• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FiveStar Leather Reproduction J.A. DUBOW MFG CO. A2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mulceber

Can't recall where I heard it, but it's reflected if you check through pics of some of the Dubows JC has made, you'll see what I'm talking about - some of them have the tighter knits and more blousing, others very little.

mulceber

I just checked on JC's CD of originals, and about half of the original Dubows he shows have loose knits. I hope he won't mind me posting some evidence.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 7.18.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 7.18.27 PM.png
    497 KB · Views: 322
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 7.18.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 7.18.36 PM.png
    671.3 KB · Views: 310
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 7.18.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 7.18.47 PM.png
    505.3 KB · Views: 322
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 7.19.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 7.19.03 PM.png
    527.2 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:

Flightengineer

Did the real Dubow have a belt slightly wider than the cuffs? Visually, when you look at the photo of the preserved originals, it seems a little wider than on this repro.

Juanito

Hi Dear Friends

I hope that all of you are fine and doing good, Well after weeks of working on the Dubow patterns finally today we have some results to share with you, I will welcome the suggestions from members here,
Regarding The Zipper as this contract was made also with Talon zipper so we used this, Regarding Leather we made a special Tanned Goatskin Leather in Russet like the Original Jacket we also have Plans to make this in Horsehide Leather in coming months.
Please find some below images for your review
View attachment 46984
We used 100% Wool Knits made in USA for our Dubow Jacket, we have these knits available in two colors Seal Brown this jacket have and Russet Brown
View attachment 46985
View attachment 46986View attachment 46987View attachment 46988View attachment 46989View attachment 46990View attachment 46991View attachment 46992View attachment 46993

I will wait for your comments and suggestions

Best Regards

Shawn
My only comment would be that the collar points on the repro look further apart than the original, akin to a spread spread on a dress shirt. Now it may be a trick of the eye due to the way the jacket if laying, but it looks wider with a larger angle to me.

Brettafett

Generally, Dull 'purple' knits or mid brown.
I have seen an original seal Dubow (not sure the contract number) with a darker brown (seal) knit, but this could have been a period replacement. It looked legit.

I think the apparent 'looseness' of some original jackets' knits, must be due to age/ wear & tear. Consider, if you wear your A-2 in the rain a few times and it get really wet, then the knits generally loosen up (at least that been my experience every time).
During the war, even into Korea, these guys were in it rain or shine.

So today, a repro maker takes an original and tries to copy it exactly, they'll often mimic all the quirks, incl the knit.

mulceber

I think the apparent 'looseness' of some original jackets' knits, must be due to age/ wear & tear. Consider, if you wear your A-2 in the rain a few times and it get really wet, then the knits generally loosen up (at least that been my experience every time).
During the war, even into Korea, these guys were in it rain or shine.

I considered that possibility and checked out all the other jackets on John's CD. There were some that had loose knits as well, but not at anywhere near the rates of the Dubows. My conclusion is that Dubow Mfg. was just inconsistent in how they installed the knits. Either that or they were using knits made of lower quality wool that were especially prone to stretching. Either way, while I think you and I both prefer tight knits, and we can very easily ask Shawn to make the knits on our jackets tighter, it isn't really accurate to say that Shawn's doing the knits wrong. He's reproducing a detail that is commonly seen on originals.

Grant

I agree with Brett. It depends how much wear a Dubow saw in it's almost 80 year life (kinda like us humans!). Here's a very well preserved Dubow from my collection. Except for some moth nips, knits are far from loose. FWIW, of all the original Dubows I've handled over the years, loose knits was not a common theme. Just my opinion!

Dub.jpg

mulceber

That’s fair - and I’m not saying that tight knits are inaccurate. From what I can see knit tightness on Dubows was all over the place.

Kennyz

Extremely nice Shawn!

Ken

Hi Dear Friends

I hope that all of you are fine and doing good, Well after weeks of working on the Dubow patterns finally today we have some results to share with you, I will welcome the suggestions from members here,
Regarding The Zipper as this contract was made also with Talon zipper so we used this, Regarding Leather we made a special Tanned Goatskin Leather in Russet like the Original Jacket we also have Plans to make this in Horsehide Leather in coming months.
Please find some below images for your review
View attachment 46984
We used 100% Wool Knits made in USA for our Dubow Jacket, we have these knits available in two colors Seal Brown this jacket have and Russet Brown
View attachment 46985
View attachment 46986View attachment 46987View attachment 46988View attachment 46989View attachment 46990View attachment 46991View attachment 46992View attachment 46993

I will wait for your comments and suggestions

Best Regards

Shawn

stanier

Guys, if you look at the pics of the Five Star jacket and the original Dubow's and you really think the Five Star jacket is a worthy Dubow replica then buy and enjoy in good health.

Status
Not open for further replies.