• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FiveStar Leather Reproduction J.A. DUBOW MFG CO. A2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brettafett

Shawn, you have done an amazing job! All things considered....

One point, the waistband, just make sure its the correct height (it looks slightly shorter than the original) and not too loose.

Can you see on the original how the leather is bunched up a bit at the back, and creases form? If you tighten the knit slightly, this will happen naturally.

Brettafett

Some small details Shawn...

Look at the box stitching on epaulets. Yours are a bit rectangular. Should be more 'square'...
[EDIT: Your jacket is correct here. Please ignore the above]
DSC_5884.JPG
Heres the waistband knit again. I think it needs to be a bit wider... And judging by the pics, a little bit tighter.
DSC_5883.JPG
This may be a niggle, but Im just asking... The armhole looks quite wide?
DSC_5885.JPG
Again, just checking... Are the collar snaps in the correct place?
DSC_5891.JPG
May as well get it extra perfect, you've come this far.

Last edited:

mulceber

I generally agree with you Brett, but on the epaulets, I think Shawn actually has it right, and the original he's copying has x-box stitching that's atypical of the Dubows. Compare this original:

Enola Gay tail gunner goat? A-2.jpeg

And this one:
IMG_1948.JPG

Also, looking closely at your pictures, I notice the collar hooks are mounted a little closer to the zipper than on the original. That might be worth fixing too.

Brettafett

Absolutely agree Jan.

Busy multitasking and going by his pics.

You know, this is a great example of variation among originals of the same contract.

JimO

One point, the waistband, just make sure its the correct height (it looks slightly shorter than the original) and not too loose.

Can you see on the original how the leather is bunched up a bit at the back, and creases form? If you tighten the knit slightly, this will happen naturally.

This was one of my major beefs with one of the previous jackets that Shawn had made for me (the Werber). If he tightens up the waistband, it will look & fit even better.

mulceber

Looks like he got the tightness of the knits right too - from my understanding, the Dubows frequently had loose knits, which made for very little blousing.

Status
Not open for further replies.