• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman or HPA?

jschare

Has anyone from the US seen a benefit to ordering from HPA rather than Eastman directly? If you order directly from the Eastman website, the cost including shipping would be around $760. Whereas, if you order from HPA, the cost would be over $800.

T-Bolt

My understanding is that U.S. customers are required to order from HPA......unless the goods in question are a one of a kind or sale type item.

Ted

donsom

I ordered my B-3 Redskin directly from Eastman.

When I spoke with them (at Eastman), they said that I didn't have to order through the HPA and that's part of the reason why they've gone with the online store. This is why I'm not sure why they are still using the HPA site to tell you the truth. I think they would do a lot more sales if they didn't advertise it that way. I looked at what was required initially by HPA (all fax based, from a book you have to buy, etc. etc.). Far to convoluted for me.

So, I'm in Canada, and I contacted them a couple of times (using VOIP via computer and headset ... Skype @ .02cents /minute overseas to U.K.), initially for questions, ... then later for a progress and shipping number (they don't like using email there for some reason).

I actually got the jacket early (they had to make it) ... via ParceForce (Intl. DataPost) which is trackable. Once it hits Canada, ... XpressPost (Canada) takes over the delivery. I did have to pay duty, but I expected that. It arrived without even a nick in the package.

Not sure about the U.S., but .. get yourself set up with Skype ... and then give them a call. They are always helpful.

Here are pics ... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2350

Hawkeye

Im glad to hear that if you live in canada you can still order directly from eastman. I'd like to get a 42 pattern Irvin sometime in the next few years and the difference between Eastman and HPAs prices is in the hundreds of dollars.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
donsom said:
When I spoke with them (at Eastman), they said that I didn't have to order through the HPA and that's part of the reason why they've gone with the online store. This is why I'm not sure why they are still using the HPA site to tell you the truth. I think they would do a lot more sales if they didn't advertise it that way. I looked at what was required initially by HPA (all fax based, from a book you have to buy, etc. etc.). Far to convoluted for me.

HPA are not Eastman .... they are a retailer with exclusive rights to sell Eastman products to the US market.

I have ordered from HPA, and it couldn't have been easier. Just a simple telephone call to discuss sizing, and then a credit card number, and shipping address. HPA always ship as a 'gift' which may help some buyers.

And yes, they are usually more expensive on the ELC products, and I guess they do pay duty, and shipping ...... with the Buzz Rickson clothing they are cheaper than Eastman, and carry a bigger range.

donsom

deeb7 said:
HPA are not Eastman .... they are a retailer with exclusive rights to sell Eastman products to the US market.

Thanks, I did know that they were not Eastman ... and thought that they might be a U.S. dealer and using part of the sales to fund their Association.

deeb7 said:
I have ordered from HPA, and it couldn't have been easier. Just a simple telephone call to discuss sizing, and then a credit card number, and shipping address. HPA always ship as a 'gift' which may help some buyers.

I did try to call ... twice ... but was unable to get a response (probably my fault). Also, as strange as this might sound, I like the idea of talking to someone on the phone first, but ordering through a secure online channel which provides an immediate receipt for proof of order. That's just my preference. Also, isn't shipping as "gift" nullify any insurance on shipping? albeit getting it past duty payments....

deeb7 said:
And yes, they are usually more expensive on the ELC products, and I guess they do pay duty, and shipping ...... with the Buzz Rickson clothing they are cheaper than Eastman, and carry a bigger range.

It would be interesting to know the cost/commision/shipping scale that they are using. I can fully understand if they are using part of the profits for supporting their Association.

All very interesting .... and thanks for the insight ....

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
donsom said:
I did try to call ... twice ... but was unable to get a response (probably my fault). Also, as strange as this might sound, I like the idea of talking to someone on the phone first, but ordering through a secure online channel which provides an immediate receipt for proof of order. That's just my preference. Also, isn't shipping as "gift" nullify any insurance on shipping? albeit getting it past duty payments....

Oh okay .... I'm just as happy to order from a person. The insurance is unaffected, as cover is the declared value amount.

Thanks, I did know that they were not Eastman ... and thought that they might be a U.S. dealer and using part of the sales to fund their Association.
It would be interesting to know the cost/commision/shipping scale that they are using. I can fully understand if they are using part of the profits for supporting their Association.

History Preservation Associates is just their trading name. I don't believe it's meant to imply that they're supporting any altruistic endeavours. :)

Hawkeye

Just for kicks I was browsing around the eastman site and looked at their checkout system, they now have Canada and the United States listed for shipping destinations (which they did not have last year, which was when I last checked.) So it looks like you can simply use the normal checkout system without going through any special hoops.

Chandler

Hawkeye said:
they now have Canada and the United States listed for shipping destinations

That's probably for the sale/used items only.

Note the link at the far lower left: US & Canadian Customers Please Click Here.

Chandler

Hawkeye

Chandler said:
Hawkeye said:
they now have Canada and the United States listed for shipping destinations

That's probably for the sale/used items only.

Chandler

I dont think so, without going the whole 9 yards and actually ordering a jacket I dont know for sure, but the option was there when I added a jacket to the checkout cart...

Chandler

Yeah, but once you chose the option and then actually clicked "check out," I'd bet it would tell you that you'd need to go through HPA -- unless it was a Re-Issue Depot Item.

Chandler

Swing

Chandler said:
Yeah, but once you chose the option and then actually clicked "check out," I'd bet it would tell you that you'd need to go through HPA -- unless it was a Re-Issue Depot Item.

Chandler

I'd be suprised if ELC was letting North American customers go around HPA on regular items. I agree, you can probably only deal directly with ELC on sale items.

~Swing

donsom

Gentlemen ... I ordered my new Rough Wear B-3 DIRECTLY from ELC ... via the online ordering. It did NOT go back to HPA at ANY time during the process (I am located in Ontario, Canada).

After the order is placed online, you immediately get a confirmation page (which I saved and printed) and an email. The confirmation page contains:

1. The order reference number
2. The final dollar amount of the order
3. A note referencing delivery time
4. Information on how the parcel was to be shipped
5. Contact information

Again, ... I did call Eastman BEFORE I placed the order online inquiring as to if I could do so. I also checked in with them once during the process ... and then again for the tracking number once the jacket was shipped.

The jacket actually arrived 1 week earlier than anticipated. There were no troubles ... all very seamless.

I deal directly and indirectly with firms on a daily basis where I work. I have to say that I really dislike "middlemen" within the process and would much rather deal directly at any time. Being able to actually speak with someone from the company, who is in the same location as the company, and is involved in the day to day processes of the company speaks volumes to me personally. It is rare indeed to be able to have this type of "personal" contact.

I also fully understand that many people here have had excellent dealings with HPA, but I did not use them, so I can not honestly comment on it.

I personally fully support dealing directly with ELC ... and will continue to do so in the future if at all possible.

My 2 cents ....

Swing

That's suprising, I guess there's been some change in policy. How long did it take to get your B-3, from order to delivery?

~Swing

Chandler

donsom said:
t did NOT go back to HPA at ANY time during the process (I am located in Ontario, Canada).

I wonder if it has something to do with a Canadian order -- and maybe in cross-over changes in the state of the economy world-wide?

I agree with Swing, HPA has been the sole distributor in the US for so long, I can't see that changing unless there are drastic changes going on between the 2 companies.

Chandler

Swing

donsom said:
Total time was under 3 weeks from order to shipping...

Probably two months quicker than it would be with HPA (assuming your size isn't in stock), and for an American it would be $670 cheaper buying a RW B-3 directly from ELC (and $200 cheaper for a B-10, B-15, or Werber A-2).

If ELC is dealing direct with everyone now, I wouldn't expect HPA to last very long. Only jackets that would be competetively priced would be the Star, Cable, Monarch, and RW A-2s.

~Swing

donsom

When I initially called to ask some questions, the jacket was not in stock ( I actually heard them put down the phone and go into the warehouse to check ... :) ).

The person who I spoke to told me that they would have to make it (size 44).

Again, I was impressed by their service AND the fact that I could speak with someone at the factory/company. This is very important to me ... and as I mentioned, very rare.

indigo_junkie

Swing said:
If ELC is dealing direct with everyone now, I wouldn't expect HPA to last very long. Only jackets that would be competetively priced would be the Star, Cable, Monarch, and RW A-2s.

~Swing

I first heard about HPA when I was looking for a pair of Sugarcane 1955s a few years back. Considering that you can order them from a proxy for about 2/3 the price they were asking, I thought the pricing was ridiculous. Now with Hinoya and other Rakuten stores opening up for worldwide shipping, their prices for all Sugarcane and Buzz Rickson gear can now be undercut by a substantial margin. It's not wholly HPA's fault. Toyo has set steep markups on all of their international accounts. Selfedge has the same problem, but at least they offer free worldwide shipping to stay somewhat competitive. I don't expect HPA to last very long either.