pick one up as a early christmas present to myself, shame I can't be in London for the book launch/signing as it would be great to meet up and see some old faces again but it's just a bit too far to travel down I'm afraid.

269sqnhudson

I'll be going...in a House of Fraser duffel coat probably :( ...alas I have no A2s currently. I'm on a repro Tanker binge at the moment.

flyboy

I think it looks absolutely smashing - even if I am that much into A2's, I would seriously think about it as a nice Xmas present for myself.

A

Anonymous

I 'd buy one secondhand.
Sell me yours when your 're done with it.

colekwok

Marv said:
I think I will pick one up as a early christmas present to myself, shame I can't be in London for the book launch/signing as it would be great to meet up and see some old faces again but it's just a bit too far to travel down I'm afraid.

Too bad, I am also flying out on the 6th..... Otherwise I would really want to go.

flyboy

PLATON said:
I 'd buy one secondhand.
Sell me yours when your 're done with it.

Only problem is that you are only "done wit it" if it either gets outdated - or is really bad. ;)