• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC New Repro Talon

269sqnhudson

Hi,

I just noticed having looked at a new ELC Star A2 for sale on Ebay and the new ELC AN-J-4 page that they are no longer using NOS Talon zips but rather a new generation of repro...the M42 Talon as they call it. All use of the words original or 'NOS' have been removed and if you look at the Star A2 pics on their site (taken when they used a WWII zip) and the new AN-J-4 there are slight differences.

Original
A-2StarWHmont_zpsec0766dd.jpg

New repro on AN-J-4
ANJ4ELCWH_zps636018e8.jpg

Ebay listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/EASTMAN-Lea...pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item4607dcb9e9

The new repros appear to have solved the over-rounded slider-top issue that goes back decades which is great but they appear a bit flat somehow.
It's also a bit annoying that it's not clear it's a repro, it's a bit ambiguous.

Thoughts?

dmar836

Appears to be a cast slider and the original stamped. The pull and box are fine IMO but that slider really falls short. It would be fine for me and my one-off projects and those of us on a budget but for a "leader" in the repro industry that has always boasted about stitch count and said things like, "...we've had made just for us", it isn't up to snuff.
JMO,
Dave

A

Anonymous

After successfully replicating the crowns and kwiks
I wonder how they can't match the Talon which is the simplest design.

But knowing how unbelievably hard it is to get all the materials right, I can't blame them.

colekwok

PLATON said:
But knowing how unbelievably hard it is to get all the materials right, I can't blame them.

Platon, that is true, but with their recsources and their tide with Buzz Rickson/Toyo Industires, this is just beyond believe.

I also don't like the fact that they do not even state clearly that they are using repros, it is a kind of fraud to me. On top of this with the VAT issue that we raised here earlier, maybe ELC has lost the plot a bit.

havocpaul

Here we go, more Eastman-bashing :( It's not 'fraud' unless they say it's a NOS Talon... it actually says "authentic WW2 style" that to me is not at all misleading..there was never going to be an unlimited supply of NOS WW2 zips of any kind and it has nothing to do with BR having them or not, Eastman are just their European agent.

ButteMT61

havocpaul said:
Yes, John, the dumbing down of so many posts these days, getting very tedious....and repetitious. :(

The site is to discuss jackets, and associated makers (inter alia).
If a company has a shortfall, I like hearing about it. Every maker (with the possible exception of GW) has been the "target" of discussion. There are those that support certain brands to the derision of others. I think most here are capable of separating the chaff from the meat.
I like certain brands, but I'm not going to defend any of them if someone has data to show they're doing something inappropriate.
It was hard reading the Aero/ELC VAT threads. It was hard when Aero USA went down. I like(d) Mark and I like Aero.

I like JC and GW. I've not done business with ELC, but I've never particularly liked their offerings, sans the redskin B-6.
If someone is posting lies, then that's different. If it's opinions based on something we can verify, let the chips fall where they may. It's my (your) money. There are options, and I want mine to go to the one that deserves it most.

< / r a n t >

Dr H

ButteMT61 said:
I like JC and GW. I've not done business with ELC, but I've never particularly liked their offerings, sans the redskin B-6>

Then you need to see the B-10 and A-1 up close :-D

Dr H

I managed to wear my A-1 in SF, but it was autumn as I recall (but still pretty warm at noon). :roll:

derleicaman

[/quote]

The site is to discuss jackets, and associated makers (inter alia).
If a company has a shortfall, I like hearing about it. Every maker (with the possible exception of GW) has been the "target" of discussion. There are those that support certain brands to the derision of others. I think most here are capable of separating the chaff from the meat.
[/quote]

Now Scott, you're offending vegetarians! Seperate the wheat from the chaff. :D