• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman or HPA?

A

Anonymous

Great news for ELC fans in the USA. Don't care for middle men, nothing but delay and higher prices for their "service".

jschare

Well, I went right to the source and sent an email to ELC asking if I could order from them or if I had to order from HPA. Here is Gary's reply:

"Dear Jeff,

Thanks for your enquiry. You can order from whoever you like. We look forward to receivin your order either way.

Many thanks.
Best regards,
Gary "

T-Bolt

John Lever said:
In the present climate, it would be unwise to turn away any business.

Very true statement, John. One factor about our current economic situation is that "customer service" may become popular again in the retail community, as a way to get a "leg up" on the competition.

Ted

donsom

John Lever said:
Strange how we all seem to loathe ' middle men ' but that is what every shop [store] is !!

Just as an observation ...

In my daily dealings, I'm involved with quite a few of these companies. In the past few years, they have been using middlemen to sell their product, thereby giving them more orders in more places and not having to worry about internalizing it as part of their own company.

What I have been seeing is that those same companies are now cutting out the middlemen to a large extent and finding it is more beneficial to "hold their cards close to their chest".

Large inventory is now a thing of the past .. and shipping (even internationally) can now be accomplished effectively and efficiently (for the most part) over a few days. People do a LOT more shopping online now, so that has "shrunk" the world as well. Also, when people spend big dollars, they now expect great service and an excellent product (but I suppose that hasn't changed). It does depend on the size of the company to be sure.

John, you are very correct though in saying that literally every shop IS a middleman ...

Hawkeye

However in HPAs defense they do sell the Buzz Rickson stuff at substantially lower prices than Eastman.

TankBuster

I agree. If you're in the US or Canada and want a Eastman jacket, order it direct from Eastman. If you want a Rickson, HPA is the way to go.

drew parker

jschare said:
Has anyone from the US seen a benefit to ordering from HPA rather than Eastman directly? If you order directly from the Eastman website, the cost including shipping would be around $760. Whereas, if you order from HPA, the cost would be over $800.
Hello all: Just for the record, I talked to HPA in late sept. 08 and they quoted me 925.00 including shipping for a1401 RW. Charles said the price went up.

C.J.

I think it's hit or miss. Every time I've spoken with Charles or Ginna, it's been a pleasure. I just ordered a pair of A-10's from HPA this afternoon. The price between them and ELC was very similar for the gloves and I get them over night because I live in the same state as HPA. But, seeing the rather large price difference between HPA and ELC for an Irvin, I'll probably go with ELC for that one.

tgd31968

C.J. said:
I think it's hit or miss. Every time I've spoken with Charles or Ginna, it's been a pleasure. I just ordered a pair of A-10's from HPA this afternoon. The price between them and ELC was very similar for the gloves and I get them over night because I live in the same state as HPA. But, seeing the rather large price difference between HPA and ELC for an Irvin, I'll probably go with ELC for that one.[/quote

]

No matter how wonderful HPA is, for a B-3, you are looking at $725 USD direct from ELC vs $1400 USD at HPA. Even if you pay 6% duty, you still come out $631 USD ahead. I wish I had checked ELC direct before ordering my Aero. I would have considered ELC more seriously at that price. However, I did not realize there was an option other than HPA until now.
It would be a bad move for ELC not to sell direct and advertise here more. I looked at HPA $1400 and said No way for a jacket. I mean, $1400 for a JACKET! I paid a total of $2000 for my first TWO cars I owned.

I immediately went to Aero. So, ELC lost a potential sale with HPA's double the price. With the problems I am having with my Aero, I am now doubley sorry I didn't know about ELC direct.

Terry

FLATHEAD

tgd31968 said:
C.J. said:
I immediately went to Aero. So, ELC lost a potential sale with HPA's double the price. With the problems I am having with my Aero, I am now doubley sorry I didn't know about ELC direct.

Terry

What problems are you having with your Aero? Is it something that they could fix? Or is it too
big of a problem?

Jim

C.J.

tgd31968 said:
C.J. said:
I think it's hit or miss. Every time I've spoken with Charles or Ginna, it's been a pleasure. I just ordered a pair of A-10's from HPA this afternoon. The price between them and ELC was very similar for the gloves and I get them over night because I live in the same state as HPA. But, seeing the rather large price difference between HPA and ELC for an Irvin, I'll probably go with ELC for that one.[/quote

]

No matter how wonderful HPA is, for a B-3, you are looking at $725 USD direct from ELC vs $1400 USD at HPA. Even if you pay 6% duty, you still come out $631 USD ahead. I wish I had checked ELC direct before ordering my Aero. I would have considered ELC more seriously at that price. However, I did not realize there was an option other than HPA until now.
It would be a bad move for ELC not to sell direct and advertise here more. I looked at HPA $1400 and said No way for a jacket. I mean, $1400 for a JACKET! I paid a total of $2000 for my first TWO cars I owned.

Terry

You're right. If I had known I could buy directly from ELC, I would have gotten an Irvin from them for about $400 less than HPA rather than the RW 1401 I just bought.

tgd31968

FLATHEAD said:
tgd31968 said:
C.J. said:

Terry

What problems are you having with your Aero? Is it something that they could fix? Or is it too
big of a problem?

Jim

Aero is working out the problem. There is a thread about it in general posts under pacing like an expectant father.

Terry

donsom

Guys ... I kinda torn here. In a way, its good because you now know you can order direct (and save $$ )... but its too bad you didn't know before.

I suppose I feel somewhat responsible cause I started the whole thing by letting you know how I ordered my B-3 directly form ELC.

My background and work ALWAYS has me trying to find the sources for everything. It's part of my over-analytic nature I suppose.

I apologize if I caused a storm here ...

Hawkeye

Storm? What storm? I for one am grateful, this information is likely to save us all hundreds of dollars.

Swing

donsom said:
I apologize if I caused a storm here ...

No storm, and honestly it's something ELC should have been announced on their website. A major policy change, and you don't make your customers aware of it? :? I wonder how much longer I waited and how much extra I paid for my B-15 last fall by going through HPA when I possibly could have bought direct from ELC?

Let's see hide of default, bogus RW B-6s, and now you don't make customers aware of a policy change that could save them hundreds of dollars and months of waiting.... time to expand John, and corner the A-2 market in the US.

~Swing

Cliff

I don't think there has been a "major" policy change at ELC . They still have the HPA link on their website "Store" page so I am sure ELC intend US and Canadian customers to order through the HPA website.

However not long ago I seem to remember that an order from a US / Canadian address would have been guided politely to HPA. It appears from what our US friends are saying that this is no longer the case. I wonder where ELC stands legally with HPA on this or could it be that their arrangement, whether formal or informal has been changed or cancelled.

regards

Cliff