• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you consider an A-2 w/handwarmers to be a "real" A-2?

johnnynotoes-1

I ordered an 'A-1' from USAuthentic a while ago...WITH SLASH POCKETS!!! The patch pockets were dispensed with entirely in lieu of said slash. So It ain't an A-1 repro no mo'. It's a bastard. And a fine wee bastard it is...fits like dandy and best of all??? Ah looks purty good innit! Bastard youngsters need love too! If they be handsome to boot then they rate as what they are. Depending on the genes and the parents [materials@maker] then what you have is a tough hardwearing piece of clothing to be proud of.

That aside I agree with Zoomer on the cut of an A-2 when side entries are introduced. Fouls up the cut. Might look good on some and others not. Whatever the config., if the jacket fits [and you like the thing] wear it. Of course as long as it reflects and proves quality and durability. That's the bottom line in any fine style I figure. Just a thought...what would Eastman for example have said had I asked for slash pockets??? Fiery wooden tri-prop on my front lawn maybe? Aw hell....I liked the idea and she looks fine. Aye bastard chile, I loves ye!

Happy New Years and here's to good health!

MikeyB-17

Let's face it, the only 'real' A-2 is an original. In terms of repros, we can argue 'til the cows come home what's authentic, but to be authentic it really has to be reproducing the original 1931 specifications. The further it strays from that, the less authentic it is. It could be argued that even John A-2's are not 'real' A-2's because they are not USAAF issued jackets, but in their accuracy and attention to detail in reproducing the original specs they are certainly authentic. The original specs had no handwarmers, thus anything with them is not authentic. But if you're not interested in WWII, what's the problem? If that's the case, then authenticity is not an issue for you, so buy what suits you.
I don't have a lot of time for the concept of what's 'real'-it's a thing often mentioned when speaking of something in derogatory terms, and is entirely based on individual opinion-you're not a 'real' biker if you don't ride X, you're not a 'real' guitarist if you don't play X-there you are doing it, but apparently you're aren't 'real'. Daft.

Curahee

zoomer said:
Vcruiser said:
Yeah...but it's still NOT a REAL A2...
...just as a Zoomer in a tutu couldn't be the real
Zoomer. Er...on second thought...
When Mistress Larisa Alexandrovna says "wear the tutu," zoomer wears the frikkin tutu.

So is that why you're in full gear in you avatar ? but with or without tutu I wonder ?

mcqueen

MikeyB-17 said:
I don't have a lot of time for the concept of what's 'real'-it's a thing often mentioned when speaking of something in derogatory terms, and is entirely based on individual opinion-you're not a 'real' biker if you don't ride X, you're not a 'real' guitarist if you don't play X-there you are doing it, but apparently you're aren't 'real'. Daft.
Except, then what's the point of collecting vintage leather jackets? It's cheaper and much easier to just pick something up at the mall. No girl you'll ever meet will be able to tell the difference. In fact, most of them are wondering why your jacket doesn't have the map printed on the liner.

The reason any of us go to these these lengths is to put ourselves in a specific class. It's for our own ego. So I say, indulge -- be an exclusive asshole. A-2s don't have warmers and anyone with a warmer in their jacket is a degenerate that is only contributing the the dumbing of society.

Oh, but that guy with the mall jacket will probably get laid at a rate of 10:1 over the jacket nerds.
:|

MikeyB-17

mcqueen said:
MikeyB-17 said:
Except, then what's the point of collecting vintage leather jackets? It's cheaper and much easier to just pick something up at the mall. No girl you'll ever meet will be able to tell the difference. In fact, most of them are wondering why your jacket doesn't have the map printed on the liner.

The reason any of us go to these these lengths is to put ourselves in a specific class. It's for our own ego. So I say, indulge -- be an exclusive a**hole. A-2s don't have warmers and anyone with a warmer in their jacket is a degenerate that is only contributing the the dumbing of society.

Oh, but that guy with the mall jacket will probably get laid at a rate of 10:1 over the jacket nerds.
:|

Sure, I agree-I have no problem with being exclusive and trying to create something 'authentic' that others might not understand, it's the concept of something not being 'real' that I think is daft. 'Oh, that's not a real A-2 because it doesn't have X'-of course it's not real, it's a repro! Whether it's an accurate/authentic repro is an entirely different kettle of fish, and of course the source of much debate. In terms of repros we know they're not 'real'-no repro is-so to say something isn't 'real' because it has handwarmers strikes me as a bit silly.
I do wonder how many of us collect jackets to get laid, however. I'd be curious to know if anybody here has ever 'gotten laid' because they collected flight jackets. Oil wells, luxury yachts, mansions, yes, but flight jackets? Compliments maybe, but I've sure as hell never gotten laid through wearing a flight jacket. Perhaps it's just me. :D

Vcruiser

I got laid once..because I was wearing real Texan Cowboy Boots...but then she was a real Cowgirl. After all the commotion...both were really repros...but then who cared?
Dawg

hacker

MikeyB-17 said:
.........I do wonder how many of us collect jackets to get laid, however. I'd be curious to know if anybody here has ever 'gotten laid' because they collected flight jackets. Oil wells, luxury yachts, mansions, yes, but flight jackets? Compliments maybe, but I've sure as hell never gotten laid through wearing a flight jacket. Perhaps it's just me. :D

Your question might be best posted in the how to section, or perhaps members bios........

BTW, I've gotten screwed wearing one...does that count?

Hacker

Vcruiser

hacker said:
MikeyB-17 said:
.........I do wonder how many of us collect jackets to get laid, however. I'd be curious to know if anybody here has ever 'gotten laid' because they collected flight jackets. Oil wells, luxury yachts, mansions, yes, but flight jackets? Compliments maybe, but I've sure as hell never gotten laid through wearing a flight jacket. Perhaps it's just me. :D

Your question might be best posted in the how to section, or perhaps members bios........

Hacker

I betcha one of them Falcos would sure get a guy laid!...Maybe even at several thousand feet..and you don't need to worry about staying between the lines!
What say you? Now that would be REAL...by gawd ;)

hacker

Vcruiser said:
I betcha one of them Falcos would sure get a guy laid!...Maybe even at several thousand feet..and you don't need to worry about staying between the lines!

Gotta keep the stick in your hand so you don't stall :oops:

usafwso

NO! NO!! NO!!! gloves are for keeping your hands warm. Interestingly one of the design features of the CWU-36 & 45 jackets was to make it difficult to keep your hands in the pockets.

Hands in pockets except to grab for something looks sloppy.

Chandler

usafwso said:
Hands in pockets except to grab for something looks sloppy.

Maybe, but take a look at the pics of the Doolittle Raiders (Chapman has a link at the GW site) -- I was surprised to see so many "slackers" in that group... :roll:

Chandler

jacketimp

hacker said:
Vcruiser said:

Gotta keep the stick in your hand so you don't stall :oops:

stick..... as in JOY-stik...............???

jacketimp

hacker said:
MikeyB-17 said:

Hacker

who did the screwing, duane?

A

Anonymous

I got well and truly screwed buying flight jackets in the early days. Does that count ? ;)

Dave :ugeek:

rich

I know this is a digression, but why would the N-1 ( a military spec jacket? ) have been designed with 2 slash pockets? OK to handwarm in the Navy? Just another idle thought...................