• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman or HPA?

Swing

Cliff said:
I don't think there has been a "major" policy change at ELC .

I dunno, going from you HAVE to order from HPA to you don't have to is fairly major. And IMO it's wrong not to publicly annouce to US and Canadian customers that they can now deal directly with ELC. Just imagine if you'd just spent $500 to $600 extra buying an Irvin or RW B-3 from HPA when you could have gone through ELC. I know I'd be super fucking pissed.

~Swing

Cliff

I take your point and I would be very annoyed too to find out that I could have used a quicker & cheaper process to purchase a jacket. But I am just saying that as they have not removed the HPA link it's not really a major policy change. It seems a to be more of a lapse of what were apparently some rigid rules that they once adhered to. Why this has occurred and how long it's been going on appears to be a mystery. Maybe ELC found out that HPA was charging US customers more. Maybe there was some creative pricing after an exchange rate fluctuation. Either way I agree that it's not good customer service or practice to overcharge through one purchase channel whilst allowing those "in the know" to use another more purchasing route. Communication does not appear to be ELCs strong point.

zoomer

Cliff said:
Either way I agree that it's not good customer service or practice to overcharge through one purchase channel whilst allowing those "in the know" to use another more purchasing route. Communication does not appear to be ELCs strong point.
Hey, in-the-know discounts are common practice in any sales line. Flightsuits.com did this for quite awhile - raised all G&B prices $100 but grandfathered in prior customers for 6 mo or so. All you had to do was order thru one particular rep and mention the old price.

However, it's a different deal when you're dealing with TWO companies, one of which claims exclusivity for your area.

Always beware the middleman. He lives by his wits, and if he has to lie or cheat to survive, he does so and calls it Business.

Then again, the craftsman is not by nature a communicator. He feels he should be judged on his work and his work alone. He dislikes talk and protects his secrets, sometimes to the point that he invites misunderstanding.

Hawkeye

This news is even better for those of us in Canada. With our dollar having dropped recently, we have to pay an extra 20 cents on every dollar if we buy at HPA, while our dollar is holding fairly steady with the British pound. For a Canadian buying a 1940 pattern Irvin from HPA, with the exchange comes out to 1731.00 CND (!!!!). However, to buy the same direct from Eastman, the price comes to 1009.00. A 700.00 savings is not exactly pocket change. The 42 pattern is even cheaper, coming out to 878.00 CND. I think the choice is pretty clear.

TankBuster

I had been dealing with ELC on a house B-6 for a couple
weeks prior, it shipped out last Saturday. So I guess I would
qualify. I saved $300 by going thru Eastman vs. HPA.
I have bought direct from Eastman before. So I don't know
how long this has been going on. What I do know is that
$725 is a darn good deal for a brand new house B-6!! ;)

donsom

IMO ...

1. It is distinctly possible that ELC may not have been totally comfortable with direct online ordering (out of country, etc.) initially in the "internet age". Their current online store is not as elaborate as many I have used .. but gets the job done nonetheless. They may also not have wanted their own staff to handle orders, or do direct one-to-one shipping.

2. Prior to online ordering, ELC would (much like any manufacturer) try to acquire as many people to carry their product for them as they could ... especially internationally where they let someone else do the legwork. Every middleman needs their profit cut ... which means the price of the jacket goes up. The internet severely "shrinks" that by offering direct ordering in some cases.

3. I may have no clue whatsoever ... and my first two guesses could be hogwash... :)

Business models change/evolve over time due to both opportunity and necessity. This may have been either one of these for ELC.

THE BEST PART about ordering from them was being able to talk to someone who actually works at Eastman, where they manufacture the product, and who has an abundance of experience in the product.... Beyond the actual quality of the product, this was the "icing on the cake".

I do hope that they keep offering a high quality product at a fair price. Like BMW, ... not everyone can afford them, wants them, or has them,... but those that do love them. It's a business model that works. Distinct and quality product for the price, with a high amount of one on one support. Something special...

Cliff

You have a point, in the early days ELC was just a mail order company. Some UK museums also carried a small range of their jackets, mainly A2s and Irvins but that was it. I don't know of any outlets now that actually stock ELC products these days. I believe even Duxford & Hendon only keep the obligatory Aviation Leathercraft Irvins now......with pockets ! :lol: :lol: