• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC New Repro Talon

colekwok

I am not trying to stiff up another bashing thread, but I would expect ELC to be a bit clearer.
For your information, I am wearing an ELC A-2 today.

They had been offering NOS Talon for the Star Sport contract for years, so anyone how have
been following them would assume that the NOS offer remains the same. Another point is, the price
difference between the ELC house A-2 HH and the Star A-2 is a stark £150 difference, if the jacket
comes with NOS Talon, it would justify the higher price you'll have to pay. It now seems that the prices of
those 'Original makers" series jackets have further been increased without marking the price up.

I think this thread serves more as information for people who want to make better choices.
That was part of the reasons why I joined this forum.

ButteMT61

colekwok said:
...I think this thread serves more as information for people who want to make better choices.
That was part of the reasons why I joined this forum.

Bravo. Indeed.

SuinBruin

ButteMT61 said:
Every maker (with the possible exception of GW) has been the "target" of discussion.
Good Wear has drawn fire on the forum too, especially in its early days. As John got better, so did his products, and many of his early critics became fans. But there are still some who will take potshots at Good Wear from time to time.

To be clear, no maker is above honest criticism for their products or business practices. I don't mind ELC using repro zips on their jackets, as long as it's not done misleadingly. (What is interesting to me, though, is that the switch from NOS Talons to repro Talons should have dropped the price for an ELC A-2, but apparently did not. Make of that what you will.)

Hawkeye

SuinBruin said:
(What is interesting to me, though, is that the switch from NOS Talons to repro Talons should have dropped the price for an ELC A-2, but apparently did not. Make of that what you will.)

Not necessarily. The cost to buy or replicate these new repro Talons could be the same or more than what ELC paid for the NOS zips originally.

SuinBruin

Hawkeye said:
SuinBruin said:
(What is interesting to me, though, is that the switch from NOS Talons to repro Talons should have dropped the price for an ELC A-2, but apparently did not. Make of that what you will.)

Not necessarily. The cost to buy or replicate these new repro Talons could be the same or more than what ELC paid for the NOS zips originally.
The price of a NOS Talon isn't set by what ELC paid, it's set by supply and demand (unless you think ELC is willing to leave obvious profit on the table, which somehow I doubt). All things being equal, a NOS Talon is always going to cost more than a repro. Otherwise, why bother making the repros in the first place?

ausreenactor

Hawkeye said:
SuinBruin said:

I don't think anything on the planet ever went down in price. Less for more is the ethos now.. NOS will just put the price up across the board. 'Irregardless' of the price paid to put in the drawer ten years ago..

Couchy

John Lever

SuinBruin said:
ButteMT61 said:
Every maker (with the possible exception of GW) has been the "target" of discussion.
Good Wear has drawn fire on the forum too, especially in its early days. As John got better, so did his products, and many of his early critics became fans. But there are still some who will take potshots at Good Wear from time to time.

To be clear, no maker is above honest criticism for their products or business practices. I don't mind ELC using repro zips on their jackets, as long as it's not done misleadingly. (What is interesting to me, though, is that the switch from NOS Talons to repro Talons should have dropped the price for an ELC A-2, but apparently did not. Make of that what you will.)
This forum is slowly edging towards being The Goodwear forum. No other maker it seems can be tolerated if they are perceived to be a threat by a small group of 'supporters' to John. Members who were once regulars have drifted away because it has become so partisan. Two very longstanding members pm'd me last week to say they stop posting and I can understand why,

SuinBruin

John Lever said:
SuinBruin said:
ButteMT61 said:

This forum is slowly edging towards being The Goodwear forum. No other maker it seems can be tolerated if they are perceived to be a threat by a small group of 'supporters' to John. Members who were once regulars have drifted away because it has become so partisan. Two very longstanding members pm'd me last week to say they stop posting and I can understand why,
I can see that, somewhat, but I don't think it's as bad as you're making out. New jacket makers like Jon and Mark and BK have been warmly welcomed into the fold, and plenty of people are still talking about (and talking up) their Aeros and ELCs. This is particularly true of jackets that GW isn't making -- shearlings, cloth, nylon, etc. People will have their favorites, obviously, and talking about them (even debating them) is part of the fun.

People's interest in the hobby wax and wane. Other folks who are overly partisan tend to weed themselves out (witness Rotenhahn). Otherwise I think it's more the ordinary comings and goings on an internet forum rather than favoritism towards any particular maker.

havocpaul

I agree with John's comments in particular, I have thought about just moving on as the forum has too often become biased and to be honest, that thread that started about ELC and Aero's VAT charges became totally unacceptable in some of the subsequent comments, I feel in the past it might have been nipped in the bud by the moderators. Fair criticism is absolutely fine but recently the forum has gone way too far with 'attacks' becoming personal. Running with the pack is not a good thing. As for this thread, I still say nothing was misleading about the zips, maybe Eastman are to be 'punished' for running out of NOS Talons in some people's opinion, as for decreasing the price (!?), why??? Other repro makers have usually charged extra for NOS zips, Eastman fitted them as standard on many of their jackets, maybe they made the mistake of not charging extra and match their competitors in the first place.

Marv

Just to add, I purchased a ELC RW 27752 back in March 2011 and it had the NOS Talon zipper installed then so not sure when they decided to switch.

bseal

Just to be fair I will start bashing GW. Down with Good Wear Leather Coat Company. Ok done, now back to smiting the others.

Dr H

Won't be a single one left in the Farnham area if John L gets that striped grizzly pattern off the drawing board!

Otter

No, it's pandas for the jackets and badgers to make the matching hats, and I am the first customer, just waiting on the correct zips now! :lol:

269sqnhudson

John Lever said:
Yes the start of another Eastman bashing thread. It is all starting to get tedious and boring.

Well John I've been a regular customer of Eastman since 1997 and am often a supporter of Eastman on various threads. I don't even have any Goodwears! I am merely pointing out a change that may be of interest and may need some clarification being that the NOS zips were quite a sales point for some.